1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

are all vista 64 bit disk the same?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Nick259, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    Right now i'm on 32 bit vista ultimate and i would like to try 64 bit. I've got a legit vista ultimate key but i've only got the 32 bit disk. From browsing the internet i have heard that all vista 64bit disks are the same ie. i could use a vista home premium disk and install ultimate. My friend has a 64bit home premium disk and i'm just wondering if i could install ultimate from it and save myself the hasle of finding a legal/clean torrent.

2. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Yes every Visa and in fact Windows 7 disc contains all versions of the OS, the only thing that differentiates a disc is the architecture (32 or 64 bit) and the service pack

Assuming an untouched (i.e vlited) disc of course.

3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    not entirely true from my experience. there ARE all in one disks available, but most disks are not all in one.

You need a disk with ultimate on it - whether its an all in one, or ultimate only doesnt matter. Your key works on 64 and 32, but ONLY on ulimate. (if you get a home premium disk and insert your ultimate key, it wont work - i've tried before)

Edit: i only tried with SP0. i have not tried with retail disks since then. SP1 and up may be different. You can usually tell if a disk does it or not, by not inserting a key and then it will ask what version you have... if it doesnt ask, your disk is not AIO (all in one).

4. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    ok, i'll borrow the disk and find out, i'll let you know what happens.

5. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i do remember having a disk i downloaded which let me choose any version (home basic through ultimate) in x86 or x64, but it was a downloaded dual layer DVD.

I've never seen that on a retail copy.

6. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Every Vista disc that has not been vlited has all versions of Vista on, you can choose by simply not entering a key.

Doesnt matter if it upgrade, retail or oem, they key just dictates how the installer reacts.

7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    ok. i havent dealt with retail disks in a while (slipstreamed with SP1 for a long time) so you could well be right.

8. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    That's interesting. I was one of the early adopters that bought the full Vista Ultimate retail (with both 32 & 64-bit DVDs in the box) when it first came out (SP0).

When my friend bought Vista Premium SP1 OEM sometime later, my retail key worked fine on it. Does that mean that his disc qualifies as an all in one, perhaps? I live in the UK if that makes any difference.

9. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i'm not sure anymore. the disks i had access to seem different to you guys.

hell, maybe they just did it differently here in australia.