1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Are hardcore gamers snobby and elitist?

Discussion in 'Games' started by qubit, Sep 12, 2010.

?

Are hardcore gamers snobby and elitist?

1. YES

31 vote(s)
    28.2%
  2. NO

23 vote(s)
    20.9%
  3. Don't know

5 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. Don't care

51 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    Define snobbish, does it equate to more demanding? You can demand more from software and hardware without behaving like a snob. You can be crtitical of hardware and software without behaving like a snob. Does the segment of society defined as "hardcore gamers" present a high percentage of individuals with this trait? Who knows? However, snobs can be found in all social groups and in all social strata, even amongst groups of farmville players.
  2. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I am completely offended by this thread. How dare you even think there are anything but 133t PC gamers. The fact I even posted here on my uber 133t PC classes up the joint. I must shower now and build a new 8,000 dollar PC for this one is tainted by "commoner" gibberish.
  3. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    Hardcore gamers play ALL games!
  4. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I'm a part of a bunch of "hardcore" gamers, and were not snobbish at all, we get a new game very often and we play it to death, and inbetween we play the regulars like BC2 and TF2 a whole shitheap too.

The only few guys I know who are truely snobbish/dickheads are a bunch of clanners in Western Australia that pretty much win everytime they play. they go to big lans (like 350+ ppl) and team stack and just pay out on everyone else for being shit.

it's eliteist tossers like that that are ruining a lot of casual and even hardcore gamers gaming experience. they may be better at the game but they fail hardcore at life, good sportsmanship and karma.
    qubit says thanks.
  5. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    i don't believe all hardcore gamers are elitest jerks, i played close to 10000 hours of wow in 6 years, have 6 toons in the 2500 bracket in twos, and i never once acted in a demeaning manner to anybody, i was always more than happy to spot the nub 100g to get started or walk someone through the rotations for a raid, or help them gem up and enchant. There are plenty of people in some genres though that are worse than others, from the 100's of lans i've been to over the last 8 or so years, i've come to find two games that offer the most duchebagery(if that's a word), one is def counterstrike, it isn't played in lans anymore in my area simply because it brings with it a highly elitest group of players that only care about winning and the prizes, you can't learn shit from them and their gameplay appears to almost be cheating with the incredible number of config tricks that obviously took them hundreds of hours to perfect for each individual player. Then unfortunate as it is are starcraft players. Many of the truly good players are not respectful in any way or in my experience that's how it's been. I've lost countless matches to cheese and on top of the fact that there is no way i can beat them, they have to say something on top of it. I don't find this type of behaviour enmasse in any other games, yeah there are a few, but those two games seem to be full of it to me....
  6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you might not be elitist or a jerk, but god damn, 10K hours? GO OUTSIDE BEFORE THE LIGHT ESCAPES YOU FOREVER.

:)P)
    jasper1605 and wolf say thanks.
  7. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps he's just efficient with his time? ;)

I've already mowed 3 acres, tended to my garden, and cleaned the bathrooms today. Now if the servers are up, time for some free LORTO action.
  8. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I live in Florida too man and in this heat you are F#@ING NUTS.
  9. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    People who label themselves as hardcore anything have sexual frustration issues.
    digibucc and _JP_ say thanks.
  10. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    This time of year I'm only out 7:00 - 11:00, otherwise I might start to look like your avatar despite the sun shade my mower has. (have thought about attaching a water tank and mister system... ;))
  11. AltecV1

AltecV1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My HARDCORE Gaming Session
    [​IMG]
  12. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I know because by 2pm Satan walks across my yard begging for water.
    jasper1605 and Jizzler say thanks.
  13. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    What's wrong with a bit of snobbery and elitism? It keeps the riff-raff in their place.
  14. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I've just realised, there's only 8760 hours in a whole year, 24/7. That's a lotta playtime. :eek:
  15. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I have played Garry's Mod for 1200 hours, probably my most played game. That is over the course of 4-5 years. I generally know the right time to stop. I once played FEAR so long I was trying to push "x" in real life, the flashlight button. The worst though, is my right hand's resting position is that of around a computer mouse. No the hand is not flat, but curled around an invisible computer mouse. Anyway, you know you have been on the computer enough when you start trying to type on the invisible keyboard that is your spiral notebook in history class.

In all seriousness, I read a lot more than anyone knows. I read the NY Times each morning, and books throughout the day, so I do that a lot more than computer games, but when I do game, I tend to overdo it.

Being an elitist snob? I am. I have to say I really am sometimes. When someone talks about Halo or something, I instantly shoot their ass down. People talk about how Gears of War is an awesome game and they get a 10 minute lecture from me why the hell it isn't. Anyway, gaming makes you into a mean person, and as long as you realize it, you won't be mean or elitist. I just choose to be both. :D

In all seriousness, I am a really nice guy, but talking about Halo as "the game that invented FPS's" will get you a lecture.

EDIT: I don't label myself as hardcore, but others do. I tell them that they spend 3x the time I spend on games on their Farmville addiction.
  16. Bow

Bow

Thanks Received:
    I have a small beer fridge next to my rig, does that make me hard core?:rockout:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Wow then I must be hardcore:

[​IMG]

So let me go ahead and describe the picture...

Starting on the left desk area:

-40mm ammo can filled with Tea.
    -Ramen for extreme gaming through meals
    -Hot water maker. For the ramen and tea.
    -Wired Magazine - Read while games load
    -Spy Novel - Read when bored
    -Pack of Jolt Energy Gum - gotta have my caffeine.
    -Jim Beam BBQ Sunflower seeds (not seen, 4 boxes of 12 under desk)
    -Ti-83+ for calculation
    -Grado SR-60i's
    -Laptop
    -Mousepad and Gaming mouse

Above:

-More Spy novels / biographies
    -Lots of Jolt Energy gum, like 60+ packs of 12 pieces
    -Crystal Light
    -Chopsticks for sushi runs
    -Tactical bacon, for all my bacon needs

Not seen:

-Recycle bin of newspapers
    -2 x 64oz Nalgenes for super hydration
    -Fridge (stocked with only water, cause it's healthy!)

AM I HARDCORE GUISE?

In all seriousness this is my college dorm room, and it is very small.

EDIT: I exaggerate (a good amount) unless you are like 12 and an idiot.

Attached Files:

18. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't give a shit. Label me what you will, I'll be saving money with every computer I buy and maintain while you buy a prebuilt and never maintain it until it dies.
  19. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    im stuck between yes and don't give a shit:rolleyes:
  20. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    Dont care. All I wanted was a computer that could play Crysis :D
  21. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    Diablo 2 stole my life many times over 4- years.... oblivion had me wanting to quick save in awkward social situations - or whenever anything bad might happen (to give me a re-do :) )

I think it;s just an arbitrary label. anyone who would actually fit into that label of "hardcore" would want nothing to do with it.... and anyone who uses that to define themselves. is nothing but a stupid little child with more time than brains.... let them act retarded and "uber hardcore" ... i'll give em a few headshots and that'll be that ;)
  22. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    well said Mussels. That's insanity. I applaud you for this ExodusPrime. 416 days+ were you the inspiration for the south park episode on WoW? Were you the one that became even more powerful than the admins?
  23. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ha ha similar things have happened to me, a few times I've tried to reload and just realised :laugh: reality doesn't work that way.
    digibucc says thanks.
  24. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Depends on what type of gamer I suppose.

There are PC gamers out there who think they are better than the other due to higher and later system specs because they can play with all sliders to the right....totally unrelated to gaming but snobby behavior is noticeable and laughable :/

I sometimes come across gamers on line who snob certain players who are not very good at whatever game.....eh

But to be snobby/elitist because you because you have high level character.... wizard/mage/beserker...hobgoblin troll or whatever is in WoW is just a joke.
  25. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    yeah 10k hours is a lot of time - and when you put it into days 416 is right ... but he also said over 6+ years. assuming it was just six years (2190 days) , then 416 of them is about 18%.

what i mean is - I spend well over 18% of my time playing video games, just not the same ones for years on end... but if he found a game he enjoyed, I don't see how spending 18% of his time playing it for the rest of his life is a bad thing... (despite how much as I HATE WoW ;) )

he was pretty clear on what type of elitist/snobbery he was referring to. the type of people who look down on farmville and flash online games and those who play them.

yeah i think those games are stupid, and a complete waste of time. but only because I know first hand how easy it is to waste time playing them... that doesn't mean they are not games, or are not addicting - they are just low brow lowest common denominator.

I'm glad they exist to get others who would never touch a game to play them, I hate them for myself personally as the majority have no point and just steal my (limited) free time. but I in no way look down on those that play them...
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2010