1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Arctic Silver ArctiClean

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by W1zzard, Apr 18, 2005.

1. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: May 12, 2005
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Good review w1zz, i was going to do one myself on this stuff.

as you tried near the end, the trick is to do 2 tries with solution 1, then another with solution 2... some of yours werent as clean as i've got out of my kit here.

oh and kiddies, use a lint free cloth to wipe it up. tissues and toilet paper work fine, but if they're too rough they scratch the CPU/GPU/Mobo Chipset/Heatisnk
  3. Unregistered Guest

This product is a stupid waste of money. This is my first time at this site and this review alone will ensure that I never come back.
  4. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:

mmm.. then you obviously haven't had to deal with a bunch of dumb thermal pads... :rolleyes:

Come back when you have a real opinion and xsomething to backup your accusations, please.

Btw, w1z, try using "goof off" it may not be available in europe.. it works fantasticly.. its basicly paint thinner tho.. lol (acetone like) :)
  5. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Goof off is the best remover of gunk. I had a radeon 9200SE where the heatsink was factory glued to the chip, and I almost tore the chip off the card trying to get the heatsink off. Dabbed a sheet of paper in some goof off and slid it between the heatsink and chip. It was like slicing butter.
  6. bikr692002

bikr692002 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great review w1zz I think I'm going to get some for my new build
  7. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Good review... Lots of examples. Why in the world did you taste it? LOLOL
  8. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Yar, goof off. Then a final cleaning with Xylene.

Or I get some electrical cleaner at work that leaves no reidue, but smells terrible and is highly explosive.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  9. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    What a total loser! IMHO this forum is the best tech forum on the net and the reviews are outstanding.
  10. MZ3692 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Unregistered, you are a total fool. As for techpowerup... :respect: :respect: :respect:
  11. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    if you have doubts about arcticlean, go buy a package, try it, and if it cant get off your thermal pads/paste (proof please), i'll paypal you the price.
    scaminatrix says thanks.
  12. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    :nutkick: :nutkick: :nutkick: :slap: :slap:
    this JERK prob never had to spend mega time lapping sinks back to mirror finish after some fool scraped off pad with a knife..the fact is it's user friendlly and work for $6 bucks and don't damage the PCB makes it worth the $$:) :)
  13. Snakey New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I was doing some research about this ArtiClean.
    I just bought the kit and I used to clean my Heatsink and CPU. The Heatsink was rather easy, looks very clean!

To clean the CPU, I removed it off the socket, put a few drops and waited. The whole liquid thing started going around the sides (I have a Intel 775 processor, e.g. X6800). Eventually it actually went around and to the bottom of the processor. Not to the actual little chips under, but to the "golden" connectors all around those little chips. I eventually dried it up, final touched it with the 2nd bottle and it looks pretty good. I just have very little residue of paste on the little vains around where you're supposed to put all the paste but I don't think that will affect any contact with my new heatsink.

The big question is if the material on those 2 bottles would affect in any way the connectors (golden ones..) under the processor. I haven't put it on my new motherboard yet because I wanted to make sure it's completely dried out, but is the processor OK still even after a little bit of the solution got to it?

The reason I ask before even trying is because I'm installing the CoolIT Freezone and I don't want to be removing the heatsink again once it's in its place... So just wondering if that affects the processor in any way..
  14. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I had the same thing happen to me. I put the first compound directly on the area of the spill-over on the under side of the processor, let it sit for a second, then blew it off with pressurized air. All the leftover thermal grease residue came out. I then used the second solution to make sure the residue from the first solution was gone, blew it off again, let it dry, and Presto! Good as new.

@W1z - Great review. I use this stuff religiously.
  15. Snakey New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds awesome! I figured the solution wouldn't damage or the processor or not many people would talk about it. I like the idea of pressurized air. I'm gonna give the processor another run with both solutions to make sure I can get the grease off the sides of the processor.

Thanks!
  16. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Use brake-cleaner. $1.99 for a 19oz bottle. "articlean" :shadedshu
  17. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Brake cleaner is far more dangerous to use than ArtiClean. Brake cleaner will happily eat anything in your computer that contains plastic.
  18. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Dont use chlorinated brake-cleaner. :rolleyes:

Try putting some articlean on plastic and lets see what happens. I've literally hosed down cpus and motherboards with brake-cleaner (or electronic parts cleaner works also) with no ill effects.
  19. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    OK, fair enough on the non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

As far as ArtiClean getting on plastic, it doesn't do damage, so long as you clean it off fairly quickly. I have spilled it on plastic(clear plastic tablecloth), and it sat for about a min while I went to get a paper towel. Absolutely no damage. Although I'm sure letting it sit would've done something eventually.

There's also another advantage Articlean has over brake/electronic cleaners, the fumes. One whiff of brake or electronic cleaner and I have an instant asthma attack. Not so with the articlean.
  20. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Make sure you wash your hands if you acceditly get the cleaner on your hand...that stuff is slightly corrosive.
  21. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    .... :cry:
  22. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    what information is this based on? i was told it is perfectly safe, i even tasted it ^^
  23. ARTOSOFT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is it vanilla or chocolate taste :roll: ?

Regards,
    Arto.
  24. airspoon New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know this is a really old review/thread -but I just wanted to know if there was something better in our more modern times? I picked up this kit a few months ago and while it worked, it worked just about as good as strong rubbing Alcohol. Also, unlike with Alcohol, I'm afraid that this stuff will drip down the side of whatever CPU or chip I'm trying to clean and either corrode the pins/solder, or short the electronics. Is there any reason that this stuff is better than alcohol or at least not a danger to cleaning chips?
  25. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    nice, i usually using cajuput oil to remove it :D
    now i have another alternative :toast: