1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Artifact size... how big is it a problem?

Discussion in 'ATITool' started by The Bozz, Jul 23, 2007.

1. The Bozz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello, I'm using ATITool to overclock a GeForce 7900 GT graphics card.

The stock speeds of that GPU are 450 core / 660 memory. By using the max core/mem tests I supposedly found a maximum of 543/858 MHz at about 65º C. In the beginning I aimed for zero artifacts for at least 45 minutes, then lower that maximum by a couple of MHz just to be sure there'd be no problem.

To finish, I started the "scan for artifacts" test with the clocks set at 540/850, aiming again for 40 minutes artifact-less. After a couple of seconds I started getting artifacts, so I stopped the test and lowered a bit the clocks. Some time later I get artifacts again, I lower the clocks. Then again, and the same for a while, all the time at 63ºC at most.

I checked the log and it says that the artifact found are mostly of 2 pixels and once of 4 pixels. According to the Wiki, 1 pixel artifacts are mostly due to driver optimizations, but what about these ones? Should I keep lowering the clocks until there's no artifacts or could I ignore these ones safely?
  2. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    I prefer to get zero artifacts, because they do mean problems in general. I can have my 7900 GT run at 600 MHz core/800 MHz memory with no problems. Keep tweaking!!
    The Bozz says thanks.
  3. The Bozz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the answer, pbmaster! I actually seem to have found a rather stable clock at 540/810 at 64º C, it's been running the artifact test for almost an hour without problems. I'm thinking 'bout getting myself a third party heatsink (I'm tempted by a Zalman vf900-cu) to see if it helps pushing it a bit further.

By the way, what is the minimum time I should run the tests? I settled for 1 hour first, but I'm not sure now.
  4. The Bozz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, now this is odd. If you read my first post, the first clocks I tried were 540/850, and they failed after a couple of seconds.

I've been running the artifacts test for about half an hour without problem. What gives? Why does it work now but it didn't earlier?
  5. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i would check your temps then and now.
  6. The Bozz New Member

Thanks Received:
    64º C right now. Right then it should have been a bit lower because of the pause I took to save the profile and start the test.

Almost an hour passed and no artifacts yet. Well, who am I to complain anyway? But I'm still getting that Zalman tomorrow.