1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

are my temps ok?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by stayplation3, Aug 12, 2009.

1. stayplation3

Thanks Received:
    i just put in a 9800gt sc and im stress testing it. testing the gpu with occt and the cpu with orthos. after 10mins the gpu got to a max of 71*C and the cpu got to 65*C. how is my cpu temp? i have an amd athlon 64 x2 5600+ windsor 2.8ghz. i know its hot but is it too hot? dont say get a better hs/fan cuz its not gona happen. i just need to know the max temp my cpu should get to before i should simply not use my pc until i get better cooling.

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Temps are fine. Yout temperatures won't get that high using appications or playing games anyways, so you're good.

3. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    not too hot, not abnormally hot. that's a normal running temp for an X2 on air. no problems. and erocker is right, that is higher than they will get on normal load.

4. stayplation3

Thanks Received:
    well it sorta freaked me out cuz the temp warning sound came on in my pc at 65 and im using a heatsink made for a 2.0ghz dual core

5. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    yeah, those are ridiculously low by default. An aftermarket cooler could get you to 40s or lower, depending on ambient temps. especially since your cooler is not rated for it. however, 65 is not too hot.

6. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    digibucc is right. I think the Max temp rating for your CPU is 75C, so you are within tolerance range. You may want to go ahead into your BIOS and set the temp alarm a little higher.

If you want to feel more comfortable, turn off AMD cool and quiet and use the mobo fan control system. Run your CPU fan at say no less than 65% and set to go to 100% at temp of 60C. Doing this should bring the temps down some, but you really want to get a better cooler.

digibucc says thanks.
  7. stayplation3

Thanks Received:
    ok ill try that. but idk how. can you give me step by step instructions?

also. im playin crysis warhead and it runs great on mainstream settings. runs good on gamer settings too but if something explodes on gamer settings it lags. is this normal for a 9800gt sc?

8. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    I would say yes. at the very least, not abnormal.

9. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    it's hard to do step by step dealing with different mobo bioses. you will need to hit f2, or del, or any other number of keys to enter your bios. then in there, you will find cpu settings, and amd cool and quiet. you can disable it. you can then look under hardware, or pc health - for fan settings. if not there, you will need to get software for it (in windows).

TheLaughingMan says thanks.
  10. stayplation3

Thanks Received:
    k ill try later