1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Are you a thrower? Or a hoarder? Re: pc hardware

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by Black Panther, Oct 28, 2008.

?

What do you do with hardware you don't use anymore?

1. Throw away - the cheap price is not worth the hassle to sell!

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  2. Sell - even $1 makes it worth getting rid of stuff I'll never use!

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
  3. Keep - might come useful later!

20 vote(s)
    45.5%
  4. What? I actually collect other people's obsolete hardware!

14 vote(s)
    31.8%
  1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    When you decide to upgrade, and you buy the necessary parts, what do you do with what you don't need anymore? What happened to that computer your dad bought you 10 years ago?

I'm a serial chronic hoarder. I even keep my defective motherboards, old pci internal modems which I'm sure I won't be using anymore. I have my own house and inside I have all the pc's from 386 onwards which my family had bought (and now scrapped). I have a dozen by now. And I'm working to try to get them to work without spending any money as much as possible...

Once I went to an office and they had a whole mural with bits and pieces of hardware glued together. It looked really neat and I plan to do something similar in the future with the dead hardware I have on the shelves.... :eek:

So I keep everything. Apart from the whole and half-whole pc's I have all hardware sorted in shelves: those working on one side, and faulty/rubbish on the other side (one day the rubbish will form the mural...)

What I plan to throw away are a couple of beige cases which are rusted beyond repair.

I never sold any hardware so far. I 'gave' my 8600GTS to my brother (and my dad in return paid my desktop monitor) because he really needed a dedicated graphics card and it would have been a pity to leave it wasting on a shelf, and I wouldn't sell it for crap.

But what I described so far is nothing.

Because I don't only hoard what I have... I also pick up what isn't mine. Nope I don't steal, but I do pick up what others throw out. :eek:

My addiction started like 8 years ago, I passed a bank which was refurbishing and saw these 2 apparently new dot-matrix OKI printers in the rubbish. Picked them up.... and we're still using them to this day. They're very economical because the cartridge is cheap, it lasts more than a month of printing 100 pages per day..... and not only they were free but they never ever needed any repair! :D

After that I didn't stop. If I see anything, I pick it up. If it works I try to put it to good use. If it doesn't.... it stays on a shelf.

Around 6 months ago I opened my front door to find a pc tower next door, very obviously waiting for rubbish collection. I picked it up, the only functioning parts were motherboard, cpu and hard-disk. The CPU was a 333Mhz Celeron. Thanks to my 'repertoire 'of hoarded stuff I took a sound-card from one 'dead' pc, RAM from another, and an ancient GPU from another.... and it's now working as an office pc in our office. (And I took the better office computer home in return for my kid to game on). The office computer having an Athlon 1.5Ghz and 512MB RAM isn't that great for gaming, but adding an FX5500 256MB makes it more than enough for a little six-year old kid's games. Much better than a Celeron 333Mhz with 128MB RAM, Nvidia Vanta 16MB GPU and an ISA bus sound-card! And since that particular pc at work only needs to run Office and Excel, the 333Mhz is just great.

Now last week the same incident happened. I was driving, and a few blocks down the road from my workplace I saw a complete pc system on the pavement. Complete minus desk and chair, lol. I picked up tower, monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, all cables, cd case and even desk-lamp...
    Plugged in everything and powered it up, :eek: I was surprised to hear no beeps and Win 98 booted up on some 300Mhz processor and 32 MB RAM. I haven't yet opened it up to check what there is inside. I'm just happy that I obtained a functioning pc which can play all my old games - which obviously I have still hoarded up from the 90's - can't wait to install Tyrian, Entomorph, Jill of the Jungle, Prince of Persia I and II.. :eek: Plus I got the bonus of some entertaining reading of a teen-age boy's diaries and love letters... :eek:
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
    lemonadesoda says thanks.
  2. das müffin mann

das müffin mann New Member

Thanks Received:
    hoarder
    can't help it, i love tinkering with old parts
    and i to am guilty of picking up curb side components(it's like finding buried treasure, and i;ve gotten some NICE stuff over the years from stupid people trowing away easily fixable stuff, but then there are those things that really are broken)
    Black Panther says thanks.
  3. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I sell all my old crap. The only thing I still have from my old build is my 4200+, but my dad uses it.
  4. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    I try to sell most my old equipment. Sometimes I hoard some golden oldies. I have a 386 cpu and a 1 GB HDD from over 10 y/o.
  5. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    I trade all my old hardware for crack.
  6. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So far a hoarder, but I'm new to the game. I would be a seller if I could bear to part w/ hardware at such a low fraction of what I paid for it, but it usually doesn't seem worth it, but eventually it probably will.
  7. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    I'm a terrible hoarder. I intend to sell a lot of stuff... but never get round to it.
  8. mc-dexter

mc-dexter New Member

Thanks Received:
    well... i've had 4 diffrent setup's in the past 2 years, my brother has always been the unlucky one they've stopped working on, and they're all from diffrent era's so i can't even fix one with another, even more so cause people are tight round here, they keep the part's themselfs or already know someone to pass them onto :(
  9. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Really guys thanks for your replies and votes. I had been thinking I had some OCD (obsessive-compulsive-disorder) for filling up my room and gathering up thrown-away stuff... :/
  10. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Sell Sell Sell. I don't have the space or the need for it, sell it and get cash to buy more stuff.
  11. aximbigfan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Horde. I need to sell some stuff...
  12. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Once I get my car, I might start selling stuff. However, right now I mainly throw out old stuff (or hold onto it- for example my Compaq Portable 286 :) )
  13. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I didn't vote because you don't have a category for me.
    I keep everything. Then give it away when I find someone who needs it.

Anyone need 4 good tires and rims from a Ford Probe? :roll:
  14. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    o man i keep EVERYTHING im going to have a sale soon but thats because i am now out of space......but the n ill just collect again
  15. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    I fall into that category willing to take freebie-obsoletes off of others. Hell, even if I never have a use for it, I find some strange joy in saying "Dude! I've totally got a Creative Banshee laying around!"

Some, though, just deserve so much respect, I can't bear to give them up - a certain VooDoo 3 springs to mind . . . :respect:
  16. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I just opened the drawer where I keep boxes of Christmas cards.
    I found an ATI 9800 AGP card (I think). Cool! Worthless, but Cool!
  17. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:

I echo that sentiment! :toast: :D
  18. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I am a collector.

I hav a windows NT Compaq server with the old style SCSI drives and the BIOS on them I bought for $20 back in the day off a auction. Came loaded with a unlimited client licanse and lots of customers personal info, worth a few hundred bucks to the insurance company for me to delete.

Old HP with the speakers mounted to the monitor and all the controls on the monitor for the sound, has a rage card.

Well, just lots of old stuff, but I trade up my computers, my second one I built is still running at another store location. My first has been passed back to me.

But I currently have 7PC's here. five of which work or could work if I put hardware I have pulled back in them.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  19. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hoarder :eek: I think I still have an Intel Overdrive (the name of a 486-derived CPU) my Dad gave me, at the parents' place.
  20. _jM

_jM New Member

Thanks Received:
    It depends on how old it is and how good it still works. I usually keep it if its good and end up selling it or using it to fix up friends machines.
  21. Error 404

Error 404 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I currently have 5 PCs in my house, 4 of them belonging to me.
    I hoard everything, keep everything, and try and upgrade everything to working order!
    I'm currently eyeing my friend's 486 based Compaq laptop and another of my friend's 286 desktop. :D
    I have a 10 mb/s Ethernet card, an S3 Trio 2D/3D, a 16 MB SDRAM 6 stick, a 486 and a Pentium CPU, as some of my favorite parts. :)
  22. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I hoard. In the end, I usually give my leftover stuff away to friends/family that need it.
  23. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Same as Wile E for me. Sometimes I have to sell loads of stuff just to free up some space.
  24. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I recycle it. ;)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I tend to keep a lot of junk, I have no issues giving away things, throwing away is harder :)

Things with little or no value are a waste of time to sell, things that can get me some cash I do sell.