1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASRock Z77 Extreme6 Motherboard Detailed

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Mar 1, 2012.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Motherboards based on the Intel Z77 Express chipset are on course for an April 8 launch, even if you won't find compatible 3rd Generation Core processors on shelves, on that day. Here is the first picture of a finished and good-to-go ASRock Z77 Extreme6 motherboard, which will be the company's flagship board based on the Z77 chipset, in its main product line.

The Z77 Extreme6 comes with the same black and gold styling found on the company's X79 motherboard lineup. The LGA1155 CPU socket is powered by a 12-phase DigiPower VRM. It is wired to four DDR3 DIMM slots, supporting dual-channel DDR3 memory speeds with over DDR3-2800 MHz speeds by overclocking. Expansion slots include two PCI-Express 3.0 x16 (x8/x8 when both populated), wired to the CPU; one PCI-Express 2.0 x16 (electrical x4), wired to the PCH; a PCI-Express 2.0 x1; a mini-PCIe 2.0 x1 (for wireless network cards, etc.); and two legacy PCI slots (pray why?).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

SATA connectivity on the ASRock Z77 Extreme6 includes four SATA 6 Gb/s (two from the PCH, two from a third-party controller), four SATA 3 Gb/s, and one eSATA 6 Gb/s. USB 3.0 connectivity includes four ports on the rear panel, and two via front-panel header. Display connectivity includes one each of DVI, D-Sub, HDMI, and DisplayPort. Other connectivity includes 8+2 channel HD audio (Realtek ALC898), FireWire, and one gigabit Ethernet (Broadcom BCM57781).

The Z77 Extreme6 is backed by numerous features, starting with support for NVIDIA SLI and AMD CrossFire, LucidLogix VirtuMVP, THX TruStudio Pro, and Intel features introduced with the platform such as RapidStart and SmartConnect. Its UEFI firmware setup program also has a limited-functionality OS that just about gets you on the internet, it also has what's known as System Browser, which we guess is a filesystem browser (could be good to backup/steal files).

Source: CoolEnjoy.net, VR-Zone

Damn_Smooth and Crap Daddy say thanks.
  2. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Let me tell you why PCI. I happen to have an Asus Xonar D1 which is PCI, that's why!

Isenstaedt and INSTG8R say thanks.
  3. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  4. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I mentioned flagship in its main-product line (non-Fatal1ty, like X79 Extreme9 being flagship in the main-line).

5. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Ahh, I didnt know it was a separate line.

A Mustang Cobra (SVT) is still a mustang to me. Just as the Fatality is part of the the Asrock mobo line. Semantics FTL.

6. Dj-ElectriC

Dj-ElectriC

Thanks Received:
    Dear ASRock,

I am a very poor person who loves hardware.
    Im waking up with coffee and GPUs in the morning
    and goes to sleep counting capacitors

Please send me the Z77-Extreme6 :D

Kind regards, dj-electric.

7. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Dear DJ - Here at Asrock we try to market our boards with quality and very competitive pricing as it is. If you cannot afford one of our lower end boards, then you need a better job.

Kind regards, - some jackass that has nothing to do with Asrock and trying to make funneh.

8. Steven B

Thanks Received:
    hahaha that was funny lol

9. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I don't see much of a reason to upgrade from my ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3. This board seems nearly identical to mine besides the chipset, heatsinks and 2 extra USB 3.0 ports (which I have a Renesas based controller in my x4 slot anyway so I have 6). Any other differences I missed?

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  10. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    Maybe its just the picture but that board looks unusually warped to me.
    [​IMG]

11. THE_EGG

THE_EGG

Thanks Received:
    My thoughts exactly. I have an Asus Essence ST. If a mobo doesn't have PCI, then I instantly remove it from my shortlist.

12. Dj-ElectriC

Dj-ElectriC

Thanks Received:
    You get that kind of curve from the camera lens themselves. To make that kind if picture, they should have had taken it from a more far distance using an optic zoom, that way you wont get it.

13. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    Needs more SATA ports.

14. Dj-ElectriC

Dj-ElectriC

Thanks Received:
    Are eight hard-drives aren't enough for ya?
    This isnt a server board you know

15. bobmilkman New Member

Thanks Received:
    I noticed the distinct curving too. Lens distortion is worst at the edges of the image circle (and hopefully not bad at all in this situation, most product photography is done with an optically excellent macro lens). The motherboard is placed near the center of the image, so I think the board itself was bent in the picture.

16. radarblade New Member

Thanks Received:
    DDR3 2800MHz overclocking. Mmmm. That looks mouth watering to a geek like me :D