1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Artifacts in Games

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by sreading, Oct 4, 2007.

1. sreading New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi

I have a ATI Radeon X1950 Pro card. Ever since I bought it (9 months ago), I get loads and loads of artifacts in all games that I play. I can usually only play a game for a few minutes before the artfacts appear and then the PC finally crashes. This is the same on Vista as well as XP Pro SP2.

So I decided to take some snapshots of the games when the artifacts appeared. But when looking back at them, none of them had any artifacts showing.

Does anyone know why this would be?

Thanks in advance

Scott
  2. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:

Are you doing screenshots or are you actually using a camera?
    Check to see if all your fans are spinning, even the one on your 1950.
    What are the temps like on the card,..can you use a temp monitor?
    sreading says thanks.
  3. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Clean the possible dust build up inside the heatsink near the fan too.

Clean other places to all vents on the system to there's probaly a load of build up of dust int he front of the case as well.

You could use a can of compressed air from your local game store unless you know a cheaper place. I use a compresser for the shortest time possible.

Remember to turn the whole computer off if not switch on the PSU unplug it.

As for having artifacts and not seeing them in a screeny is kinda odd. easy way to get a screenshot would be to hit printscreen when you see these articacts and close game and run MS Paint and paste and save it as a JPG.
    sreading says thanks.
  4. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    i thing you have a thermal problem clock a little lower or if you haven't overclock see if there is any dust or fan problem

p.s. or clean you glasses or go to see a ophthalmologist :) <--- just kidding
    sreading says thanks.
  5. Urbklr

Urbklr

Thanks Received:
    It could be heat..or a underpowered PSU(i think) My old card did the same thing(it was x1950pro) I had it on my 420W and it did the same thing...what is your psu??
    sreading says thanks.
  6. sreading New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks very much for the quick replys.

SK-1 - I am doing screenshots with a program called Fraps. I have 3 fans in the case as well as the

one on the graphics card and they are all running fine.The temperature on the card is usually around

45C when in Vista. When I go into a game, it goes up to no more than about 65C.

AsRock - The PC is relatively dust free. And there isnt any build up of dust in the fan of the

graphics card. I did a printscreen like you said, and sure enough, the artifacts showed up. Attached

is the picture.

von Kain - It has never been overclocked. I have tried lowering the core speed down quite a lot, but

no difference.

Urbklr911 - The PSU I am using is a Hiper 580W Type-M Black.

Attached Files:

7. driver66

driver66 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That looks to be a game or driver issue:eek: What driver version are you using?
    sreading says thanks.
  8. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:

That looks like tearing big time. I would do a visual inspection to see if the heatsink is making good contact to the ram chips.
    Try another power lead from your PSU to your 1950.
    This may need to be RMA'd.:(
    sreading says thanks.
  9. sreading New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am using the latest Catalyst drivers, 7.9. The screenshot you see is happening in all the games that I try. I have RMA'd this card before as it is still under guarantee. They reckon that they tested it on several games and they all ran fine. I have installed this card under Xp as well as another PC, and still the same graphical glitches. I think they were fobbing me off.

As for the heatsink making contact with the Ram chips, I will try asap and let you know how I get on.

Once again, thanks for the replys
  10. sreading New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have checked the heatsink and it seems ok. Reseated the power cables to the motherboard and gpu and still the same
  11. Flamingsupernova

Flamingsupernova New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you're overclocking, drop it back down, even underclock, see what happens. sounds like a heat issue though, has happened to me a few times.
  12. sreading New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I tried underclocking from 600 Core speed down to below 500 and still the same.
  13. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
  14. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    You tryed resitting the v card make sure there's no dust in the slot for the v card ?..
  15. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    I think the GPU's memory has shat itself due to overheating.
    Could try another driver too.
    I recommend 7.6.
    What brand is it?

What bus type is this card AGP or PCI-E?

Enter your system specs in the User CP.
  16. joinmeindeath417

joinmeindeath417 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If they said they tested it and it works on other games ...uh show them those screen shots and throw the card at there face and say "give me a new card this is shot"

smile and wait...and walk out happy

customers are ALWAYS right...remember that
  17. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    yes, 7.6's seem to work best for the 1950pro's...
  18. sreading New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi Everyone

I would like to take this opportunity to thank each and everyone of you for all the comments of help. Even though I have tried them all, unfortunately, my card is still knackered. I will be pursuing a replacement a bit more aggressively this time from the supplier.

Once again, many thanks

Scott
  19. =TFM=Melvin New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a similar problem with the X1950 Pro but only when in Crossfire mode. I've posted elsewhere: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?p=494881#post494881

Here is the situation:
    My PC specs are linked on the left of the message. My PC system uses only qualified equipment from ATI's Crossfire Certified component lists. My PC BIOS, Operating System, and motherboard all have the latest updates. I have two LCD monitors hooked up to one of the X1950 Pro for non-Crossfire work. I have selected all defaults in CCC, (including Catalyst AI at Standard). Resolution is set to 1280x1024, 32-bit. When I switch to Crossfire mode, I just check the Enable Crossfire box, click YES to the pop-up notice and then click Apply and then OK.

When I start Half Life 2, it crashes to desktop during startup. After I reboot, games will start but they all have horrible screen tearing; this includes, but is not limited to, Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2 and Day of Defeat: Source. There is also a problem with Battlefield 2 and others, but I'm getting the idea that it's not game related and I just need help with my setup. Could someone help?
  20. =TFM=Melvin New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I have a workaround for my problem with Crossfire on two X1950pro. Just fallback to Catalyst 7.9, (the current version is 7.10), and my problem with Crossfire goes away. I guess they broke something going to version 7.10. Maybe it will show up on the next Release Notes since I filed a report with ATI Catalyst Crew Feedback. (I won't hold my breath.)

ATI support was very helpful in my case. If you haven't already, sign-up at http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894 and then file a ticket for support.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
    Random Murderer says thanks.
  21. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    just another reason for me not to go to the 7.10's. thanks for the heads up.
  22. =TFM=Melvin New Member

Thanks Received:
    BTW, at that other thread I posted with people with Crossfire problems with a X1950pro, one of the guys said he discovered his problem was that neither of the two boards he had (one Sapphire and one HIS) had the Crossfire chip installed!!! That's really weird. Let the buyer beware, I guess.
  23. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I suggest you download ATI Tool and run "Scan for artifacts" then report to us the temperatures of the graphics card. Is it only dying in one game? This might suggest something about the driver set you are using.

Anyway, please give us more specs of your computer, its sorta impossible to diagnose the problem if we don't know what your PC's specs are. CPU, PSU, etc. PCI-E? or AGP?