1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Aspire One AOA150, wireless dropping with Win7

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by RejZoR, Jan 4, 2010.

1. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Is there anyone with ACER Aspire One AOA150 and Windows 7 installed and doesn't have problems with WLAN falling down? Or you guys managed to fix it?

The thing is that with factory WinXP, everything works fine. After i've installed Win7, everything worked fine. And it still does. Except wireless which just goes dead randomly when under moderate load, be it eMule, uTorrent or just regular browsing.
    I have to disconnect and reconnect again manually, otherwise it just wouldn't reconnect right.
    I've also used Windows Update to update Atheros drivers and no difference.
    I don't understand why this is happening. Although i've noticed that signal is significantly better under Win7 than it is under WinXP. Could this be the reason why wireless is failing?
    It's driving me nuts. I love Win7 and it works great but netbook without wireless is just an useless brick.

2. marriedgeek New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just upgraded my aoa150 to windows 7 and have the same exact problem. Have you found a fix? Thanks.

3. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    Go to Wireless Network Properties.
    Check "connect automatically when this network is in range" and "connect even if the network is not broadcasting its name" and make sure "connect to a more preffered network if available" is unchecked

4. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    This issue is still not resolved. Anyone got any idea how to overcome this problem?

Strange thing is that signal strength is significantly higher with Win7 than it is with WinXP.
    Is it possible that wireless module is overheating and then just fails because of that? Or is there something else that could cause wireless connection to drop randomly?

5. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Wireless module is provided by Atheros, model AR5BXB63. I've also ried few drivers, some from Windows Update and some found "by hand" and they all had the same problem.
    Brilliant recpetion (far better than with XP), but it was just randomly dropping connection.

6. twilyth Guest

The gf has an Acer Aspire AS5732Z-4598 and I had a similar problem. It kept giving me an error saying that the ip address was invalid or something like that. However when I tested on the same ethernet line with the desktop in that room, I got the same error.

I RMA'ed anyway and I think all they did was update some drivers - although I can pull the invoice they sent back with the machine to see exactly what they did if you want.

This was especially bizarre behavior because the lappy and desktop were on the very same switch as 2 other computers which did NOT have the problem. I couldn't figure it out.

Between the time I did the RMA and got the lappy back, I upgraded to a Buffalo Airstation router. Once I did that, there were no problems any more with the desktop. Still don't know why that made a difference.

The only think I can think of is some issue with IPv6 addresses. But that's just a wild-ass guess.

edit: i even tried using a wireless adapter on both the lappy and desktop with the same results, so i know the router was at least partly to blame.

7. I see SPY!

I see SPY! New Member

Thanks Received:
    I also used to have a problematic wireless connection (using a Linksys usb adapter) and there were 2 programs that solved my problem, on VISTA:
    -Vista Anti-Lag;
    -WLAN Optimizer. This one also works for Win7.

Try WLAN Optimizer. No install needed. maybe it'll help!

8. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Try setting the wireless adapter settings in the windows power plan options to maximum performance.
    Next, goto device manager and find the Antheros wifi adapter. Find advanced settings set power options to let the card run at max performance and/or disable (turn-off) power save mode.
    :)

9. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Hmm unfortunately I do not have much experience with Win 7 on Netbooks but it either has to be power saving functionality essentially messing up or a wonky driver. You have established it's not the hardware itself.

Try Viper's suggestion next definitely...

10. laszlo

laszlo

Thanks Received:
    check the adapter settings;try to switch to 100 Mbps Full Duplex

you find it:

Control Panel --> Network and Sharing Center --> Change Adapter Settings --> right click the conection and select properties --> select Configure button --> goto Advanced tab --> look for Link Speed and Duplex --> change Auto Negotiate to 100 Mbps Full Duplex.

if already was on this setting try others from there

11. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    i got the err on atheros too. but so far the worse scenario is uninstall the driver remove all the registry that connected to atheros then install the driver again
    i dunno there any bug or something some of my friends laptops have the same problem or it just said no connectivity although it connected

12. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
  13. ITGuru New Member

Thanks Received:
    Windows 7 Ultimate Fix for Acer Aspire One AOA150

Bringing to life this thread one last time for a simpler fix...

I just got one of these little netbooks and installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit and had this issue. I went to Acers website support.acer.com then downloaded and installed the Windows xp driver which works on windows 7 as does the driver for the card readers. After this reboot the net book and right click the wireless icon in the TSR (Task tray)... When the menu pops up select troubleshoot and WINDOWS 7 will automatically fix the configuration of the network adapter and the issue went away completely for me.

Windows 7 can fix the issue if given the chance. This has only been tested in Ultimate and not in any other version of Windows 7.

14. steve.ph New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have the same problem.. But now the problem is Fixed :)
    Solution
    Buy usb external wireless signal... 100% Fix Solution with no worries :)

best regards steve
    email me at tripmachine@ymail.com