1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Are these power supply voltages adequate?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jaredudu, Jun 14, 2012.

1. jaredudu

jaredudu

Thanks Received:
    Hello everyone,

I was just looking at my PSU voltages in the BIOS and I was wondering if the 12, 5 and 3.3 are still considered within the proper tolerances. The power supply is a Corsair TX650 that is about 3 years old.

[​IMG]
  2. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    You really can't rely on software readings for psu voltages. If you really want to test it, you'll need a multimeter. Assuming those readings are accurate, though, they're fine.
    jaredudu says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Even then you don't know for sure until you put it under stress as this is when the voltages will drop if there is a issue.

Can you get multimeter's that can be connected to the rails while in use ?.. Never thought about it to be honest.. Just thinking about it makes me think their might be just cheaper than what websites use :p.

You could try OCCT which will put the PSU under stress. I had this system under stress with OCCT some months ago as my PSU is nearing 5 years now and stressed it around 450w which is way over what the system ever goes to as it's never over 300w.

On my old AMD 3800 x2 i was able to use speedfan and monitor the voltages which told me whe 12v rail was getting weak is it was dropping to 10.2v which in turn hard shutdown time.
    jaredudu says thanks.
  4. jaredudu

jaredudu

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for the replies, I have not found a problem that reads the 12v on this board, for some reason, but the other ones did not sway under heavy load. I think the power supply is still running strong, but if I get ambitious one day I will whip out the mutlimeter :)
  5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Good to hear.

If your playing a graphic intensive game and the comp just shuts down it maybe a warning.

What you should do if not already is to un plug the PSU and use a can of compressed air. All so good for your LCD \HDTV too as there often forgotten about..
  6. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    What does your Bios say? Go by that and not software! :cool:
  7. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    That is his BIOS (technically, his UEFI setup).
    Jstn7477 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    As long as the voltages are within +/- 5% of what they should be, you're fine. Most of the first generation Corsair PSUs are getting older but should still be good for a couple more years. My 2009 TX750 is still going strong. 4-6 years is probably a good estimate for the lifespan of a decent quality, decently loaded PSU that has been operating most of the time, although there are plenty of exceptions such as some of the OEM PSUs I've pulled from trashed rigs that still work today with decent loads considering they are about 8+ years old.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  9. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Missed that my bad :eek: