1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Arma 2 Arrowhead Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by AsRock, Jun 29, 2010.

1. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    The new expansion to Arma 2 is to bring more updates and mainly thermal. Although this expansion with include the original Arma 2 so you will not be required to buy that as well.

Other added stuff are weapons\Vehicles and Factions and more.

Due to be released in 15 hours ( June 29th )

More details here

Main Features

* New SP and MP campaign & scenarios
    * 3 new large scale maps of Central Asian setting.
    * Dozens of new vehicles and weapons
    * Thermal imaging and new weapons optics
    * Controllable Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV)
    * Deployable backpacks for equipment
    * Extensive multiplayer: join in the massive multiplayer battles with up to 50 players!

http://www.arma2.com/a2oa-video-update-night-ops_en.html

Fan Site
    www.Armaholic.com

Were to download
    Steam
    http://store.steampowered.com/video/33930/5728

Sprocket
    http://www.sprocketidea.com/joomla/...&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

Other places here
    http://www.arma2.com/distribution_en.html#a2oa
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
    Kursah says thanks.
  2. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    arma series seems not popular in TPU. After a search I found no arma clubhouse.
    So just a bump up to tell you some of us do play it.
    I have spend wonderful hours, days and weeks with Bohemia. Of course after 10? years and the engine showing the same limitations sometimes you scream the F word!!! lol
    If we could have a game with the Arma world and the, lets say, BC2 software quality.

But still, everytime I see an idiotic parachute-from-roof in BC2 I thank the gods for ARMA. hahaha
  3. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    But BC2 might have the graphics but in no way has the Multiplayer Coop and gameplay. People have to think a totally different way for arma than they do in newer games as in arma you have to think much more and there is a much higher learning curve for it.

Another issue is what you say the age as it's built up from the VBS1 engine. But a lot don't give it a chance hence the learning curve required and i bet some feel lost due to how much you can do.

BC2 or alike to me is just running around shooting at people or being a sniper.

Everyone to there own as the community for the game is pretty dam big and there is allways people making coop missions for it which now is easier than before.

There is a British addon coming out on thwe 26th of this month too.
  4. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    I still have to learn MP, because its all modded maps and rules....
  5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Ya know I would really love to get into that game but the fact my rig cannot max it out makes me not want to play it. That and honestly its a little to hard for me. BC2 is a nice mix of tactical and runnin' gun. CoD is just pointless and ARMA is way to "realistic" to the point its not fun IMO.
  6. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty sure no one can max it out because you can always add more shit. If I create a scenario with 300 some planes and a couple hundred AA guns it does get a little choppy (actually it gets incredibly choppy). The fact that Arma 2 can bend any computer to its knees make me love it even more.

The original BF2 and Arma 2 have the same problem, which is they thoroughly terrify novice gamers and rightfully so. The learning curve for both games (and doubly so Arma 2) is incredibly steep. I'd liken the skill required to that of classic top down shooter games.

I'm obsessed with top down shooter games and, consequently, I'm incredibly good at BF2 though I'm still learning Arma 2. War is hell, but videogames are hella fun!
  7. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    BF2 was easy to learn. ARAM 2 is damn near impossible.

In math terms.

ARMA2=Calculus
    BF2=Long Division
    BC2=Multiplication
    CoD2=Finger painting
    IggSter, Mussels and streetfighter 2 say thanks.
  8. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's a good analogy. :toast:

Long division may be easy for you but I know a lot of people who don't even know what long division is. This is probably why MW2 attracts such a large audience.
  9. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    long division is when you cut the meat into long strips for stir fry, jaaaaa?
  10. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    hey, a patch is out today!!!! some 1.54 or the like... including BRITS aka TOMMIES :)

Really noticeable changes. To fly helos is a blast! new artillery computer etc... etc...
    keling and KingPing say thanks.
  11. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    I love flying the blackhawk on ARMA 2, It's actually easier than trying to fly the same chopper in BC2.
  12. keling New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was too play busy playing with around with Armory and mods that I actually forgot to check for updates.

I just can't get enough of this game. It's the only game that made me shiver in fear every time I hear a shot crack open from far away. Even my in game screen character reacted appropriately whenever a bullet slammed on the ground next to him.

It's a pity such a great game doesn't get the attention it deserves.

About the patches that Bohemia gives away - they are always full of surprises. One patch for Arma 2 has an extra campaign in it. The Arrowhead expansion has a patch for Arma 2. And in the recent 1.54 patch, you get a preview of what their new DLC have to offer.

Helos in Arma are great to play with although I do find them a bit too sensitive when landing. At least you don't get warned of going outside of the battlefield and inexplicably killed for not complying in 10 seconds.
  13. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I don't know who picked up Arma 2: Combined Operations for $22.49 this weekend, but I did and I'm loving this title! I always stayed away because I kept reading about the learning curve and a love it or hate it kind of title. But I did enjoy Operation Flashpoint years ago...I finally caved in. The last couple days has been a blast learning this title, my friends on TBM have loaded the game up also and we're all learning together which makes for a good time.

I will say I'm looking forward to mastering this simulation while I take a break from Bad Company 2, CoD 4 and Black Oops. I love my action shooters for sure, but I'm just hooked on the sim fps. Sorry to dig up an old thread, but with a solid OP and the sale that hit this weekend...I figured I'd just post here. Anyone else pick it up while it was on sale?

:toast:
  14. IggSter

IggSter

Thanks Received:
    Another Arma 2 addict here!

If you have not seen the mod manager - six updater - its well worth an install.

Mods I love:

A.C.E.2 - Advanced Combat Environment - full coversion realism mod...new skins, sounds, weapons armies etc.

A.C.R.E. - Advanced combat radio environment - realistic in game comms with Vent integration.

SIX - Missions

WarFXParticles - Effects

With Six Updater you can specify which mods you want to load and will list servers that are compatible - or - if you see a server you want to play on , it will grab the mods you need.

In addition, another game you should try if you like Arma 2 is Project reality - a full conversion mod for BattleField 2 (yes the 2005 game).

This mod in some ways is better that Arma 2 although the graphics can look a little dated.
    The same guys that wrote Project Reality are currently working on a version for Arma 2 - I really cant wait to see that!
    Kursah says thanks.
  15. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I've tried PR on BF2, it was definitely awesome. I am eagerly awaiting to see what DICE does with the Frostbite 2.0 engine and Battlefield 3. I really did enjoy many aspects of BC2, and I loved BF2 back in the day. I still have the BF2 Complete edition loaded on EA Downloader...just not installed atm.

I'll check the mod manager and those mods for sure! I'm still learning the game at this point and gaining confidence along with having fun. I definitely look forward to PR on Arma 2...saaweeeet!

Thanks again!

Edit...looked into it...and holy shit! I will be trying this mod out! Link: http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f380-project-reality-news/77777-project-reality-arma2.html
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
    IggSter says thanks.