1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Are you using an SSD ?

Discussion in 'TPU Frontpage Polls' started by W1zzard, Mar 1, 2011.

?

Are you using an SSD ?

Poll closed Mar 16, 2011.
  1. Yes, up to 150 GB

982 vote(s)
    22.0%
  2. Yes, more than 150 GB

277 vote(s)
    6.2%
  3. No

850 vote(s)
    19.0%
  4. I can afford a small SSD, but saving for bigger

411 vote(s)
    9.2%
  5. I'm buying one soon

287 vote(s)
    6.4%
  6. I want one, but I'm poor

1,662 vote(s)
    37.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hv43082

Thanks Received:
    2 Intel G2 80GB in raid 0. Been using this since mid '09 and SSD is the 2nd best investment to PC beside quality LCD.

2. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    im not using a ssd, and i dont really plan to until the prices come down and the storage goes up, to the point where i can have my os, apps, and games on a ssd without paying massive ammounts of money for enough storage.
    i just cant see paying $150-300 just so i can get faster boot times. if i cant store everything that needs to "load" to take advantage of the increased speeds than whats the point?

3. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    I have 2 super talent 32gb drives, but due to a raid limitation on the P6TD V2 I cannot put them in raid.
    I use them as game swap space, if I get a new game I know i will be playing a lot I install it to the ssd.
    32gb is not enough to install Windows 7 on...

4. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    1 X25-M 160GB in my desktop.
    1 X25-M 80GB in a laptop.

5. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    At the expense of sounding stupid, what are the benefits of SSD's besides OS load times ? I'm assuming unless a game is loaded onto the SSD it will boot at the same speed as it did before ?
    Maybe a list of benefits. Then I will know whether to upgrade. Slower load times don't really bother me. BFBC2 for an example really doesn't take long at all with my Caviar HD.

6. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    You are correct, unless the game files are on the SSD the gains are nearly nonexistent in gaming (OS stuff related to games is quicker nonetheless, but that's a tiny effect at best). If you place the games on the SSD, though, everything loads incredibly quickly on loading screens and there is less slowdowns when new areas/textures are loaded in dynamically.

7. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    Yup its all about load times, if you don't care how fast the ssd dies you can use it as a scratch disk in photoshop and other programs.

8. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    SSD are more stable also. Less of a chance of them going bad as there are no moving parts.

9. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    correct me if i', wrong, but it would then seem to me that:
    SSD=less failure rate + less life

while

HDD=higher failure rate + longer life

right?

10. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    I think thats a fair statement,
    short life + stability vs long live + instability

11. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    the failure rates on hdd's arent that high though - it's more than worth using them. the current high cost of ssd's and the relatively low storage of them really off-set/negate the benefits of the stability. until ssd prices go down and their storage goes up, i'll stick with this:

EDIT 1: it seems to me that the only reason to really use an ssd(currently, and in the "home" market) is to grow you're e-peen.

EDIT 2: do i want an ssd? hell yeah. i want a bigger e-peen, damnit. but currently i am unwilling to pay the high price with the only benefit being fast boot times. hopefully by the time i build a new rig ssd prices will have come down and storage will have gone up.

12. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    I take it you have never lost data that cannot be recreated. I have only owned maybe 12 harddrives in my life, I have had at least 4 fail.
    Also I payed $60 (total used) for my 2x32gb ssds. I don't think having an ssd gives you 'e-peen' these days. Having a 250gb one right now might. Get with the times :p .

13. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    actually, i have. i got over it.

i have no problem getting with the times, im just not willing to pay an arm and a leg when its not worth that arm and leg

14. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    I'm not talking about vacation photographs. I am talking about expensive data, metallurgical results from stress tests. Things that cost money to retest when the report was only on one drive because all the data was not yet collected.

My point is $30 is not an arm and a leg, its not 200Gb either but you can't have it all, at least not right way.

15. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    but now you're referring to an enterprise environment, where as i made it clear i was talking about a home environment.

16. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah so it doesnt last 10 years...it only last 8? Big deal.

17. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    Far enough its not a normal situation.
    Still I don't think having an ssd is epeen these days. You can pick one up for less than $100 at Best Buy and they are trying to screw you.

18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I picked up mine for about 200 and that was a WHILE ago. Its a 120gb Pro. I mean its not about e-peen but stability.

19. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    If its in a laptop I can believe its for stability, I have had 2 laptop drives fail from falling while spinning. (and then 3 other drives fair in desktops for who knows why.) For a desktop...the drive is going to be plagued with degradation issues long before a hardrive will fail. Check this thread and it will guesstimate when your ssd will start to fail based on read/writes.

20. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    do you have any data on that? have mainstream ssd's even been available for 8 years? we all have countless stories of hdd's lasting "forever" but i've never seen anything about how long ssd's will/are supposed to last.

still have the same problem of low size though. 120GB for instance, you can fit your os and a few games. big whoop. talk to me again when 500GB and 1TB ssd's hit the market with decent speeds(decent ssd speeds) and in the $200-300 price range(especially a 1TB)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227514
    thats the cheapest 480-512GB ssd on the egg thats available. and there in lies my point.

21. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    No, everyone gets your point that you want it all, size, speed, and you want it all for the cost of a meal at a nice restraint. It's just not going to happen. Not for a long long time. What I am saying is you can still use a smaller drive as a swap disk to play your games on. Load times are still amazing.
    Until a long long time though, enjoy posting about how you don't want what is available now and how everyone who will work with whats available now is showing off.

theoneandonlymrk and TheMailMan78 say thanks.
  22. KieX

Thanks Received:
    I'm still using my X25-E after around 2 years. 5.5TB worth of writes in that time and it's still every bit as fast as when I bought it. SLC is awesome just hope the prices come down sometimes soon. e-retailers are still selling these at the same price :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

23. polosistealth

polosistealth

Thanks Received:
    i'm poor, i live in Romania :( maybe someday i'll buy a SSD

24. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    MY first SSD just arrived in the mail. OCZ Vertex II 60GB. Bought it more out of necessity, since the HDD my OS is on now starts acting up. And since the prices are somewhat acceptable nowadays I thought why not.

25. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    Just ordered OCZ Vertex 2, 2.5" 120GB version.

Hope deserve the money...