1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 KIller (Intel LGA 1150)

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by cadaveca, May 15, 2014.

1. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    heky says thanks.
  2. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    The naming scheme alone makes me want to murder a basket full of kittens in the most horrific way possible. Fatal1ty is an overused branding that seems to be synonimous with gamers but isnt - yet brands like to use Fatal1ty branding as a selling point to signify that their product is supposed to be uberL337 for noobs that have no idea who Fatal1ty even is let alone what he does or has done for the gaming community.

'Killer' on the other hand is a word thats so overused and beaten to death and the name of this motherboard lacks creativity and also originalty

cadaveca says thanks.
  3. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    *sigh* yet another board with dickish EPS plug placement. At least they had the decency to face the clipping side down. Asus keeps getting worse and worse on their $200+ boards, now they have their clipping side up and every build I do with a H110 or X60 requires me to chop up a power supply cable. I guess Gigabyte is the only brand still doing practical build testing with their boards.

cadaveca says thanks.
  4. ChaoticG8R

Thanks Received:
    Looks like the Z97i has hit your test bed, how much longer for it's completion? Thanks Dave!!!

cadaveca says thanks.
  5. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Already done, just waiting it's turn for the spotlight. I've been doing good lately, four other reviews beyond that nearly done, two already fully done (but aren't boards).

ChaoticG8R and nemesis.ie say thanks.
  6. souleet New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi Dave! How come they got Editor's choice but have a 8.7 rating and BIOS issue?

cadaveca says thanks.
  7. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Excellent question.

It should be scored 9.7!!!

The BIOS issue is minor. OC performance and power consumption shows this is simply a tuning problem, since my manual tuning, which is nothing special, bright this board in line with everything else with my test CPU. I just wish that "stock", on all boards, was really "stock". I've moaned for a couple years now in every review about board makers that do tune their BIOS for stock performance should include a voucher for the Intel Tuning Plan, but in this case, it's a GAMING board, and most users that buy such a board expect a bit extra in that department.

As to SATA Express issue, my test drive is an ASUS Hyper Express enclosure, and it doesn't work with ANY board but ASUS boards properly.

Score fixed! I feel really bad for missing that, to be honest.

8. ryanmartin New Member

Thanks Received:
    If I'm not mistaken this motherboard costs $159.99 (for example see Newegg) not $199.99. Of course if you're including sales TAX then it might be worth pointing that out because that's one of this board's main selling points (the price)

cadaveca says thanks.
  9. evilacg New Member

Thanks Received:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/?category=Motherboards still shows 8.7 on this board.

cadaveca says thanks.
  10. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:

[​IMG]

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157505

Why Newegg sells it for $50 more here, I dunno.

Also please note that I write my reviews sometimes many weeks before they are published. When it comes to product pricing, there are bound to be errors at times.

11. ChaoticG8R

Thanks Received:
    Oh Canada :p

12. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The board is more reasonably priced in the US, Newegg has it for $158 right now. Though it was $169 a week or so ago. I think ASRock has dropped the price a little after hearing some feedback from their reviewers.

cadaveca says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  13. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I got the box and accessories by courier today. $160 seems pretty fair, puts it with MSI GAMING 5 price-wise, yet offers SATA Express. They just need to tune the BIOS a bit, but only for those running stock. Like, following CPU VID would be nice. :roll:

Since I wrote this, and now, a BIOS may have fixed that already. Minor stuff.

Of course, now that I have a manual and such, there's some HDD power-saving stuff built-in as well, with SATA cord in the box that powers the drives, and powers them down too. This board actually has a lot going on for the US price.

14. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Nice review Dave

cadaveca says thanks.
  15. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    would i be correct in saying that its a 'Killer motherboard that could cause some Fatal1tys' ??

9700 Pro and cadaveca say thanks.
  16. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    You know, I have to say, I was trolling through the Twitch website, and I found Fatal1ty streaming CS:GO. So I guess he's still playing competitively, which was good to see, but he didn't have many viewers. Not that I get any more, I might have had 10 at most. :p

17. 9700 Pro

9700 Pro

Thanks Received:
    I'd rather have an Intel network chip, than some "gaming" crap what is pure marketing for CoD playing kids. Just my opinion, don't get mad.

omg, like from Dave! Cheers for that! :toast: :)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    cadaveca says thanks.
  18. ChaoticG8R

Thanks Received:
    Trolling or Strolling Sir?! :)

19. valentyn0

Thanks Received:
  20. Gabkicks

Thanks Received:
    I've had this board for a little over a week now. It ran my 4790k at 44x multiplier on default heh. My corsair h100i just came so I will play around with overclocking a bit.

21. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Nice review.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  22. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    So I'd like to point out something to anyone considering this motherboard(or any Asrock Z97 Board with SLI). While they have went through the effort to use true black PCBs that look really nice, they even point this out as a feature in the marketting for a lot of their boards, they include poop brown colored SLI bridges! OMG, they are so ugly! I've bought a Z97X Killer and a Z97 Extreme6, and both have come with poop brown SLI bridges.

I tried talking to Asrock about this(as well as some pretty nasty BIOS bugs on the Z97 Extreme6) but haven't heard anything back on the SLI issue. And actually I'm kind of disappointed with the answer I got for the BIOS issue. They told me to return the board to the retailer for a replacement and hope the new board doesn't have the BIOS bug. Not sure how getting a new board that is the same model would sold a BIOS bug...

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  23. Hrhrhr New Member

Thanks Received:
    i really can't decide which one should i get
    ASRock FATAL1TY Z97X Killer
    or
    Asus Z97-A
    i think asrock has more feature but asus is better brand and has better bios.
    both has same price in my local store

i'm gonna use it with Intel Core i7 - 3.6GHz - 4790 and not planning on overclocking

24. Dave54321 New Member

Thanks Received:
    What is going on with those Metro fps benchmarks with this board losing by 70fps?