1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Applications can't use Internet, only IE can

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Ben Clarke, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, I'm having a problem... it started last night... to cut a long story short, only IE can access the Internet. I've tried with Steam and F@H, they can't connect. When I try to connect to a F@H server in IE though, I get text saying OK, meaning the server isn't down. Any ideas what could be causing this? There's been no hardware or software changes.

2. MiST91 Guest

can't say i'v ever experienced that, so i don't really know what the problem could be, have you checked your firewall settings?

3. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    Firewall settings are set to allow them already....

4. MiST91 Guest

very strange :confused:, do you have wired or wireless network or USB modem?

5. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    Wireless network, I'm in the DMZ on my router, so the router isn't blocking it...

6. MiST91 Guest

:wtf: :confused:, i havn't a clue then :confused:, maybe try a spyware and virus scan for any malicious apps that may have planted themselves somwear on your pc that limit you to using IE only, but that seems a little farfetched, i don't know what the problem is, but i bet its somthing really simple

7. zatblast

zatblast New Member

Thanks Received:
    milky way-sol system-3rd planet-northern hemispher
    just so anyone that might know how to fix it knows... does a messenger of any kind work? aim/msn/yahoo w/e...

and for a short test turn off any firewall you might have for a minute and see if that helps ((i mean on the computer))

8. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    It's fixed - it was the router, go a new one.