1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Artic Cooling MX-2

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by lemode, Nov 14, 2009.

1. lemode New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was wondering if any of you use/have used this thermal compound and if you notice or know for a fact that it lowers your cpu temp by (bare minimum) 5 degrees and that this compound doesn’t need to cure.

I have like 10 tubes of Artic Silver laying around as well as 3 tubes of Noctura’s compound and whatever has come with my stock Intel coolers. Should I just stick to artic silver or should I give MX-2 a try?

2. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm fairly certain the MX-2 beats anything else right off the bat, but it's so think and difficult to apply that I'd just stick with the AS.

3. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Give it a shot, a lot of people here use it and would recommend it. If you've got money look for some MX-3, it's supposedly better by 1-2 degrees.

4. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    I dont notice much dif between MX-2, MX-3, AS 5 or Ceramique.. I would use what you have laying around.

5. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I say use up what you have, I used to go for the best TIM hype...now I use what I have...which is still MX-2, got a good deal on a couple tubes. Can't complain, I've used many different brands and types, they get the job done with my OC'd rig and it's cooling, no complaints from me on any that I've used in all honesty.

6. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Don't buy any MX-2 if you already have other thermal paste, I tested out MX-2, OCZ FreeZe, and AS5 on my friend's computer, the MX-2 was about 1C cooler than the FreeZe, which was 2C cooler than the AS5. The MX-2 was also much harder to spread than the already-thick FreeZe and the AS5

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. lemode New Member

Thanks Received:
    i've heard that. i guess i will just stick with what i know.

*edit* i actually liked the OCZ FreeZe more than AS maybe i will just pick that up and give some of my stash to co-workers.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  8. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I never spread my paste anymore, I put a dot in the middle and let my heatsink do the job. It's worked fine on various occasions.

WarEagleAU says thanks.
  9. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
  10. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    ^ Experienced and agree.

I like MX-2 as it's non-conductive and does a great job, but it will turn into a thick paste if you try to spread it. I do a dab or line of it and let it spread itself from the heatsink pressure.

WarEagleAU says thanks.
  11. zyklon New Member

Thanks Received:
    ye it works better like that for me with the mx2, arctic recommends that method too. i highly recommend this thermal paste! ;)

12. lemode New Member

Thanks Received:
    I’ve never spread paste around on any CPU I’ve ever owned. The way I learned back in 97 was just to put a little bit in the middle of the processor and let the heat sink spread it out. So that’s how I’ve always done it.

13. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    I agree with MK here. I have tried MX-2 and now went back to AS-5, reason computer using MX-2 over a period of one year slowly raises in temps, where as AS-5 maintains the temps respective of the season and especially in Winter it runs the coolest :D

Just my observation.

:toast:

MKmods says thanks.
  14. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Not sure what you and MK are doing wrong Suraswami, but I have yet to have that happen with me on any of the MX-2 Ive used. It used to be the best. Now you have Gelid, Diamond, MX-3, etc. I personally use diamond and that stuff is thick. So thick you need to set it in warm water for a few minutes to make it pliable. Best stuff I used though. I don't like AS5 for its electrical conductivity, but it was good stuff in its time. However, if you have 20 tubes of grease stick with that.

15. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    I would never complain about MX-2 (I really like it and use it and MX-3 depending on which one I grab from my shelf)

My post/advice was use whatever you got. (the premium TIMs are all really close)