1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Arma II & Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising

Discussion in 'Games' started by Meizuman, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Meizuman

Meizuman

Thanks Received:
    Arma II site and video
    http://www.arma2.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNV8UbzA9UM

OPF 2 site and video
    http://www.flashpoint2-game.com
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnaNejQ7Qlo

I just searched some news about Arma II and when I watched the official video from Youtube, I found a video that had a name of Operation Flashpoint 2. I thought someone didn't know the real name or that it was some old video... When I watched it, I was thinking that it was Arma II (because someone said "this is Razor" on the radio 0:53) but in the end when the logo and codemasters came up, I was like WTF??

I didn't even know that Codemasters were making a new Flashpoint...

From first impression, looks like the Dragon Rising will be more violent and bloodier + darker.

I would appreciate if someone knows more about these two, especially this OPF 2. Like if they use the same engine... I highly doubt that, but don't Codemasters have some rights for Bohemia's technology also? At least all the rights for the Flashpoint name and characters(?)
    ShadowFold and DrPepper say thanks.
  2. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Sweeeeeeeeeeet OPF looks amazing.
  3. Meizuman

Meizuman

Thanks Received:
    Hopefully the in-game screenies will look as good as the video of OFP 2. Can't say too much before they'll get screenshots...

Any idea if this is DX10(.1)?

From the vids, it looks like both of them are including highly improved... umm. interior? inside? Anyway, what I mean is when you go to some building, it feels like a building, not a buggy small doghouse (pretty much what I think about both OFP and Arma) where u cant move without something getting on your way or you get stuck on some object and the whole building feels so small that you should be a dwarf in order to move in there. CQB, Close Quarter Battle... it would add some "value".
  4. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    I doubt the game will look like that since its a teaser trailer, I hope it is a blend of bf2 warfare with cod4 smoothness and arma epicness though.
  5. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    OFP2 should come out in July. :)
  6. Meizuman

Meizuman

Thanks Received:
    Not many are interested?
  7. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm interested in operation flashpoint but I didn't think arma was all that great.
  8. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I just want Battlefield 3.
  9. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Check this site out it's all about Arma \ Arma 2.
    http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=1927

I can under stand why you made the title Arma2 and OFP 2 BUT their not the same game engine it's just Codemasters taking advantage of the Operation Flashpoint title as that is all they own of the original title.

BIS pulled out from Codemasters years ago as they were not happy.

All though i know i'll enjoy Arma 2 as much as i did with Arma and OFP And their doing some nice tweaks to it like updated shader model and use of multicore systems.

As for Cosemasters OFP2 there is not much on it even the video's do not so all that much, however i do look forward in playing the both if the reviews and such are upto making me happy. I know what i be getting in Arma 2 as foe OFP2 i will wait..

I'll buy Arma 2 as soon as it comes out and is suppossed to be out within the Q1 this year.
  10. HolyCow02

HolyCow02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    +1... I've never played ArmAII and didn't like Operation Flashpoint when I played it briefly.
  11. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well OFP is basically Arma just updated the game engine some more just like Arma 2 is. So you MIGHT not like any of them.

What did you not like about it ? if you don't mind me asking as all 3 of them have a massive learing curve as it's the VBS engine which is used by armys around the world all though they have VBS2 which will set you back around $1200 which is protected by a USB device.

OFP \ Arma ( Combat Operations ( Atari changed the name ) \Arma 2 all run VBS1 and all have great community. Only thing i don't like about this game is tournaments are not fully possible as missions are downloaded by the other party and cheating would be possible.
  12. raptori

raptori

Thanks Received:
    any one notice a frame skipping in arma2 movie on the home page ( i mean while they're playing there seems to be a frame skipping)) .... it's a huge disappointment if they couldn't handle their own game unless I'm the only one who see it .... and any one hear about arma2 system requirement .... arma was a very good game and hope arma2 will not suffer from bad optimization.
  13. HolyCow02

HolyCow02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I really just didn't like the play style. I'm not really sure I can explain it. I mean I like BF2142, but OPF just wasn't fun. :wtf:
  14. chris89 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Knowing me i will end up getting both. i know my X52 Pro Hotas system worked fine with ARMA 1 so looking forward to flying the new 'craft.
  15. Meizuman

Meizuman

Thanks Received:
    Have you seen the first videos of Arma I? That's what I call frame skipping... I think when it was under development it was so heavy (or unoptimized?) that their own rigs couldn't fully handle it. And yes, Arma has had these problems. But not in gameplay but in the cutscenes. For example when you launch Arma and there is this video on the background, it skips quite a lot.
  16. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    Whats the difference between the x52 pro and normal ? I've got the normal one and they look the same. Sorry for OT
  17. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I got some new screens..... You're welcome! :laugh:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Meizuman and AsRock say thanks.
  18. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Oops,

Cheers for the pics, And cannot wait to use TIR in those planes.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2009