1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apricorn Intros NetDock Docking Station for Ultrabook PCs

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, May 1, 2012.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Connectivity and optical drives are some of the first casualties of Intel's notebook slimming operation to come up with the Ultrabook specification. As a result, a new market is created for external connectivity solutions such as docking stations, which give users additional connectivity when at their desk, while maintaining the added mobility of Ultrabook, when on the move. Japan's Apricorn introduced one such product. Called the NetDock, the device holds a slimline DVD writer drive (included), provision for a 2.5-inch SATA HDD/SSD, and a 4-port USB 2.0 hub.

The NetDock draws power from an AC adapter, and connects to your Ultrabook over a USB 2.0 connection. Its DVD writer is capable of writing discs at speeds of up to 8X. One of the four downstream USB 2.0 ports is a high-current port for charging other portable devices (such as smartphones, media players, tablets, cameras, etc.). Both drives (the DVD writer, and the added 2.5-inch HDD/SSD) are visible to the host as USB mass storage devices. The NetDock measures 158.8 x 146.1 x 54.0 mm (WxDxH), and supports Windows 7/Vista/XP, and Mac OS X. It will be priced at 7,980 JPY (US $99.99).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Source: Hermitage Akihabara

2. NC37

NC37

Thanks Received:
    I get it now. Why they are pushing this Ultrabook craze onto consumers...

They want to sell docking stations. There I said it...I've revealed their master plan!

3. miks New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I think the idea is to make the battery last longer by removing the things we dont use while on the move and reduce weight.

:)

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  4. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    A few weeks ago Aldi sold an USB DVD burner that could hold a 2.5" SATA drive and had a USB hub as well. €25, I wanted to buy one but they sold out really fast. Apart from the shape of the plastic around it it's the same device, $99 is too much.

5. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
  6. OneCool

OneCool

Thanks Received:
    USB 2.0? :wtf:

7. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Still waiting for my Thunderbolt enabled external graphics card for Ultrabooks, Sony Vaio Z style.