1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

are '80 plus certified' PSUs worth it?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Easy Rhino, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    let me explain. by the end of the summer i hope to have built a very inexpensive bsd server for less than $350. i have just about all the parts picked out and am still sort of on the fence over a psu. i am considering one of the lower powered (350 watt) PSUs that are 80 plus certified. the server will be running a low power 45 watt cpu, on board gpu and only 1 HDD. so i won't need anything much stronger than 300 watts. antec makes a nice 380 watt psu that is 80 plus certified for 50 bucks. does this seem worth it?
  2. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd give a yes vote on that. 80+ PSU's will save you a bit of cash on your energy bill. Especially considering it's a server and will likely be running non-stop. If it were just a light-use internet/word box, it wouldn't be.
    Easy Rhino says thanks.
  3. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    For something that is gonna be running darn near 24/7 (I assume), the most efficient psu in your price range is probably a good purchase. Especially since the electric rates are supposed to be raised again, at least in my neck of the woods, and by a significant margin, too.
    Easy Rhino says thanks.
  4. P4-630

P4-630

Thanks Received:
  5. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    that is exactly what i am thinking. i don't want the server to raise my bill by to much. i just didnt know if being '80 plus certified' was a marketing gimmick. (sort of like 'sli certified.') anyway, thanks i think im just about finished and will pick up the antec earthwatts 380