1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Are wireless routers any good

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BiGShiRley, Nov 29, 2005.

1. BiGShiRley New Member

Thanks Received:
    For gaming im not want to spend to much around £50 - £80ish would i be hard wired in to it as the main pc and my boy on wireless, any info on this would be great with links to routers.:nutkick:

2. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    personally i dont like wireless .. they add a good deal to the latency (if you are into online gaming) .. the signal hardly goes thru more than two walls .. the signal rarely cover multiple floors .. if you can wire network cable go for it

on the other hand nothing nicer than sitting in the garden with the lappy and surfing the net in the sunshine :)

3. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You could get a wireless router similiar to this one then you would have wireless and wired capability. The computer you use for gaming could be hardwired and any others could be wireless. Just make sure you get 802.11 B or 802.11 G. 802.11 G is better, but slightly more expensive. 802.11 G is also backward compatible with 802.11 B. Surfing in the sunshine is nice :) .

4. AMDCam New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I've got a Linksys w/speedbooster Wireless-G router. My room has no network connections near my desktop so we went wireless. I LOVE it. It's so simple, just search for a network, connect, put in the 128-bit key, and you got some quick internet. The router's in the basement, and I live on the 3rd floor (if the basement's the first) and it still has "Excellent" connection. Just as quick as my landline (network, not dial-up) used to be (in my old room), plus I have a laptop now and that makes it AWESOME to walk around and still use internet. I play CS:S and on average my latency on any server is around 50-70, never higher than 73, so that's pretty good. I've never gotten interference or slowdown either. Only problem is price, getting your house wireless equipped is expensive. But if you can afford it, it's definitely worth it, especially if you have a laptop.

5. EnglishLion

EnglishLion New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've got a wireless network based on a Linksys BEFW11S4 802.11b router. I have my desktop wired to it which also runs the printer and my laptop run a linksys PC card. I also have a media centre that runs a usb adapter and a iPAQ 4150 with built in wireless.

All of it runs like a dream, I can listen to internet radio on my iPAQ 4150 while mowing the lawn, I get internet on my media centre for downloading music etc and internet and printing access from my laptop.

As for gaming, I use my desktop which is wired but I did test my wireless in a mock LAN game with my desktop and laptop on Ghost Recon and there was no noticable lag. I had both PCs on the same desk so that I could see the effect immediately.

However we've always resorted to wired LAN for big gaming nights as not everyone has a wireless adapter for their PC.

All in all I say wireless is great and most routers have some wired connections too anyway.

6. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    Umm, also, if you use the connection a lot for gaming, a router can stop you from hosting online games, and other services for online users such as teamspeak or rogerwilco.

If you can, get a cable connection! Less hassle and a faster link! ;)

7. AMDCam New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well the thing is, it is cable, it's just cable turned wireless. And I can do EVERYTHING on wireless, there is nothing I can't do except I guess unplug the cable from my computer. You buy a router like you would with any network, but you just get a wireless router if you want wireless. Then you get a wireless pc and BAM, instant connection.

8. spectre440 New Member

Thanks Received:
    personally, i LOVE my wireless router and the connectivity i get from it.
    i have a d-link DI-624 unit, extreme-G (up to 108mpbs), 2.4ghz so it goes through walls excellent, the connection i get from it on my laptop is just as fast as the connection i get from it on my desktop which is wire-connected to it.

and i suffer absolutly no ill-effects of the wireless-ness when i game on my laptop.
    but hey, that's just my case and point of view.

9. Aevum

Thanks Received:
    personaly, first i would look aroud the shops and sites where i usualy buy from and see whats available, then start looking around in various networking and hardware forums looking around for what other people say about it, the key is not posting yourself, but looking for posts from people who allready bought it and see what issues they have encounterd with it,

hardware site reviews are usualy usless becuase they dont test things like P2P and long range reliability (you only get one to test for a week, you wont see the real bugs),

i dont know many networking forums, but i can start you off with the linksys one, which is linksysinfo.com