1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer 5 Rev. 2

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by W1zzard, Jul 22, 2005.

1. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, most likely :(
  2. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    lol no, I'm not afraid of AC, If I were to replace my stock cooler (which I've done before) the ATIsilencer 5 is what I'd use.
  3. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    yeah, you have to remember also that Arctic Cooling designs their coolers to go with their thermal compound...so maybe thats why AS5 doesnt work as well as the stock gooze.
  4. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    I got my X850XT yesterday!!! :D :D :D 5200 3Dmark05!!! :rockout: .
    ahem...
    anyways. I noticed the "voltage spikes" that Arctic Cooling warned about when the fan control is applied (especially with ATItool lol). In my opinion, as long as you dont hack your cards fan speeds (as tempting as it is), the ATIsilencer 5 is a very fine cooler...I REALLY want it, I dont have the money and my things a freaking jet engine at full power.
  5. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great! :)

You've got a nasty bottleneck somewhere though, my x800xl used to exceed 6k, with a little fine tuning.

... *sniffle* I miss my x800xl :cry:

I wouldn't worry too much about voltage spikes or running the card at 100%, I don't think the voltage can exceed 12v anyway, i could be wrong, if capacitors and transistors are involved on the fan power supply circuits. Anyway, I just run mine at 100% 24/7. I find my particular one is quieter at 100% than at %50 or below.
  6. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The problem with comparing 3DMark scores is they are not standard. He may have ran it at 1152 x 864 with some AA and AF and that would give you a totally different score than if you ran it 1024 x 768 with no AA or AF. If he did run it at 1024 x 768 no AA no AF then, there might be something wrong.
  7. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    my bottleneck is probably my RAM lol...do NOT try to put two brands in a dual channel configuration, especially ones with different timings...my current stable RAM timings is 2.5-4-4-8 2T....I can push it to 1T, but it reboots every time I try to print something :roll: . I think I'll get some RAM heatspreaders and see if I can push it to 2.5-3-3-6 1T
  8. OOTay

OOTay New Member

Thanks Received:
    man, my 3dmark scores are low right now becuase i got some generic brand ram in here and worthless intel chipset... oh well ill get new amd chipset later this year hopefully!
  9. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    lol pushed RAM to 2.5-3-3-8, and brought my 3Dmark05 score to over 6K...yeah, its definitely a RAM bottleneck :p
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  10. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    one more thing...3Dmark05 scored at 1024x768, no AA full AF, in other words, free version 3Dmark05 :p
  11. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    yep, that's what most people have, so they're the settings we normally use to compare, though sometimes turning the AA and AF up can help differentiate between two high end cards. I have the full version, and i love the fact that you can skip all the pointless tests to get your score :D
  12. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Or you could just go here :p. This is the stuff that originally came with ATISilencer5, until they started pre-applying :(. I really wish they wouldn't do that, it's always nice to get a free tube of thermal paste :D.
  13. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmm, that must have been an old post :p

I got mine from an ebay store, selling a whole bunch of spare parts for all their coolers. I'll see if i can find a link later.

meh, got a great collection of thermal grease now...

AS5,
    MX-1,
    Ceramique,
    OCZ +5
    Arctic Silver Epoxy
    Arcticlean (TIM)

hehe, and some sheets of 600 - 1200 grit sandpaper :D
  14. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Just thought I'd let you know, my ATISilencer5 reaches 604.13/604.13 STABLE (unless of course you happen to be running ATItool artifact test, but...whatever :p). I won't be running it at those clocks, of course, I just wanted to see how high I could push it. ATISilencer5 FTW!. I can get it to 557.75/557.75 while still passing the ATItool artifact test (Edit: I run it for a few minutes, I don't really pay attention), and I leave it at 520/540 to preserve the life of my awesome card. I'll probably overclock if I really see the need though (AKA Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion).
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
  15. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    How long do you scan it for?
  16. ghost101

ghost101 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Two questions, ive installed it with thermal paste on top of the thermal pad for the GPU (Dam the stupid instructions).

Anyway, after about 3 days i tried to get the cooler off, its stuck to the card and is impossible to get off. Any advice.

Also if i do remove it, the memory thermal pads will be fine right? I say this because im pretty sure without the pads there will be no contact with using just AS5.
  17. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Well lets see, I'm not sure why you'd want to take off ATISilencer5, you've barely let it burn in yet. But if you were, you'd either be wanting to A) pull it off right after a round of Oblivion or some other GPU-intensive game B) stick it in the freezer C) Put some more elbow grease into it. After removing it, you will have to reapply thermal paste to EVERYTHING, and AS5 will actually make things worse. All heatsinks from Arctic Cooling are specially designed with the thermal compound that comes with them (MX1.). If you use anything else, even AS5, you will lose performance (a good 3-5*C of performance.). Also, remembering how I killed my 6200 (tried securing heatsinks with thermal paste instead of the thermal pads that came with them.), I suggest you stick with the stock stuff.
  18. ghost101

ghost101 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So the fact that for the GPU I have the stock thermal pad as well as a film of AS5 isnt worth the effort of removing and reapplying everything?

If so, curse the instructions again. It clearly says apply some thermal paste.
  19. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    I don't remember the instructions saying anything about putting extra thermal compound on MY ATISilencer5, it just came with everything pre-applied. I hope you didn't put any extra thermal paste on, mixing things will cook your card :laugh:. If you did, then definitely try to take your silencer off after a GPU-intensive game and reapply with ONLY AS5 or ONLY MX1.
  20. mikelopez New Member

Thanks Received:
    The problem is that the instructions have not been updated with the addition of the pre-applied pads. It refers to when they included the thermal paste for us to apply ourselves.

I just installed my Silencer and the idle temps have dropped about 3-4c but I have been searching the forum for a good recomendation on how to set the dynamic temps/speeds. I dont want to run into any "clicking" problems.
  21. jameskelsey

jameskelsey New Member

Thanks Received:
    I installed one on a ATI X850 Pro about a week ago. I cleaned off the thermal paste and applied AS5. My idle temps dropped 10c and my load temps dropped 17c. Never changed anything with the fan control. Works great!
  22. kcm8819 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, I was wondering if y'all could help me out.
    I bought my ATI Radeon X800XL almost 2 years ago and the fan began making a bad sound but after a restart it would go away. Well, yesterday even a restart wouldn't get the fan working properly again. I tried cleaning it out, thinking there may be junk in there but it's spotless and still making the noise. I think the fan is about to go out so I was trying to find an easy solution to this problem.
    First off, i was wondering what y'all thought about the Silence 5 rev.2
    Secondly, I am curious of how I would go about taknig the current fan off.
    Is it just a simple swap or what
    Also, I was also looking at a Zalman and wondered which you thought was best for my situation
  23. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I loved my Silencer that I used on my x800 and would totally recommend it. The instructions tell you how to replace the old with the new. I would aslo recommend that you use Arctic silver 5 thermal compound instead of the stuff that comes with the cooler.
  24. jameskelsey

jameskelsey New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had the Silencer on my X850 Pro and it droped my load temps around 18c plus it exhausts out of the case,great cooler.The only thing I didn't like was if you have to remove it you have to carefully cut the thermal pads on the memory to get it off.But I found new pads on ebay for it. Also recommend Artic silver 5.
  25. kcm8819 New Member

Thanks Received:
    so do you think 1 tube of artic silver 5 would be a sufficient amount to use while installing the Silencer 5? And thanks for the help, I think I'm going to try to find one and order it tonight