1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ars Technica Tackles ACTA Concerns

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by xenocide, Jan 31, 2012.

1. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    Source: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/01/internet-awash-in-inaccurate-anti-acta-arguments.ars

Very informative considering people were comparing ACTA to SOPA\PIPa and saying it was infinitely worse. Ars Technica's assessment says (somewhat) otherwise. It is definitely still a bad agreement, but not for the reasons you'd think.

2. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    All these things are bad. Piracy is a natural part of the multimedia ecosystem. As much as it sounds bad, it's actually a fuel for consumers. Without piracy i would probably buy like 5-10 games in the last 15 years. Instead, because of piracy i have tried loads of games and later also bought loads of them as well. I now have like 50 retail boxed versions and like 200 of them on Steam and GoG. Some of them are indie stuff but most of them are high profile stuff like Deus Ex Human Revolution, Deus Ex, Need for Speed series, C&C series, Rage, Unreal Tournament, Quake series etc.

3. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Here's the ACTA treaty for anyone who wants to read it: http://www.international.gc.ca/trad...ciaux/assets/pdfs/acta-crc_apr15-2011_eng.pdf

I'm a bit confused myself.

We're getting a lot of different views on this in my country. Well, we have 2 political parties in parliament and they're notorious to agree to disagree: whenever someone is in favor of something, the other party votes against and vice versa.

So in the current situation our government is in favor of ACTA, and the party in opposition is against it. So far, I haven't heard of one argument in favor of ACTA on these forums, or anywhere on the net for that matter.

Which is confusing me all the more. Is our government talking bollocks when they say:

The pro-ACTA people here say that the anti-ACTA ones took their stance only because they like to remain comfortable pirating other people's work for free. (If you're interested send me a pm and I'll link you to several of these arguments).

I'm confused as to whether this might possibly be true (I'm against piracy myself) or whether this is just another one of our trademark native tricks being that of one political party bad-mouthing the other.

:confused:

4. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    "In the US, ACTA was dubbed an "executive agreement" rather than a "treaty," which allowed negotiators to skip the ordinary Senate ratification process. If ACTA becomes a binding part of international law, it will create a precedent for future treaties that avoid basic principles of transparency and democratic accountability."

"If Congress ever decides that IP rights have swung too far in one direction, it can always rebalance them by changing the law, right? Not exactly. International agreements like ACTA bind the hands of legislators unless the US is willing to withdraw from them first."

Scary stuff... bye bye democracy