1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ARCTIC MX-4 application help

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by fullinfusion, May 12, 2011.

1. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Im trying out some MX-4 thermal paste on a X6 cpu. I have only used AS5 and IC Diamond paste.... so this is going to be new to me now. All you ppl in TPU land always brag on how good MX paste is..

Well im kinda excited to try this stuff but my question is, how mush do I applie and in what pattern?

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Blob in the middle or a nice even layer on the IHS, it depends on my mood. Performance of either method is the same. It spreads very well and it's almost foolproof no matter which method you use as long as you use enough.

3. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    So you're saying, I can use the size of a grain of rice or a BB sized amount in the center of the cpu?

4. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I use the grain of rice method and let the heatsink/waterblock do the spreading.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. txsouthpaw

txsouthpaw New Member

Thanks Received:
    With a thinner TIM, I will spread a very thin layer using a purpose-made mini-spatula or a section of a grocery store rewards card. For thicker TIM like ICD, I will apply a liberal BB sized amount to the center of the CPU/GPU and allow the compression to do the work. In my opinion, if you want the best TIM, it's Indigo Xtreme for CPUs and ICD for GPUs.