1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Are Seagate HDD's really that bad?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by RCoon, Nov 30, 2012.

1. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    So I came into work today a little earlier than usual, to find our chief financial officer (she manages who gets paid, and what funding various departments get) complaining about a blue screen on her HP Elite all in one pc (this thing is good, and only 7 months old).
    I go over there in a hurry, check the BSOD, error 0x7A, which translated means HDD is dead. Only 7 months old and HDD dies on me, for one of the more important members of staff.
    I open her up, and lo and behold it's a Seagate Baracuda 500gb hard drive. Call HP, they say they will send a new one out, luckily, i had a spare so i slung that in instead of waiting until monday, and reimaged the machine.
    I have 4TB of games and data on two Seagate Baracuda 2TB 6gbps drives at home, this makes me worried :D
    So my question is, are some people just super unlucky, or are Seagate drives really that unreliable? I've had my two drives for 2 years now, is it time to backup and replace?

2. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    They are unreliable. I have more than 20 drives different brands. For me all seagates have failed.
    They used to be good long ago, then they bought maxtors curses and now it shows more than ever.

3. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I only had 2 WD's fail on me in the past which is not bad over 20 years how ever i have had 6 seagates fail on me..

But there's many people who have the total different experience were the WD fail rate is worse so i just buy what i seem to have luck with as it seems that's all it seems to be in the end.

4. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    All mechanical hardware will eventually fail. The brand doesn't matter. You should always keep backups of important data.

Seagate is as reliable as every other hard drive manufacturer.

There's a reason why products are warranteed for at least a year and that is to compenstate for infant mortalities (products that have a manufacturing defect not caught during quality control). Because nature is chaotic, no two objects are exactly alike. Warrantees compensate for that.

Sinzia says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Yes there realy that bad, out of all the drives myself and all my friends have had Seagate has died more then any other hands down. The last Seagate i had lasted 6weeks =/

6. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    Fair enough, I've always bought Seagate drives for all my PC's and not had a failure yet. I was about to buy a samsung 512 ssd, then thought it might be a safe bet to get myself 2 replacements for those two drives

7. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
    Frick says thanks.
  8. acerace

acerace

Thanks Received:
    Well, I have just one Seagate drive that failed on me, and the funny thing is, it came from a HP PC. How is that? :laugh:

9. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sometimes the way they pack and ship the harddrives also affects the reliability of the drives, there is a period of time when Amazon decided to ship without adequate packaging, and the failure rate was horrendous.

10. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    I personally don't like Seagate or Western Digital they're as bad as each other. If you've not had a bad experience then continue to use them. Segate now own Samsung's old HDD devision which may be some worth (to you). Apparently, the new WD Red drives are very good.

Now that Samsung don't make mechanical drives anymore I'll be purchasing the largest SSD I can afford.

Their, there and they're.

H82LUZ73 says thanks.
  11. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    It might help to say, we have completely used up our surplus 2.5 and 3.5 drives within the last few months, we're talking 20+ drives, all of which failed in HP machines and laptops.

12. acerace

acerace

Thanks Received:
    Guess we know who's to blame. :roll:

13. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    :toast:

Thanks for the link. I think I will use this when folks misspell stuff again.

Yep, especially since it is an AIO (no one should use a 3.5" mechanical in that).

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for posting sense. Alse, here's a more recent link.

Sinzia says thanks.
  15. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    I just ordered the 5 pack for our less than academic english staff :D

16. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I will have to go with others in this thread. I have only had 1 WD fail on me while seagate I have well over 5 fail and one drive failed three times on its own and thats not counting into the 5 for total of 8 RMA's.

Some say they are alittle better now my experiences make me stay clear from their products.

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    I'm more of a fan of WD than Seagate, but I wouldn't say they are "bad" I guess.

18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Ive had 3 WD Black fail and zero Seagate. I think they are all the same crap.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  19. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    My Seagate Barracuda Green outlasted my Corsair Force 3 SSD, so I think it is rather random. Half my shipment of 4 WD Black 500GB for a client was dead last year, and I threw out a 2008 Seagate SATA laptop drive, a 2004 Barracuda 7200.7 SATA (was sitting in an unused Dell for several years, likely lasted less than 3 years) and a 2003 Barracuda ATA IV this month. Most of my HDDs are random Western Digitals from 2003-2012 and I think I've had 2 fail and that's it. Original 36Gb and 74GB Velociraptors are still running perfectly.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  20. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Actually, if anything, the opposite is true. Read Lord Sugar's wikipedia page, for one example. He had a whole line of PCs fail in the marketplace way back in the day due to "unreliable hard disks supplied by Seagate".

They have definitely improved over the years and as far as I can tell are no better or worse than any other brand these days, to which others have also attested in this thread.

21. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    Out of HDDs I've RMA in the past 2 years. 30ish have been Seagates, 5 have been WD, 2 have been Hitachi.

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I see just as my WD come into my shop dead as Seagates, and I've seen probably thousands of bad hard drives in the years I've worked/owned this repair shop.

You'll hear plenty of anecdotal evidence in one direction or the other, but I believe in the end from my huge experience with drives, that one brand is not better than the other it is entirely luck of the draw. And anything important you should have backed up.

Edit:

Holy f*ck! What is up with the RAID Edition drives?! Aren't those supposed to be WD's most reliable?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
    Steevo says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  23. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Hitachis were known for being the worse (hitachi deathstars anyone?) anyhow I have been rocking a Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB for a good while now without any issues, I have had to RMA some WD's in the past though but I wouldn't write WD off just on that basis.

Long story short, you have nothing to worry about.

24. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Go read the papers that google did on drives, they show most of the ideas people have about drives is bullshit, while they did not mention brands only one had a higher failure rate, and it was only by a couple percent.

I have used hundreds of hard drives, and failures usually occurred from

Bad cable and the drive gets blamed.
    PSU failure caused damage to the drive
    Motherboard issues, such as blown or dead caps
    User damage.

I use seagate/hitachi/WD and have had no real issues with any. I used Quantum fireball drives for years and sill have some that work.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  25. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I currently have 10 Seagate drives from 8 to 1 year old all operating in an industrial environment. None have failed.

Sinzia says thanks.