1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Arctic cooler

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by cookiemonster, Dec 15, 2012.

1. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    Hi I am just about ready to install the arctic cooler extreme plus 11 on my AMD 6970, I will be using the motherboads graphics while i do this, is there any problems that you think i might come up against or any advice that might help.

mobo is :- Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI Dual Thunderbolt 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

Graphics card is :- XFX HD 6970 ATI - AMD Radeon Graphics Card - 2GB

2. XL-R8R

XL-R8R

Thanks Received:
    I see no problem with it.... but for the amount of time it will take to install the cooler, whats the point in using onboard?

5 - 15 minute job really... I'm sure you can manage. ;)

3. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    Hi XL-R8R, It's not the actual cooler that takes the time it's sticking all the other heatsinks on to the ram.

4. XL-R8R

XL-R8R

Thanks Received:
    That wont take too long of a time, matey. :)

You'll be surprised by how quick you can get it done and have it back in your rig... 15 minutes max! :toast:

cookiemonster says thanks.
  5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Make sure you remove all the old grease\paste and coffee filters do a great job with some isopropyl. And make sure you do not over tighten the screws.

Hope every thing goes well.. Remember always tighten evenly

6. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Heres my advice when attaching the ram chips

clean the surface of the ram with rubbing alcohol (Isopropanol) to get all the thermal crap off from the previous cooler. then get a rubber and rub it on the memory chips as this forms a layer that the adhesive on the RAM heatsinks can grip onto otherwise they just either wont stick properly or will just fall off over a short period of time.

There are some members here that have mixed thermal paste with superglue to stick ram sinks on but Obviously its a more 'permanent' way to attach ramsinks on.

7. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    Hi that's it done never thought on using superglue, just got to wait for the thermal
    Stuff to stick, is there any way to speed it up. I tried plugging the monitor into the mobo to use the onboard graphics but the tower kept shutting down, any ideas.

8. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    Hi I have just installed it and so far it is running a lot cooler and quieter, I haven't tested it with prime 95 yet i will do that tomorow but i am going to have a go at Skyrim that usually got the stock cooler rattling. thanks for all the help and advice.

9. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Prime 95 doesnt work with GPU's, use something like furmark or MSI Kombustor (Kombustor is literally furmark) its good for testing how well coolers cope with heat but its not so great for testing OC's as its openGL (correct me if im wrong here) for testing an OC its better to load up a game and play it for a while.

10. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    Yes sorry I meant Furmark I got it wrong I used Prime 95. when i over clocked my processor, I had no problem s in Sky rim so that's a he sign.

11. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    If you really want a good stability test for the CPU OC, use OCCT with it's built-in Linpack bench.

12. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    Results, a lot better and quieter than before

Attached Files:

13. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    IMO... being an owner of 2 XFX 6970's i wouldnt call those results 'a lot better' but its a definitely a small improvement compared to the stock cooler

my 6970's hit at least 80-90'c during a serious round of BF3 but at least with the stockcoolers, it dumps the hot air outside my case which in turn saves me money on my heating bills.
    The downside of this though is that the card runs hot and the fans on the stock cooler are often quite noisey.

In theory, What you have done is sacrificed the stock cooler for lower noise & slightly lower temperatures but made the situation worse in the way that now the heat that the 6970 produces is down dumped inside the case which will definitely effect the temperatures of other components like the CPU, RAM, any add-in expansion cards & chipset.

Make sure you have adequate airflow inside your case.

14. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    Hi I hate to differ but these are the temps i was getting before and as you can see the case temps are ok even with the cpu overclocked to 4.5

Attached Files:

15. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    How is your airflow inside that case? are all available fan mounts unavailable??

I used to run a smaller mid-tower Antec 902 case with my current set up and GPU temps got quite hot without a fan on the side panel. I was getting about 50-60'c Idle and got knows what for load temps, probably the same as you 90-100'c

the case Im currently running is just great. plenty of airflow and GPU temps idle at 30-35'c and load at 80-90'c depending on the game

16. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    ...what exactly do you mean?

17. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    use one of these....

[​IMG]

on some of these...

[​IMG]

It doesnt actually effect the thermal transfer at all. all it does is it creates a layer which the adhesive on the thermal tape which is located on the back of the ramsinks something to 'grip' onto and bond with so they dont fall off so easily.

there are forums full of people complaining about how ramsinks dont stick to the ram or the adhesive/thermal tape used is of bad quality when really they are just not putting them on correctly.

18. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    Bad idea. All that rubbing can possibly make the chip fall off.

Cookie, use Rubbing Alcohol with a q-tip to remove any residue better and provide a solid adhesion of the thermal tape.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  19. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    Hi I was lucky nearly all of the thermal pads from that were on the ram waited on the stock cooler and for what was left i used stuff i bought from overclockers a while ago when i thought of doing my old 4870x2, it is Thermal Material Remover and Thermal Surface Purifier and it worked great. as for the cooling i have 1x140 and 1x120 fans blowing out of the top of the case 1x140 at the front sucking air in, 1x120 on the side panel sucking in and 1x140 blowing out the back also an antec blower fitted on the back below the graphics card blowing out.

20. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    not really, the tip itself has been around for ages. I know people who have been doing the same thing since the days when AMD was ATi and 9700/9800's ruled the roost,

I have carried out the same procedure on my 9600, X1800XT, 8800GTS, 4870's & 5850's as well as most of my friends's graphic cards and they are all still in perfect working condition.

the idea is to not use too much force. you dont need to jerk it about like youre trying to wrench an arm off a robot or wrestle a bear with your bare hands.

Ive done this for many years, it was advice that was given to me way over a decade ago and I keep doing it because it works.

Obviously if you dont know the difference between a light or heavy touch then this method isnt for you as you will damage the graphics card.

natr0n says thanks.
  21. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    That's funny. When you say "a rubber", where I'm from in the States at least, 9/10 people are going to think you mean a condom. If you say rubber, follow it immediately with "eraser". Otherwise, just say eraser. If you come to the States and say to somebody, "Hey, do you have a rubber?" He's either going to tell you flat out "No" or hand you a condom.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

22. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Why don't you just become a little more wise to the fact that the US isn't the end all be all. Either that or find some friends across the borders and become more accustomed to a worldly view of things;) Also I do believe that you are supposed to keep on topic here and not make fun of other members when doing so.

AsRock says thanks.
  23. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Can be a bad thing to use they can leave strands behind.. Much better of using coffee filters as they are made to not to lose fibers.

So you're starving the video card for air by forcing air out the bottom of the case ?. Would it not be better to use it to bring air directly in to the fans of the cooler ?.

I used to use a rubber but found it just as good to apply them preheated ( like with a air dryer ) you could use it on the video card but you have to be real careful just like your on about applying to much pressure with the rubber..

Common sense.. Any other way would get me a infraction HA.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  24. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    Common sense what? You're reply has no substance. I'll actually ask you let me know in a PM, as I don't want this guy's thread overcluttered with what I thought would end in a simple "ha" between the two of us.

25. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    No fans blowing out the bottom of the case the antec blows out the back just like a graphics card