1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

APU Temps - What is normal?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by dom99, Feb 12, 2014.

1. dom99

Thanks Received:
    I have one in my Silverstone SG10B case for my Intel Build
    GreiverBlade says thanks.
  2. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Ah I have an SG08 :) But I put the fan in my Aerocool main rig.
  3. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    my SG09B has a AP181 as main intake fan i second that :D also have 2 AP121 but only 1 in intake for gpu the 2nd one is for exhaust, and i know a AP in exhaust is pointless but i dislike unmatched pair :roll:

i just wish they did 80/90mm version (afaik they didn't or none that i know of) so i could get rid of the 2 80mm 2k rpm Be Quiet Shadow wings i have, not that they are bad or whatever but i like "all of the same brand" ofc i could find some SST 80/90mm but i had those BQ under the hand at the moment i did my build.

now you make me want to get 2 of those ...
    http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?scase=&pid=136&area=en
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    RCoon says thanks.
  4. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    I'm the same, can't stand having a case filled with unmatched fans!
  5. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    derp... the FM83 is available nowhere in switzerland :cry:
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  6. Pill Monster

Thanks Received:
    Max operating temp for the A10-7850k is 73c. I forgot to mention it earlier, sorry.
  7. xorbe

Thanks Received:
    My AsRock mini-itx + 5500 + stock hsf would idle at something insane in the BIOS (65C?). It seems to be a common complaint about AsRock and apu boards. Also the WattMeter showed like 100W at the wall. When in Windows it actually idles down to 25W or so. When I pried the stock hsf off, the grey goo pad had half dried. Installed a better hsf and paste, which knocked down the temp while burning in the BIOS. I think you are alright at 49-50C in the bios.
  8. dom99

Thanks Received:
    Just an update, after installng all windows updates and latest version of Asrock A-tuning it now shows my 7850k idles at 23 degrees and the same for my motherboard. Those numbers sound much more agreeable.

I think I'm happy with the build now, no BSODs and good temps, amazing what up to date drivers/OS/MB Bios will do

EDIT: Max temp seen in gaming so far is 37 degrees, but that's on hitman absolution, I will test it with BF4 tomorrow
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  9. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    well my 1st thing when i got the board and the cpu was to pass the bios on Rev.2.0 since out of the box the FM2A88M Ex4+ doesn't handle the 7850K (even if i will use it with the X4 760K for a while) idling i am also around 23-26°
  10. dom99

Thanks Received:
    The bios version I am using is Rev 2.1 now.

I read somewhere that the original bios shouldnt have an issue using the 7850k up untill the point where it is possible to install the new bios put I had such hassle with it.
  11. XlmartinilX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you solved the problem yet?

I got mine on 25 *C idle with the 212 Hyper evo (4.3ghz).
    The stockcooler is trash... =p
  12. fusionblu

fusionblu

Thanks Received:
    Figured I should add some information that not everyone is aware of in regards to thermals for these systems. Sometimes temps can be higher than normal because plastic film applied to heatsink when the heatsink was produce was not removed when the APU ITX PC was built.

This has been seen in some Zotac APU ITX PCs where after removing the film temperatures were significantly lower afterwards and this is likely to be seen in similar machines from other manufacturers.

Altering a part of the machine which involves the heatsink can void the warranty and if a plastic film can be seen on the CPU cooler it would be advised to have an approved service provider for the appropriate manufacturer of the product to sort this out so warranty isn't voided. Having the product checked for thermal issues can also resolve this issue if the film on the heatsink isn't seen.

Of course if the system isn't pre-built, is custom built (by owner through purchase of individual parts) or is a pre-built system which is going to be modified this wouldn't really matter.

As is already know many third-party options with alternative heatsinks and thermal paste is often better than the standard thermal setup in standard pre-built APU ITX PCs.
  13. dom99

Thanks Received:
    Hi yeh got it sorted, reapplied thermal paste a few times and found it was due to using too much, which is odd as I usually get the quantity correct. I think with the particular cooler I am using it just performs better with the tiniest amount of paste, people say a grain of rice or a pea sized blob, I think you need more like a quarter of a pea if that for optimum temps.

Now idling at 28 degrees and 52 max when gaming.

Only thing I wish it did better was overclock the igp, can't even go one step up in the bios to 757mhz or something it just crashes during gaming.

Overal very impressed with this setup though and looking forward to Carizzo which should have new high speed memory to make gaming on it even better