1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Are we at pretty much the max needed for high end graphics cards in 2013/2014?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by vawrvawerawe, Jun 18, 2014.

?

Which side is the PS4?

1. The left side

39.7%
  2. The right side

60.3%
  1. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    I have 2x 7950 I got last year, and even just one of them plays any game (ANY game!) on ultra with maximum settings at 1080p.

I can't really see anyone even needing to get a new graphics card, because in addition to overpowered graphics cards (for the high end), graphics themselves have pretty much plateaued. For example the PS4 was not even a graphical improvement over the PS3. Yes, a **marginal** but in fact I have found many comparisions of ps3 vs ps4 to be so ambiguous that I could not tell which side was the PS4. In fact, I GUESSED WRONG several times thinking the PS3 side looked better so thinking that side was the PS4 until they showed at the end of the video it was in fact ps3.

Granted, we are talking about PC graphics here, not console -- but consider in any case the fact that the PS4 **is just a glorified PC running a unix OS** (yes, seriously). And my PC I built last year is better than this new PS4.

Anyhow, my point is that graphics have reached a point that they can't get much better. And being that they can't get much better, then the demand for increased graphics processing power is decreasing by the same proportion.

I'm not even sure I'm ever going to need to upgrade to a new graphics card until (and IF) 4K becomes the new standard. The best Radeon graphics card on the market is the R9 290X -- and is is LESS POWERED than my two 7950. And keep in mind it is twice the price I paid for each of my 7950's, and the fact is is not really a better graphics card but really just a "two for one deal" all wrapped up into one shiny package.

Basically, graphics card people have been releasing "new" graphics cards which are pretty much the same graphics card times two, and for double the price a year later. Yeah, what a bargain... Titan, R9, etc - these overpriced cards are no better than the two cards they they condensed into one (well, MARGINAL improvement, depending on your card), but for double the price. So in other words, the SAME PRICE FOR THE SAME PRODUCT, just you have to buy two (..in one package, yeah yeah whatever).

So I'm just wondering your opinion. There will always be people wanting the latest and greatest, even if it's no real improvement. Well besides those people, do you think there will be a real demand for any graphics upgrade anytime in the near future? I can't see it happenning, at least until and if 4K mainstreams.

Now for a nice comparison:

Which one is the PS4? Can you guess correctly?

After I get enough responses I will post the photo again which will show at the bottom which is which (I just placed a black box with a question mark over the 3 and 4).

ps3-vs-ps4.jpg

2. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    We doesn't care for those console peasantry low res stuff.

Twice the performance for the same base price as the last gen, its not the same as it used to be where software and hardware have a lot of improvements to do, for now its 50% increase in the same price bracket plus other features.

Sir B. Fannybottom says thanks.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  3. Wonsu

Thanks Received:
    The second one is the PS4.

4. Deelron

Thanks Received:
    What he said, although I kind of want to be wrong so I save money on my next graphics card.

5. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    Go play in the Star Citizen Arena Commander module and then tell me there's no need for more graphics power ;)

That photo comparison is dreadful by the way - the PS3 was at its limits where the PS4 edition of the game isn't finished and won't be maxing out the PS4's capability. Put a screenshot from the original Crysis and ask people which looks best.

FordGT90Concept and RCoon say thanks.
  6. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    The only thing the PS4 has going for it over the PS3 is the ability to have higher res textures as far as from what I've seen and of course churn out higher frames. I'm not going to be getting a console. last gen my friends had consoles so I had to get one just to play with them. Now that I've shown them the glory of the PC, they have all gotten gaming PC's (that I've built for them) and we play lots of league.

The only way they can get people to even buy consoles is with exclusives and gimmicky Augment Reality features that in reality the PC can do.

7. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Uh you could also upgrade from now-lowly 1080P.

8. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    lel please 1080p is still by far the industry standard in mass market resolutions.

remixedcat says thanks.
  9. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Since when did you become fine with the industry standards? :p

@ OP, for 1080p there isn't a whole ton of need for serious GPU power, but many in the gaming realm are already on higher res IPS panels, and most are just waiting for all the stars to align for a reasonable deal on a 4K screen.

manofthem and Solaris17 say thanks.
  10. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Someone isn't in the Star Citizen universe, otherwise they wouldn't make such silly statements as "graphics themselves have pretty much plateaued." :)

FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  11. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    you are correct and I was mistaken. most computers that can access the internet are actually in 1366x768

http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

Arjai, rooivalk and sneekypeet say thanks.
  12. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    I feel like we've hit the cap for what we need graphically. Anybody that buys top of the line gear now shouldn't have to upgrde again until we get a gpu that can single handedly run 4k. Like if someone buys 2 780 TI's or 2 290x's and the top z97 or x79 board/processor, they honestly shouldn't have to upgrade anything but the gpu when 4k becomes the norm. I'm debating this now. The buying top of the line parts

13. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm still fine with my 7970 on 1440p. I don't think I've held on to a GPU for so long, but it's been a great card.

INSTG8R says thanks.
  14. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    I didn't realize those were that powerful. I went from a 4850 to a 780, so I missed everything in between

15. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    I think textures and effects are larger now but the difference isn't all that noticeable so we don't view current games as looking much better than 2 year old games, however current games do require more GPU power.

Also you are running 1080P and the $250-350 VGA segment has always been the sweet spot.

16. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    Interesting, about half people tihnk it's the left and half people think it's the right side. Goes to show how much not better ps4 is if people can't even be sure which is which. It's basically like, flip a coin, that one is PS4. Worth the extra 300% cost plus a whole new game library? I think not. There was no need for a new PS4. Sony just wants to make more money off almost nothing.

17. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    I bought top of the line last year on black friday (not this past black friday but the 2012 black friday), for less than the exact same parts cost for brand new today over a year and a half later. In fact, SSD has gone UP for the exact same drives since then. And my PC still is a top of the line PC and at this rate it will continue to be top of the line for another year or more. My PC still blows away 99.999% of PCs and the remainder it is on par with, and I built it over a year and a half ago.

18. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    I actually seen a 4k display yesterday and it was amazingly sharp and vivid. It looks really good, but I don't understand why some much power is needed to drive it. I am buying one. They said at BB that they probably wont be on sale for black friday. But I've seen two 780 TIs and 290x's drive it on high\ultra setting on youtube, with no AA of course. I don't see the need for it at that rez.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  19. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:

Picked a random time frame on my site stats software and here's what I got visiting my site:

statcounter.com_2014-06-20_21-28-24.png

Hellfire, INSTG8R and Solaris17 say thanks.
  20. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That game in particular is a poor representation. They didn't really change much of anything with the port over. Last of Us is a great looking game, but more in an overall sense, not necessarily good looking close up. Low res. textures for consoles that can't handle higher res. textures. GTA V should have some good differences. Newer "nex-gen" games are looking better. Either way you're fine with your setup, probably don't even need the second card at all.

21. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Are visitors to your site more technologically inclined than the general public? It will skew datasets.

Then again, Steam data survey posts 34% 1920x1080p users

22. 64K

Thanks Received:
    When the install base of the new gen consoles become high enough for developers to start using more resources for games then more GPU performance will be needed for PC gaming. The last I heard they had sold around 10 million units combined but I read that they guessed that there are around 150 million Xbox 360s and PS3s out there. The more resources the developers have the more they use. Here's an example of what I'm seeing.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/09/why-borderlands-the-pre-sequel-isnt-on-ps4-or-xbox-one

23. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Mine targets enterprises too and I've had a fair share of lower res older systems too. Its a mixed content blog as well. I have architecture and music stuff on there too so it has a wide audience.

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  24. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Consoles have nothing to do with graphics cards, is this one of the most baffled threads or is it me.
    We need more gpu grunt, try a 4k screen or three for starters never mind trying the same graphical fidelity we have now in games in immersed 3d at 100fps per eye .
    More x10 just for now imho

More than 25k PPD
  25. 64K

Thanks Received:
    Most of our PC games are ported from console versions is what I was getting at. The ports may be better in the future for PC games from the new gen consoles since they are closer to just an average PC now but they will also have far more resources to use than was available to the last gen consoles.

But yeah, if 4k does catch on mainstream then we will need more performance from GPUs for that reason alone.