1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple Updates Processors & Prices of MacBook Pro with Retina Display

Discussion in 'News' started by Cristian_25H, Feb 13, 2013.

1. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    I agree with you there. They are definitely not as reliable now as they were before. Even HP and Dell has improved and really narrow the gap of quality between their products. I still think apple has a slight lead. But with all the recent launches of products and problems...i get the feeling apple is more revenue than quality now. That apple premium is harder to justify now besides their retina screen.

I'm speaking from trying out products at stores and observations from my friends. Their laptops just feel solid, well constructed, hinges are not sloppy, and keyboards doesn't feel sloppy. For longevity, I know ipods and ipads are pretty durable. I drop my ipad on the hardwood floor from my bed damn near every day and it hasn't broken yet. I still have the really old ipod 30GB I bought probably over 6 years ago and it still works. I don't use it anymore since my phone can play mp3 just fine.
  2. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    their phone, tablet and notebooks are all solid IMO too. I think the other brands are catching up now. The new HTC and Nokia phones feels almost as solid. The Galaxy S3 feels too plasticky for my liking.

Elitebooks are definitely well constructed but I think still slightly behind Macbooks. I'm surprised that Lenovo was able to keep QC up. They are pretty good too for a Chinese brand and price range.

You bent the keyboard? maybe i'm a light typer but I always test the feel of keyboards when I try out laptops. I've never bent any before. Although i still have nightmares with HPs a few years back when their laptops start popping buttons and panels after a few months of use. Their construction was pretty abysmal and they tried to cover it up with shiny plastic smh.
  3. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Good Elitebooks eat Macbooks alive when it comes to build quality. Also, Lenovo's heritage comes from the legendary IBM build quality, to think that its going to disappear within 5 years is an insult to IBM. Only those lines coming from IBM though, like their business Thinkpads

I think he is talking about keyboard flex here, rather than "bent keyboard"

Also, don't doublepost, use edit
  4. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    yup. the easy way to tell if a laptop is going to last you more than 2 years is to simply type on it. also, open and close the display a whole bunch of times to see if it feels cheap. those are the two major tells.
  5. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    There is a reason I went with the aluminum cased Onda. It has good reviews no one has complained about build quality of it. No more hickups than you find with the ipads. The only gain with the Ipad is support which I have none of right now (deployed) and software which is a custom firmware from fixing that on the Onda.

Bad comparison. Freaksaviors MBP is in way worse shape than my Gateway netbook both are roughly the same age. I have been a lot harder on mine than him (he is rather careful) two deployments a CPU upgrade and overclocked since day one my netbook soldiers on with all of its keys and fully functioning everything. His lacks keys and you can tell its a bit worn... $349 netbook outlasting a $2500 MBP? what quality.
  6. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    i doubt it. ive seen used $150 macbooks outlast brand new gateways that cost $2000 after 6 years. please....just another person employed by dell...
  7. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    This gateway is the only laptop I have ever purchased. I looked at a 13" macbook at the time and it honestly felt cheaper. Having seen the models from that generation at work still most of them at the minimum are missing keys, couple on second screens most have a 10 minute battery life. Guess it comes down to personal preference personally I prefer not to buy apple. They are a perfectly average laptop with an awesome PR team that makes you think you need apple. No better than beats headphones.
  8. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Have you purchased a ThinkPad recently? Or any Lenovo product? My ThinkPad X230 had a paint job/finish issue on the garbage trackpad, my sister's X120e is falling apart after 2 years (soon to be replaced with a MacBook Air), my cousin's boyfriend's decked out X1 Carbon came with only have a functional keyboard, and my best friend's Lenovo U410 Ultrabook has an unevenly planted trackpad, the monitor bezel is cracking, the laptop clicks whenever he opens it, and the webcam never worked. Let's also not forget Lenovo's embarrassing shipping times and disgraceful return policy.

What's ironic is that a year ago I would be the first to recommend Lenovo products. Now the only thing I have to say is stay away.
  9. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    please. you are employed by gateway. you cant sell me on your marketing tricks.
    Aquinus says thanks.
  10. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Every gateway laptop I've used has been fairly solid but I don't feel that it feels more sturdy than an aluminum unibody Apple laptop. Okay support and half-decently priced laptops. I won't complain, I would more likely be more likely to get a Gateway laptop than a Mac unless I had money pouring out of my nose, in that case a 15" with Retina Display would be in my future. :p

...and I'm not saying that because I would be wanting to blow money if I had it, but the 15" with Retina is a very nice laptop. I know someone who recently acquired one to replace his damaged (and AppleCare void due to wine spillage, the keys work just a couple are a little sticky on the inside) 13" MBP, which he sold on Ebay to recoup some of the cost for the 15". He got the 768GB SSD, the fastest i7 they got, 16Gb of ram and it all only costed $4000.00 USD. :confused::eek::eek::eek::eek:

It is a gorgeous laptop though. I would be the first to admit that.
  11. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    You make some good points here and there and then you shoot yourself in the head.
  12. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Why aren't you a Moderator?
  13. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    You caught me currently I am the only gateway employee deployed here also working on airplanes :laugh:
  14. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Not sure what kind of Lenovo you have over in the Stateside, the Lenovos I come across are pretty decent. I study in a university, I have seen (and talk to their owners) at least a few hundred laptops of all makes and based on what I see I think Lenovo makes good laptops as long as you stay away from their budget range. In fact as long as you are careful not to avoid lemmings most non-budget laptops are pretty decently constructed.
  15. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    Have you actually used it, and are saying this from experience, or are you just talking out of your ass again?
  16. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    it was a joke :laugh:

it was in response to people saying i worked for apple because i like their products and don't think they are gimmicks.

i knew it :roll: