1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Are these parts compatible?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by x_Stricken_x, Sep 18, 2012.

1. x_Stricken_x New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys! I started the build today and the out-of-case boot went fine! :D I mounted the motherboard, power supply and started hooking things up, but I'm purplexed.. Where do my case fans hook in? They have a 3-pin connected to another three pin which ends up being a 4-pronged thing. I looked in the manual and it's not 100% great with details. I don't see any spots that come out to support the 4-pronged pin.. Do I need an adapter or something?

2. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Need pics...Fans can be both 3 pin 4 pin and 4 pin molex. Sounds like your fan hook up to a fan control that plugs into a 4 pin molex from your PSU but cant tell with out pics.

Fans can be a pain as long as your CPU fan is hooked up to your CPU fan header (4 pin) and you have one other exhausting your case your good for now

3. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    ok the fans themselves, does it look like one of the connectors below?

1. http://www.moddiy.com/product_images/x/244/2.0__20127_zoom.jpg (look at left side- Molex Male Plug- Metal Pins in shell)

2. http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#peripheral (Molex Female Plug- barrel style connection inside shell)

3. http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/equipment/31232-biocube-fans.html#post458906

4. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/247232-28-type-connector (looks like the 3rd link except it is a 4 pin)

4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    You only really need 2 pins, 12v and a ground. The third pin is a return signal that tells the machine how fast the fan is spinning. On 4-pin connectors, the 4th pin is a PWM signal that regulates fan speed without changing the provided voltage on the +12v line. Still, you really only need +12v and ground.

x_Stricken_x says thanks.
  5. x_Stricken_x New Member

Thanks Received:
    It looks like the first one. From what I've read though, I should be able to unplug the molex plug and just use the three-pin to connect to the points on the motherboard? I also read somewhere that Molex plugs are mainly for plugging it into the power supply (if you don't have enough case fan plugs), is that correct?

6. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Yes

x_Stricken_x says thanks.
  7. x_Stricken_x New Member

Thanks Received:
    Got everything plugged in and did a second test boot but got a CPU Fan Error showing up on my monitor, along with a no keyboard detected error (which is fine). What confuses me is the CPU fan is spinning fine, any idea what could cause the error? Also, is the power supply fan only supposed to spin at certain heat, or all the time? Mine only spins for a few seconds then stops.

After rebooting a couple times the error went away, is that normal? I read somewhere that if the fan spins lower than the setting in the BIOS it will throw the CPU Fan Error, is there any validity to that?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  8. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    CPUs generally like having the third pin, so they can figure out what speed the fan is operating at. If this information is not present, the system throws up a warning (whether there is a power draw for the fan or not). You should really get a three pin fan, unless you think that the fan you're using is never going to fail. In my experience, this assumption is usually rewarded with an overheating CPU.

As far as the PSU, it depends. Some PSUs want to minimize noise. They will include a thermal resistor that signals the fan to only turn on when a certain temperature is reached. Give the system a bit of running time, and see if the fan kicks on. Given that it starts initially, you've likely got thermal controls. If it runs for a while (10 to 20 minutes on moderate use) without having the fans turn on then you should be concerned.

Additionally, check the product box to see if there are is advertised thermal regulation.

9. x_Stricken_x New Member

Thanks Received:
    The connector I have plugged in has three-pins

Alright, I'll take a look :) It kicks on when I boot it (I'm only doing test boots for now), so I'm not sure if I'll come close to the temperature it would need. Also, on the box it says it's thermally controlled, so I'm assuming that means it will only spin-up when needed

10. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    I never really checked my PSU. I bought a quality one to not worry about it.

You got the CM Hyper 212 EVO right? It has a 4 pin plug. Should be plugged into the 4 pin header marked "CPU fan" on the motherboard

Your Motherboard has two 4 pin fan plugs at the top right on the board. One should say CPU. Not that it matters you just may get the warning

BTW Your board has 6 - 4 pin fan headers.

From your MB specs
    1 x CPU Fan connector(s) (4 -pin)
    4 x Chassis Fan connector(s) (4 -pin)
    1 x Optional Fan connector(s) (4 -pin)

You can plug a three into it just fine

[​IMG]

11. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    I'm running one of those on a Phenom II X6 1100t and the temps are ridiculously low with just one fan... IMO if he doesn't plan on going for the extreme OC, one fan is going to be very effective.

x_Stricken_x and Jetster say thanks.
  12. x_Stricken_x New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry I haven't posted lately! I have to say I am REALLY happy with the end result, and especially the fact that I built it myself (aside from the help here - which is VERY much appreciated!) A quick question though, what is a "good"/expected temperature for the graphics card? Mine is about 46 degrees Celsius (114.8 degrees Fahrenheit). Is that high or good? Also, that temperature is under little to no load (I have the Catalyst Center open while typing this). Also, is the activity measuring VRAM usage, or just data to/from the card? I've only seen it get to ~20% with Minecraft, and will try Orcs Must Die 2 and Dirt: Showdown a bit later.

I'm REALLY happy with the performance for gaming though (everything at stock speeds), besides in Minecraft.. Aside from that though, it's performing good enough for Dirt: Showdown and Orcs Must Die 2 to guess high settings - and both have run flawlessly on that setting! :D

I would again like to thank everyone for their help and for answering my noobish questions. I can safely say thanks to all of you my first build was a major success! Can't wait for the next! ;)

Horrux, Jetster and eidairaman1 say thanks.
  13. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    It really all depends on the quality of the VRMs though as well. sometimes motherboard manufactures will have less VRMs on lower board, and then have more on the higher end, but the higher end has lower quality power design so.

14. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Glad to hear it. I love my SB-E rig even if I only have 4 cores. Works great nonetheless. :cool:
    Very true, but the Pro and Deluxe use about the same VRM setup, the Deluxe just has twice as many power phases. The ROG boards have a different VRM setup for X79, that is for sure.

15. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    My brothers sapphire r 6770 idles at 34 C at 157/300 MHz for core and ram that is with the ambient room temp being 74 degress F. Id say your temps are good. Btw that machine will last several gens and upgrades other than swapping motherboard.

16. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    lets see some Pics of the new rig stricken

17. x_Stricken_x New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll post some later on today when I have more natural light :p (it's 4:08AM as of posting this)

eidairaman1 says thanks.