1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Are these temps normal? (Radeon HD 6850)

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Edmond, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Edmond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello people

I need an expert's opinion on the temps of my laptop. 2 weeks ago I bought the HP Envy 2199el 3D with i7-2630, Radeon HD 6850 and 8 Gigs of RAM.

Now, these are my temps as much as 5 minutes into gameplay : they jump from about 50 (IDLE) to 80+ celcius degree

[​IMG]

I only noticed them 2 days ago as it was then when the fan started making this very loud noise and blowing so much hot air which is IMO unbearable in the long term.

I don't think I have any malicious software in my pc, and I installed this one before updating the AMD drivers to 11.11.

Anyone?? I'm starting to really really worried...

2. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    If it were a desktop PC then there would be something wrong. However on a laptop these temps are pretty average.

You have a decent CPU and GPU both pushing high power consumption, and a lot of heat out. The heatsinks in the machine are doing there job to the required level but there nothing special.

If your concerned i would contact HP. I don't think there is anything wrong with your system.. It's just running hot under full load. Something that is to be expected.

HP have been noted along with other companies of providing inadequate cooling on laptops. Causing problems later in the products life. If you can extend your warranty then it is something to be considered.

If you are concerned enough to warrant action and HP say the temps are fine then I would suggest you look into a laptop cooler.

http://www.laptopcoolerreviews.com/reviews/top-10-best-laptop-coolers/

Spartan805 says thanks.
  3. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    Very average for a laptop especially one with a video card a fair number of people still have in desktops :/

4. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd say absolutely normal considering the specs of the laptop.

5. Edmond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Guys, first let me thank you for your attention

Now, the problem is that prior to 2-3 days ago the fans were no way this loud, nor was the amount of HOT AIR blown this high...it was normal, and very bearable. This one can be heard from 10-15 meters away.

Could the new driver be the culprit?

I did the mistake of installing 11.11WHQL on top of the old one, but even though I followed the AMD tutorials yesterday in reinstalling it the problem persists. I used no DriveSweeper though, I am very scared of deleting dlls.

The Intel Gpu runs almost 10 Celsius degrees cooler and indeed handles normal computing much better (If anyone is familiar with those very flash-heavy games by Zynga on facebook, the Intel GPU makes no noise and cold air comes from the fans....the AMD GPU makes some noise)

6. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You definitely should try a clean install, but don't think drivers are culprit. Only thing I can think of is the heatsoak might not be making good contact all of the sudden.

7. subhendu

subhendu New Member

Thanks Received:
    are you using a laptop or a desktop?

8. Edmond New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^^Hp Envy is a laptop . 50+ C degrees while browsing and 80+ while playing with Draksiders is not normal

9. arnoo1

Thanks Received:
    That are normal temps for a laptop, those chips are made for higher temps

Sorry for the typo

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  10. subhendu

subhendu New Member

Thanks Received:
  11. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    Actually they seems normal.
    The desktop counter part which is the 6770/5770 can often goes to 70~80C under load depending on the actual model and case ventilation.
    Laptop GPUs are already down-clocked and consumption less power to cope with the cooling (or the lack of).
    People complains because they don't know what they are buying.
    Any decent GPU + CPU will run hot with those pitiful heatsinks on laptops.

12. Edmond New Member

Thanks Received:
    I knew very well what I was buying, I have followed the official thread in forum.notebookreview for over 6 months (there are over 660 pages). I bought the Italian version which has some small differences compared to the others. One such difference is that I can not in any way adjust the fans. I checked the Bios as the US versions can turn them on/off there but mine has only some (which are all positive :)) My fans make this annoying noise for the smallest flash application ugh...how I can study this way?

Maybe I need to switch to a previous Bios version. Who knows, maybe the current one turns ON/OFF THE fans for every crap in process.

13. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    Yup certain HP laptops do have this annoying problem with the fan, but temperature wise things seems normal.
    Maybe if you turn off hardware acceleration in flash the fan might not spin up.