1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Artifacts, could psu be cause?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by ocnoobert, May 20, 2006.

1. ocnoobert New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im having a problem with many artifacts occuring while running a scan on ATItool. Based on the temp readings i am getting (35-55C) i do not believe it is heat related. My question is whether an inadequate psu would cause the same problems or no for i know i am running 2 cd/dvd drives, 2 Hds, 5 fans, and my gpu is a radeon x850xtpe and it would seem that this would require a high wattage, i just wanted to make sure that a better psu would possibly fix this problem b4 i go dropping $100 and not getting any improvement.

Edit: i am not sure, but i think my psu may be as low as 350watt (crappy)
  2. W2hCYK New Member

Thanks Received:
    unplug as much stuff as possible, but enough to run the computer, see if the artifacts go away
  3. ocnoobert New Member

Thanks Received:
    good idea, thanks i will try that, just one noob question, will unplugging my cd/dvd drives cause an error if i disconnect power to them or should the cpu boot up normally?
  4. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    it shouldent but u can leave one in and unplug a crap loads of fans then leave the side of your computer open to it dosent over heat
  5. prometheus81

prometheus81 New Member

Thanks Received:
    just dont unplug the fan to your video card and cpu cooler heheh :laugh:
  6. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    850xt cards require a MINIMUM of a 350W PSU and more if the PSU is of poor quality. Once you start overclocking the card that increases dramatically, if you add to that a couple of hard drives, a couple of opticals, maybe a sound card and a load of case fans you really need more, if on top of that you overclock your CPU we are talking fairly serious and stable power requirements in the region of 450W +.

I have a decent quality 400W and TBH its starting to struggle, the PSU can be the limiter on such things as overclocks both to CPU abd graphics cards, I am shortly to upgrade, probably to the Hyper 580W Type R and that may even mean better overclocks also as well as a more stable system.
  7. ocnoobert New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok now i am pretty sure i will need a better psu, but let me just clarify, this lack of power could definitily be what is causing the artifacts correct? I just wanna make sure that this may be what is causing the artifacts and not another problem. (Like i said b4 i dont think it is heat related for i am getting low temp readings as the artifacts appear)
  8. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    you need to cool your vregs which are found at the rear of the Video Card. You need to put either 80mm or 92mm fan on them and let them keep the vregs cool.
  9. rpg711

rpg711 New Member

Thanks Received:
    wont work... cases were made so it creates a vacuum and air will flow in and out... if you take all but one output fan and leave cover on... no explosions with happen:laugh: