• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Are you getting Disc Read Errors in PS3? Check this out?

sarareid

PS3 Disc Read Error Repair Guide

This fix is for those of you that don't seem to have problems running downloaded games and using media off of sources that are not the drive. Most often this is caused

by the Blu-Ray laser going bad.

This will require a part KES-400AAA looks like the going rate is $70-$100.

Some Additional Tips Not In The Guide:

* If you have worked on PCs this shouldn't be that hard. If you have worked on Notebooks, you shouldn't find the PS3 to be very difficult at all. Most notebook

chassis are far more tedious then the PS3's.
* DOWNLOAD THE TIGUY99 GUIDE!!!! Read the guide a couple of times. Note the manner in which the PS3 is sitting in each photo.
* Have the guide open on your notebook or PC as you work. Otherwise print it out.
* Make sure you have enough time to take it apart and put it back together. It will take about an hour. You don't want to take it apart then try to put it back

together the next morning.
* Make sure you have a clean work area. With PLENTY OF LIGHT, I used my kitchen counter.
* Have places to sit parts out of the way.
* Have the right tools, you don't want to strip every screw.
* Get a ground strap in addition to the tools outlined.
* Have several containers to keep the screws in, one for each level of "disassembly" is what I used.
* Careful getting the first rubber foot off, I trashed mine.
* Keep track of where the coarse threaded vs. fine threaded screws come from. The coarse threaded screws generally screw directly into the plastic chassis.
* Clean the pieces as you disassemble the PS3, a vacuum with a hose attachment and canned air work great. Stubborn dust bunnies may require a paper towel dampened

with alcohol.
* Keep the work area clean as you work. Be careful not to vacuum any screws. This will insure no dust (or pet hair) get into any of the blu-ray drive's internal

areas.
* A few minor steps are missing from the guide, but they are fairly easy to figure out.
* Careful with the ribbon cables, each one has a clip to hold them on. Some release the opposite way of others.
* Righty tighty, lefty loosey!
* When assembling the PS3 make sure you have all the cables where they should be as you put it together. You don't want to have to take it back apart a bit to get

a cable where it's supposed to be. Be sure ports meet the port-holes as they are supposed to. Over all everything should have a tight fit.
* When you put the screws back in you just need to secure everything, you aren't entering a strongman contest. Over torquing these screws may result in a funny

looking PS3.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
This isn't always true. The PS3 can mess up a patch on your system and it will slowly mess things up. This is what happened ot my console, at first it wouldn't play BF BC, then it played it fine for about 6 months. Then the issue arose again, I sent it in since I had a warranty and they sent it back saying my drive was fine and everything checked out.

So me being all happy puts BF BC back in and disc read error. So I do some more research and find out about patching issues. Unfortuneatly you cannot uninstall patches. Good thing was it was only for BF BC, bad thing was, thats the only game I wanted to play. I wasn't going to send it back in, but then one day it started doing it on every single CD game I owned.

And apparently it's giving them freaking issues because it's suppose to be back to me in 7-10 business days and it's been almost 2 months... :(:mad::banghead: