1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASRock and ASUS: Mythbust

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by btarunr, Aug 29, 2011.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    ASRock and ASUS are in no way related. Just saying.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
    Derek12, Mussels, brandonwh64 and 5 others say thanks.
  2. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    Ofcourse they are, Asus is the parent company of AsRock!
  3. SkullFox New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah thats right ASrock was created by asus to be a low cost option to clients (in the start you could find mobos with 2 types of ram or VGA + PCIe), but, it has gained so much hype that is now competing with asus.
  4. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    No, it isn't.
  5. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    btarunr is wrong, ASRock was a spin off of Asus and Asus is their parent company.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASRock

EDIT: Ugh, in my haste and early morning groginess I just completely overlooked the right side of the wiki. Turns out Asus is their parent company. God I need more sleep.
  6. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    Wikipedia is wrong. ASUStek was holding ASRock, but then ASUStek itself broke up to ASUStek and Pegatron. Pegatron allows its brand ASRock to engage in competition with ASUStek's motherboards in all segments (value-thru-enthusiast). That's why recently, you're seeing ASRock come up with motherboards competitive with ASUS in all consumer segments.

So no, I made my posts in present-tense, I am right, that Wikipedia article is obsolete.
    Ross211, LordJummy and mrw1986 say thanks.
  7. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    Haven't had a chance to reply because I'm at work, but I read that shortly after I posted my original post. Should have known better, but it was still early and I was le tired.
  8. SkullFox New Member

Thanks Received:
    hell, for some reason the two logos still have the same design...

anyway check it out:

"Asrock is a motherboard brand owned by the world's biggest motherboard maker Asustek Computer Inc, targeting entry-level products to avoid competition with its parent company.
    But, the five-year-old company said last week that it planned to shift its focus to middle-range and high-end products to boost profits as growth in the low-end area slows amid rising competition from Hon Hai Precision Industry Co and Elitegroup Computer Systems Co."
  9. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    That's outdated info. ASRock runs under Pegatron, which broke away from ASUStek.
  10. SkullFox New Member

Thanks Received:
    ASrock is a standalone company, but, it still is connected to Asus, thats what I meant.
    ASrock and Asus are part of a big group of companies - a Conglomerate (I think that's how they call it).

They share technologies and they have strategies to complement each other.
    heky says thanks.
  11. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    Exactly, even if Asrock is not owen by Asus anymore, they are still conected to Asus!!! I mean even the chairman of AsRock used to work for Asus(one of the co-founders). So please stop denying AsRock and Asus are connected.
  12. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    It is not connected one bit. It was, it is not now. Not one cent moves from one company to the other, not one blueprint changes hands between them.
  13. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    Pegatron is a Asus spin-off,

"Asus is spinning off its MoBo and Video Card operation Pegatron Technologies which will be complete in july 2010.

The Parent company ASUSTek will then dive head first into the preconfigured PCs and Laptops/Netbooks to compete against HP, Dell and others. The reason for that obviously is to continue to sell those hardware products to competitors for their products. ASRock is to fill the mainstream segment that the ASUS brand will leave open.

Which means that alot of ASUS boards will eventually have ASRock printed on them with new model numbers. Their other stuff like cases and non PC stuff will be handled by Unihan, the 2nd spinoff."
    Asus still outsources 30% of its motherboards to Pegatron.
  14. Altered

Altered

Thanks Received:
    All I know is what I read online and things I have read like below tell me different.

I feel quite confident btarunr is in the know more than me but from what I can tell these are 2 totally separate companies. :ohwell: I worked for a company that was spun off and if it is anything like what our company went through you can forget any financial handouts much less any thing else. The parent company usually spins you off (dumps you) to get rid of you. They are trying to refocus on what they want to be involved with not someone they kicked to the curb.
  15. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    Yes, but Asus still outsources 30% of its motherboards to Pegatron. So they are conected, that was the point being made. Not that they are the same company!
  16. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    Pegatron is an OEM and whitebox manufacturer like PC Partner, Pegatron makes motherboards for ASUS, among many other clients. That doesn't make ASRock and ASUS connected in any way.

PC Partner manufactures graphics cards for several AIB/AIC partners. That doesn't in any way make those AIBs "connected to" or "sister companies of" Sapphire or ZOTAC, which are brands owned by PC Partner.
    Ross211 says thanks.
  17. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    "Asustek has informed the Taiwanese Stock Exchange that it will completely spin off its motherboard and graphics card subsidiary, Pegatron, in July 2010. The split is driven by the parent company's desire to continue its competition against the likes of HP and Dell under the ASUS brandname, while still collecting ODM and motherboard orders from those same companies for its manufacturing business.

Ill stop discussing this with you now, its completely off-topic, and we will have to just agree to dissagree.

It was all made that way becouse of conflict of interest.
  18. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    Pegatron was an ASUS subsidiary. It is no more one, ASRock and ASUS are not (since 2010) related. That wasn't my original point in post #10, either. I spoke in present-tense.
    Chevalr1c and heky say thanks.
  19. SkullFox New Member

Thanks Received:
    what proof do you have of this...

Is it just me or did you just contradicted yourself in the same sentence...

why is it so difficult to accept that one company can have influence in another. they should have the same owners anyway. they divided the companies, but, the owners remain the same...

you have for example:
    Volkswagen, Audi, SEAT, Škoda, Lamborghini, Bentley Motors, Bugatti are all different companies but the owners are the same, they share factories and parts for their autos.

mATX are normally boards just like the big brothers, but, with less features... so, not the best in the universe.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
    heky says thanks.
  20. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    Finally someone who understands what i am trying to say!!!
  21. Altered

Altered

Thanks Received:
    Two companies can have the same owner but in this case I see no reference to this what so ever. I do see where I quoted and referenced in my previous post where clearly it points to the contrary. So if you sell something why would you think the seller would still have control of anything? The employees were ASUS employees before June 1 2010 so yes ASUS influence is there but it was 2 years ago.
    With all the posted articles and information on the net saying they are no longer one of the same I do not understand where the information is coming from that they are still working from under the same ownership or trading information. Please some one post legit sources to prove they are owned by the same company or they are sharing resources? I am just asking not trying to argue. At this point assumptions and claims are made but I see nothing showing otherwise.
  22. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    It's just you. You have no understanding of how the foundry business works, or what constitutes to being a "connection between two companies".

NVIDIA and AMD make their GPUs from the same foundry (TSMC). That makes them "connected" and "sister companies" by your definition.

Sapphire and Zotac: now those are sister companies, not only do they share a foundry, but are owned by it (PC Partner).
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  23. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    Its not the same, NVIDIA and AMD are not connected with the same foundry. But AMD and Global Foundries are connected, since it used to be AMD. Its exactly the same with ASUS and Pegatron, it was the same company. They only parted to avoid conflict of interest!!! Why do you think ASUS spun-off Pegatron? Becouse they needed money? No i dont think so!
  24. harambasha New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not in universe but on earth ;)

what features are you missing form Gene-Z or ED55 ? some PCI ports alrite but something else?
  25. majestic12

majestic12

Thanks Received:
    They (AMD and Nvidia) both use(d) TSMC for higher-end GPUs. Same foundry dude. Google it if you don't believe it! Same foundry doesn't translate into the same company.