1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Are we at pretty much the max needed for high end graphics cards in 2013/2014?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by vawrvawerawe, Jun 18, 2014.

?

Which side is the PS4?

1. The left side

40.7%
  2. The right side

59.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Most isn't all and in All id like ultra ultra settings 4k (1 screen for now:)) 144fps vsyncd please.
    We have quite a way to go yet.

More than 25k PPD
  2. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    The ported games are just the ones from Ubisoft/EA etc and should probably be avoided anyway.

erocker says thanks.
  3. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    Well actually consoles use a graphics chip just the same as PCs. In order to run graphics, you need a graphics chip. In fact, PS4 uses a graphics chip that compares with between a Radeon HD 7850 and 7870.

However, my point was not to compare PC graphics to consoles. I was merely making a point about the progress of graphics in general; and comparing a previous console version to current console version is a better generalization than trying to compare an old and new graphics card, because it's pretty difficult to try to find an example of the exact same game played on a 10 year old PC with a graphics card to a directly comparable PC using the same game and newer graphics card. Not to mention the game also would be outdated and any 10 year old PC could not run a modern high-res PC game for accurate comparison purposes.

Thus, it is reasonable to consider consoles as a constant in the increase in graphics resolution; and being that consoles are consistent hardware-wise, consoles are the best way to compare by screenshot increases in graphics over the period of about a decade.

4. Toothless

Toothless

Thanks Received:
    Max graphics? What is this? I used a GT 220 as my first ever GPU, and still played games at a decent rate. (Given the lowest resolution was needed)

Switched to a GTX660OC and I still don't care for maxing out games. I think some people will join me on thinking this way but, as long as I can play the game and not lag to death, I'll do it.

XSI says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. TheHunter

TheHunter

Thanks Received:
    Wait for real next-gen games in 2015, then you will see them gpus doing some crazy workout :D

I personally can't wait for those games, 5tflops power should be enough for anything imo, U4E apparently needs ~3tflops power.

6. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    So you're making an argument for what console is better based on a single crappy screenshot for a game that was probably coded to run on PS3 natively and then ported to PS4?

You sir have won all the internets.

:slap:

TheHunter and remixedcat say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:

it's what he does ;)

8. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Their not going max out the PS4 so soon it's not logical as they make more money making small improvements over time which extends the life of the console.

And as people pick up 4k for the PC video cards will have to get more powerful.

XSI and jmcslob say thanks.
  9. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    Consoles just now made it to real 1080p and 4k TV's are just now coming out without a real standard for content delivery...
    1080p is here to stay for at least the next 5-6 years...So yes, for now just about any middle grade GPU is fine...
    I'm still waiting for an end to GFX cards and I'm hoping that happens before 4k is the standard resolution for TV's.

vawrvawerawe and AsRock say thanks.
  10. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Another "issue" is that, even if we have access to all this graphical power, games are still bound to what developers can do within their budgets. There's always going to be the Skyrim or Battlefield that pushes thing to the edge but those games are far and between.

jmcslob says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    To me 4k will be a no go for a hell long time i be more interested in these company's who make the games a lot more about playability. As a game can have great graphics and you would not play it as the rest of the game is medicore.

Any thing over 1080 has no point to me as i don't want to have a comp sucking up some 600w +, as i have a feeling 4k will all so require more gpu power and that's power usage is getting crazy and is just silly amount of power just to play a game..

XSI, vawrvawerawe and jmcslob say thanks.
  12. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    Imma explain my whole thought process here....
    What we know as a GFX is basically throwing POWER at something until we can figure out how to do it efficiently.....
    Here is the absolute best example I feel can be given
    From the mid 90's to the best mobile tech you can fit in your hand
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PowerVR_products

Now if they can do what they did with PowerVR, Think what they'll be able to do with more modern instruction sets in 5-10 years...

vawrvawerawe says thanks.
  13. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    That's like saying, "you should buy something now for $300 more than it will be 5 to 10 years from now when developers *maybe* might have bigger budgets to spend on better graphics, when the PS4 system costs only $200 by that time.. even though you will get practically zero ROI for the additional expenditure since during that 5-10 years the graphics will remain the same (because if you waited a few years to buy the system the price would be less than half the current price, based on PS3 cost decreases; and during those few years the PS3 has the same or better graphics depending on who you're asking, and there is no guarantee that PS4 graphics really can get any better, or if developers will ever spend millions more in their budgets to increase graphics to any noticeable difference.)"

Tell me if you were trying to say something different.

p.s. Battlefield 4 is basically exactly the same graphics as Battlefield 3. Many people are calling it "Battlefield 3.5" because Battlefield 4 is not really a new game or better graphics but just an upgrade (or downgrade, depending on who you ask) from Battlefield 3. Only major difference is some new maps, which they could have just released new maps for Battlefield 3.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  14. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    I agree

15. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    With yourself???
    A month later no less?????
    :confused::confused::confused:

16. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    it apparently takes time for one personality to take over for another. At any rate there's no denying that the ps4 is more powerful than the ps3. Eventually games will take advantage of that. Seeing as the last cycle was 6 years long there's plenty of time.

17. savas

Thanks Received:
    I was baffled as how graphic cards have not advanced as much as they used to.. It's really weird, but then when you think about it and pin point exactly when this trend started and it seems to be that with the console market aligning with PC games and in that sense being comparable/competitive, you notice that there may be a connection.

They want games to be similar and playable on all platforms. When a game developer makes a game they make it so it works for a console - if that's their intention - so that means PC graphic cards aren't struggling, because the console graphics is their standard... If they go beyond what a console can handle they won't be able to release it and that would be a big chunk of a market out.. They could however make it so a PC can up the quality and the consoles can stay on a level that works, but that means extra work and clear visual differences that they would probably want to avoid just for the silly sense of not pissing off console makers... AND WE ALL KNOW that when it comes to doing extra stuff developers will skip it if it doesn't change the overall game objectives.

So I think when you would best upgrade your card is when just after console developers release a new version, which allows game developers to finish their games for them so your graphic card purchase would be more than enough until the next one, as long as your card can easily handle everything on max at the time..

18. 64K

Thanks Received:
    This response should be considered.

19. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    This is such a random thread. A half-assed port is a meaningless example. Most of the stuff I see around the enthusiasts community is about how horribly underpowered today's cards are. With a 1.3 GHz 780 Ti I can get acceptable frame rates in Crysis 3/Modded Skyrim at the relatively common 1440p res, but that's the top single card with a really high 24/7 clock and with bare minimum AA, and we're still talking below 60 FPS a lot of the time. Cards aren't advancing fast enough for the up coming wave of next gen ports and 4k monitors. We need like 2-3x the graphical power we currently have only we need it now, not 2 years from now which is when we'll get it.

20. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    I feel like we just got to the point where we can ran 1080p to its full potential. I still see 4K being a long ways off if it truly catches on. I know some people don't like the youtube tech guy Linus, but he believes UltraWide is the future and not 4K. I'm really leaning toward buying a UW monitor. Those can be run now if you hae a fairly powerful rig. Like the LG 1440p UW monitor. 4K is still a long ways down the road before its runs with fluidity

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    XSI says thanks.
  21. XSI

XSI

Thanks Received:
    +1 for ultrawide. even 4k is nice i would preffer ultrawide 29-34" monitor.

Champ says thanks.
  22. sliderider

Thanks Received:
    That's all those cheap laptops and tablets doing that. I can't actually remember the last time I saw a 1366x768 monitor for sale anywhere. Heck, I can't even remember the last time I saw a 1440x900 or 1680x1050 monitor for sale anywhere. Most desktop PC monitors I see for sale are 1920x1080 or greater now.

23. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    ok

24. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    Not that i shop to buy hardware from wal-mart, but half of their monitors are 1600x900. As an enthusiast you probably don't remember 1680x1050 or lower because that's not what you look for. I can go to my in-law's house, my buddies or any number of family friends pc's that i have worked on and most are sporting 1280x1024 lcd's or 1440x900. I feel 1680x1050 was the odd medium for those that didn't want to pay 200-300 bucks for 1080p 3-5 years ago(i was one of them ;)).

As for the comment way up above, i agree the best time to upgrade a GPU is after a new console release and maybe 2 years after a console release when dev have gotten a hold on how to fully utilize the consoles potential. Me personally, i'm going to wait for the GTX 8XX or R9-3XX? gen to come out and then upgrade from my GTX 560.

25. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Say thanks to all makers reheating old stuff under new names. Radeon R9 series below 290 spring to my mind. And because lower end modern versions are the same as old ones, no one has any expectations for the top end. And that's why we are stagnating for ages now. NVIDIA is no better in this regard.