1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Arctic Accelero S1 PLUS

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Octopuss, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
  2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i've got the S1 rev 2, and love it. not sure what this changes except that frame around it.
  4. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    That's a monster right there! The review didn't look too promising though. I think I will try AC anyway, cause it's pretty problemless, and I don't need bigger cooler since I am not overclocking (much). In the end, it's not the GPU itself that requires additional care, it's the damn VRMs and other power-related things on the card. I like this refreshed Accelero because it looks more robust. Think I also read something about the heatpipes being better or something - can't remember offhand.
  5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    The reason i like the MK-13 more is due to all the fan configurations you can have.. And the one i use which is not on their site ( unless i did miss it ) is to have 2 fans blowing at the cooler while you can have 2 at the top of the card sucking the hot air away from the card which is use full if the side of your case allows the hot air to leave.

If i got that cooler you want i would get better VRM heatsinks for it however with those gaps between the fins do help i bet to cool the vrms.

I love to have one just to try as a the MUSASHI was a sweet as cooler and this one always reminds me of it with its thin fins and being open to more airflow.

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/vga/002/scvms1000_detail.html
    Mussels says thanks.
  6. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Oh I hope I can do the same as I did with 4870 back then - keep the red base of stock cooler on the card and mount Accelero on top of that. Those small heatsinks on individual chips don't cut it at all and the damn card was always running even more hot that way (like I said, cooling the GPU is not a problem in the slightest).
  7. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    The newer ati cards ( at least with the 69xx ) no you cannot use the stock plate in fact all it takes is to wait a little while after release these days and the manufacture will put better coolers on them. Just try get a reference card with their own cooler on it.

On my old card ( 4890 ) i had a 3rd party ram heatsink that screwed on along with a Thermalright VRM R1 cooler and worked pretty well. But the newer vregs i think are easier to keep cool as they run cooler.
  8. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    I am not sure I understand. Why could I not use the stock cooler's plate and mount the Accelero over that?
  9. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
  10. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Oh I am not worried about warranty, it's already gone ;)
  11. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Nothing to do with warranty. I would of tried it my self if i thought it would not course any damage to the cooler.

I did not think of it at the time but maybe heating the copper part up enough would loosen the copper part from the other part so there be minimal chance of bending the cooler.

Not sure if you can use a stove to heat it up because of the contents inside the copper part.
  12. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Maybe I still don't understand. Are you saying the red stock cooler's plate goes in the way of the Accelero?
  13. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    The copper part is has sticky stuff on it to keep it stuck to the black part on the 69xx range.. not sure if it's the same deal with the 68xx range maybe some one here can confirm how that is.

Anyways what video card do you have ?.
  14. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Well, I currently have 5850. But unsure whether to upgrade to 6970 or not. Still hoping 7xxx line will hit us by february or something.
  15. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well the 5850 looks like it's not glued to the plate, you see how the screw holes are on the copper part and not the black plate which makes me think the copper part is not glued to the black plate
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_5850/4.html

If i was you i would wait till the 7 series even if it was October time they came out.
  16. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Well, the bullshit cooler is making so much noise I don't want to wait anymore :p It's just that I was thinking whether I'd have a chance of mounting it on something newer :)
  17. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    So I finally bought it and installed it. It is awesome, compared to S1 rev2. It's MUCH more stable and doesn't need any stupid plastic legs to stick in place. The frame might look pointless on first sight but adds to the overall sturdiness.
    Performance-wise it's similar I'd say. I don't even have any fan mounted on it and it still works while gaming - although I gotta admit Lord of the rings online is no Skyrim :) But it works. The back side of the card where the bloody regulator or whatever they are chips is too hot to touch, but GPU-Z reports temperatures in the 70°C range, which is totally acceptable. I will mount some sort of fan on low RPM on it anyway, of course.
    So far well invested money.
    P.S. I kept the metal plate of the stock cooler. I don't believe in the little fail heatsinks bundled with the Accelero.
    AsRock says thanks.
  18. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it's a common thing thats don't with AC coolers crappy little heatsinks..
  19. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    lol 7950/70 announced for beginning of january week after I bough the damn cooler :p
    guess I will wait couple months then :D