1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASRock Z97 Extreme4 Assistance Needed

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Kuroneko, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Kuroneko

Kuroneko

Thanks Received:
    Hello my friends!

I have recently installed my new motherboard into my computer, but due to a possibly negligence on my part, I did not know that you needed a fresh install of Windows 7 to utilize the new motherboard. Now I'm plagued with BSOD a tiny bit after the Windows logo begins forming, disappearing after one second and restarting the boot process. I am unable to actually to view the BSOD, as it leaves as quickly as it arrives. I am still able to enter the bios and change settings, so the motherboard, CPU and GPU is fine.

My hard drive came from a OEM computer, so it didn't come with a disk and my new case doesn't allow for a disk drive. I read a solution in which it was caused by the bootcat or something, but I am unable to enter safe mode, as it crashes before it loads up everything with a BSOD. I have also tried booting up from a USB, but it gets another BSOD, with the header "PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED", with the 06B Stop with some other similar numbers.

Personally, I don't want to lose any of the data on the hard-drive and I currently don't have another HDD to transfer. I do have a laptop however and a LAN/WiFi connection. Is there a program or tutorial where I can browse through the files on my desktop from my laptop so I can try the bootcat solution or at least transfer some of the vital work that I have to my laptop?

Any assistance would be awesome!

For those curious:
    -ASRock Z97 Extreme4
    -Intel i7-4790k
    -GTX 780 Ti
    -6GB of 1333Hz Memory
    1TB unknown HDD

~Kuroneko

2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Keep pressing F8 as the computer boots, eventually it will give you a bunch of options, one of them will be "Disable automatic restart on system failure". That will let you see the BSOD.

More than likely it is a compatibility issue with your SATA controller. What where the specs of your old computer?

Can you connect the old CD/DVD drive from your old computer to the new motherboard? You don't have to mount it in the case, just plug the wires in and leave it hanging out the side. If you can get an optical drive connected that will help out a lot.

Kuroneko says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Your Windows 7 instillation is a OEM version. Even if you get it working (which you can its just the drivers causing the problem) your license will not validate.

Plug it back into your old system and uninstall everything MB related.

4. Kuroneko

Kuroneko

Thanks Received:
    I'll have to try this out tomorrow, but thanks for the quick reply. I do believe it might be the SATA port, as it was from an old ACER Mobo. I'll try using the cables they gave me tomorrow.

I have disabled the instant restart and have found out that the error code is: 0x0000007B, which I looked up. Apparently the hard drive controller is different on the boards.

I've read about a solution using the "fix_hdc" method under the registry, so I'm going to try that when I get home, otherwise I will need to find a way to extract a few folders from the hard drive to either a flash drive or my laptop. Is there a way to do so?

I don't even know what's related to the motherboard, as it came pre-installed. If anything, I may have to use the above method to fix the hard drive controller.

5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The license will activate, but he might have to call the number to do it, it might not activate over the internet.

If you hook a CD/DVD drive up to the motherboard, you can use Hiren's Boot CD to boot into MiniXP and browse the hard drive and get any files off it you need. You can actually load Hiren's Boot CD onto a flash drive and boot from the flash drive too, there are tutorials on doing this around the internet.

Kuroneko says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. Kuroneko

Kuroneko

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I have a USB, so I'll try the Hiren method if the fix_hdc method fails to garner results. Thanks for assisting me!

7. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    Usually with OEM they will give you the opportunity for One reinstall, at least that's been my experience numerous times.

8. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    Good Luck!!

Kuroneko says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Kuroneko

Kuroneko

Thanks Received:
    Okay... so I've found out a temporary solution into accessing my computer, but it requires using IDE mode for my HDD (which is sooo slow).

I can access anything within Windows, how would I update my SATA drivers? Is there a specific directory for SATA drivers?

Jetster says thanks.
  10. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    So your other PC was formatted in IDE. New board is set to AHCI. There is a reg fix for this

1) Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
    2) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
    3) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
    4) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide
    5) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
    6) Shut down
    7) Start up again, but before Windows boots go into the BIOS configuration screens and change the disk mode to "AHCI". Save the new BIOS configuration and restart so that Windows boots.

When Windows starts, it will detect the change, load new disk drivers, and do one more reboot to start up with them.

Hope this works I just googled it !!! no guarantee

Or you could just leave it as IDE. After you install the drivers it will speed up

Back up your DATA first

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    Kuroneko, rtwjunkie and Arjai say thanks.
  11. Kuroneko

Kuroneko

Thanks Received:
    Actually, it was formatted on a AHCI drive, which is why I need AHCI, however, it seems that the AHCI drivers were actually formatted with that exact motherboard.

Anyways! I have solved the issue. Changing the drive to IDE mode for boot up and changing two registry values resets the drivers and it allows for re-compatibility. I still have to re-validate my Windows copy though. However, everything is back to normal :D.

Arjai says thanks.