1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asrock 990fx Extreme 9 Raid 0 support

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by riddlerbir, Jul 19, 2014.

1. riddlerbir

Thanks Received:
    I am building a new rig and trying to RAID 0 my two 120gb SSD's. I have a Asrock 990fx extreme 9. I have raid enabled in bios. When I try to install windows 8.1 on them it says they are not formatted. Windows installer does seem them as One drive of 221.8 GB. When I hit CTRL + F during boot and get the old school dos menu for raid. It has them as two separate drives. In that mode there is no options to change them or choose anything about RAID 0. I tried putting my old drive with windows on it and try raiding them in windows and when i was tried to format in diskpart the system crashes and get the :( blue screen.
    What am I doing wrong? Is there something I am not setting up in bios?
    Any help will be well accepted.

2. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Read the mobo manual off asrock site. Look on google about running w8.1 in raid.

3. riddlerbir

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the help, but I did that already.

4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    First thing you want to do is make sure both drives are connected to the SATA ports running off the AMD chipset. On your motherboard the top two SATA ports are run off of a different controller, so you don't want to use those.

Second, of course, make sure the SATA mode is set to RAID in the BIOS.

Then during boot when you get to the screen that shows you your two drives and asks to press Ctrl+F2, press Ctrl+F2 to enter the LD(Logical Drive) menu(blue screen with 4 options).

In there you want to go to option 2. Depending on what version of the OptionRom your motherboard has, when you press option 2 it will either take you straight to the LD Define screen where you press enter to create a new LD or it will take you to another screen where you then have to press Ctrl+C to create a new LD. This will allow you to then define your LD, it will give you the option for RAID0.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    If you built the array wrong, you need to destroy it and re-create it in the RAID BIOS. From the sounds of it, RAID-0 was working unless you selected JBOD since I saw the aggregate size of the logical drive appears to be correct. You can't "add drives to raid" in Windows as you suggest. You need to do it from the RAID BIOS. If you did it in Windows, you probably made a software raid array on you RAID drives. Some operating systems will show the normal drives if the RAID controller wasn't installed correctly (Linux with my old nForce chipset would do this, as well as my X79 chipset now before dm-raid drivers are loaded.)

My suggestion would be to nuke it all, start from scratch, and follow newtekie's instructions.

In the Windows installer you should also load up AMD's RAID driver instead of assuming the OS has a good driver to use as well.

6. riddlerbir

Thanks Received:
    Thank You, I got it to work. It is crazy fast!