1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple Updates Processors & Prices of MacBook Pro with Retina Display

Discussion in 'News' started by Cristian_25H, Feb 13, 2013.

1. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, but 13" is too small for "professional use". They're getting it right with higher resolution, but they need a larger screen at this price point.
  2. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    how is it too small for professional use? if you have a 27 inch LCD with 1600p resolution attached to a desktop, wouldn't you want the same thing on a mobile platform? The point is the resolution, not the display size. If you are out on a freighter mapping possible locations for an oil rig and you are viewing deep sea 10000x10000 images wouldn't you like to look at them on a retina display laptop or tablet first before shipping them off to the desk jockies back at the office to further analyze? let's say you are up in the ISS and one of your jobs is to take super high res photos of the earth. You can't obviously lug a desktop up there but you still need a display that makes it easy to get around with. Let's say you are working with a patient who has been immobilized and you want to show him or her the latest x-ray scans before the printouts are available and you don't want to cart around one of those massive workstations on wheels. You can show them the high res scan on a 13in laptop and manipulate the image easily while you explain what the patient is seeing so he or she better understands the care they are getting and can make the best future care decision.

i could go on all day the ways professionals can and do use retina displays on small devices like a 13in laptop or a tablet. it makes sense because they already do this stuff but are chained down to those massive monitors. now they can be mobile and have the same advantages.
  3. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sit closer, and your 13" will look like 26". Easy
  4. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    All those things you listed could easily be done on a lower resolution device with a bigger screen for far cheaper. 13" is to small man for any real professional work. Sorry.
    Prima.Vera and brandonwh64 say thanks.
  5. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    oh, im sorry i thought you left this thread. also, i notice you did not rebutt one of my examples and you still have completely ignored by real life story of retina display use by doctors. so...please go away.
  6. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I rebutted all your examples in one shot. KABOOM!

Oil rig sending them off? Most are streamed real time.
    ISS. Same thing.
    Doctor? Already debunked that.

And Oil companies can afford better things then 13" Airs. Really these new 13"s are just marketing at its finest. Poor mans MBP.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  7. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Guys, guys, what if MBA Retina 13" was created as a "want" item rather than a "need" item? We can stop arguing and make up now :toast:

Before you fine gentlemen come up with a witty remark, think of all those graphic cards, they exist because we want to play games, not because we need :D
  8. mandis New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think people in this thread simply love to argue as there is no other rational explanation for what has been posted here... :peace:

I think the 15" Retina model has pretty decent specs. I know the price is high but It's good to buy high quality stuff every now and then. Looks great too! :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  9. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    I have bad news for you .... Apple's quality, while still somewhat better than your budget stuff, is no better than competition nowadays.
  10. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    If I had the money I would simply buy the 15" screen and just use it for my computer. I don't care for size too much (15" is fine), I care about dpi because I'm not fucking blind like Darkleoco over there.
  11. aayman_farzand

Thanks Received:
    I honestly did not expect anyone to argue the need for any high-end component here in TPU.

I for one would definitely get one of these if I was in the market for one and I had the cash to spare. Looking at an iPad display, I can't stand my MBA's display anymore, and even my desktop monitor feels annoying at times. The experience is better, plain and simple.

I hope other OEMs catch up and start matching the resolution. At least we'd then get some quality display at the sub-$1000 market without compromising on anything else.
  12. NC37

NC37

Thanks Received:
    I wonder how much more glue Apple is using to keep them together this time. ;D
  13. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Glue is pretty effective, it holds violin parts together for decades if not centuries.
  14. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    You know what works better than glue? Steel screws.
  15. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Over engineering is a problem just as much as under engineering.
  16. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    Guys relax. Those "retina" displays can only be used by Apple users and their OS. I mean I have to agree, everything looks better when posting to Facebook, TPU, browsing pictures and play online card games or stuff. And lets cut the crap with professional use and such because id getting ridiculous. As far as I'm concerned, those 13" laptops are just toys for snobs, fanboys and the rest of vanity users that wants to show off and think they are better than the rest. No need for proof, I have a lot of "friends" that thinks exactly like this. So those products are EXACTLY for those type of users. Apple marketing at its finest ;)
  17. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    So how do you classify people with 3930K, 7970 crossfire to play games at 1080p? Surely they are snobs too, no?
  18. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Blind snobs.
  19. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Depends on the game. Metro 2033 maxed out? ;)
  20. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Pretty dangerous to live in this post recession world, you are not allowed to have nice shiny toys lest you will be called a snob :eek:
  21. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    Agree. But how do you call a guy who owns an iPhone 4 and then buys an iPhone 4S just to have the latest? ;)

Just a little off topic now. Maybe I'm wrong, but the game seems kinda un-optimized if you ask me. I mean the graphics is not that jaw dropping to justify that low fps in some areas.
    Also there are a lot of console ports out there are even worst optimized that can put a crossfire system to its knees on 1080p.
  22. wickerman

wickerman

Thanks Received:
    I'd put them in a whole other category given such a laughably low resolution wouldn't tax half that graphics system in most properly optimized games.

Apple has always targeted "professionals", but when you do that you also wind up attracting people with money who think they need "professional" hardware even if that is not the reality. Hell how many times have there been threads at TPU or other forums popping up where people saying they have like 5 grand to spend on a PC and want to buy the best parts they can get for that, even if all they do is use facebook and play counterstrike from time to time. Apple really doesn't make any low end products in the way that HP and Dell do, they don't have anything based around Celerons and Atoms, everything uses a pretty high end Intel chip, is available with an SSD, and none of their laptops use the crappy 1366x768 panels that most laptop vendors are forcing on the market.
  23. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    A guy who accidently killed his iPhone 4?
    Aquinus says thanks.
  24. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Why would this be anyone else's business?
  25. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Ever use a 13" Macbook Pro without Retina?
    I don't call 1280x800 better than 1366x768.

[​IMG]
    Source

Worked well for my programming needs. I took the Air because I had the option. I like the higher resolution, the lighter weight, and the IVB i5 is just as peppy as the SB i5 with better battery life and an SSD. I guess it depends on what you consider "professional use." I see a DJ being perfectly happy with a 13" MBP just as I was happy with it being a system admin and a programmer.

Attached Files: