1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Assasin's Creed is the 1st DX10.1 game

Discussion in 'Games' started by EastCoasthandle, Apr 17, 2008.

1. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Assassin's Creed is the 1st DX10.1 game

Read the review of AC here. However, you can read ATI's response here. This marks the 1st game that uses DX10.1 since SP1 was released on Feb 4, 2008. As you can see, it clearly improves AA performance for the 3870X2. I can only assume it would improve performance for the 3870 and 3850. I hope to see more titles implement DX10.1. If so, I am sure many will flock to Vista using a ATI's 4000 series video card. Also note that it appears that ATI developer relation team is finally reaching out to a gaming developer prior to the game's release.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  2. CoreDuo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've read a few reviews for Assassin's Creed for PC. They say that there's crashes in-game and exiting the game, and problems with the 8800GT, and that the controls for it are too "console-like". Honestly I haven't experienced any of these problems and i've got an EVGA GeForce 8800GT. I just used my Logitech Dual Action game pad and the game control issues were gone

:)
  3. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    hmm, interesting. I am glad you cleared that up for us then. Also, it's been establish that those crashes are the result of downloading an illegal copy of the game. No one has figured out if that was done deliberately or if the game's coding wasn't finished yet.
  4. cooler

cooler New Member

Thanks Received:
    great move by ubisoft
    also this game run better on dx10
  5. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    If MS had any sense they would pimp DX10.1 in more titles to sell more copies of Vista :rolleyes:
  6. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    They're idiots. I have no issues with my 8800GT and I have the game maxed out. I dont see how the keyboard/mouse controls are too "console-like" either. They just want something to bitch about.
  7. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    It does. I am running it in DX10 mode with my 2900XT.
  8. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    AA finally working with HDR, DX10, etc

[​IMG]
    AC using DX10 only :banghead:

[​IMG]
    AC using no AA

[​IMG]
    AC using AA with DX10.1 :toast: :rockout:
  9. Megasty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Man, I only played it once since I installed my X2 & never paid any attention to how well it was playing. It did seem to be faster than my SLI'd gts setup. Maybe I should try it with AA since AA never worked with the gts.
  10. CoreDuo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hallelujah :respect:

At least i'm not the only one that thinks this is the case ;)
  11. Edito

Edito

Thanks Received:
    I have the game too and i play without issues and i just don't feel like a console controls the game just run smooth...
  12. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    me and my brother are running the game. we are halfway through or so. it has crashed maybe twice on us. i have an 8800 gts 320. he has 2 8800 gt in SLI. so i dunno why people are having trouble with the 8800 gt, cause he isnt.
  13. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    How you posted this information is not correct. There is no explanation given as to what the render pass they speak of. Therefore, there is no bug at this tim.e They acknowledge that there is a speed boost when acknowledging "a render pass" however, this does not imply a bug. Since there has been no explanation as to how the render pass negatively effects the game take it with a pinch of salt. ;)
    Besides, those who have DX10.1 cards and are not negatively impacted do not have to patch the game. Also, this news was spread by a nvidian focus group member in that thread's infancy therefore, it's credibility is heavily questioned.
  14. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    I found a very good explanation as to why Ubi is attempting to remove DX10.1

Source

If this is correct (and I don't see any reason why it's not) it would appear that Ubi is removing DX10.1 because having a separate Z-pass in order to use MSAA for post processing effects is costly for those with DX10 cards. Now who would care about that more ATI or Nvidia? :rolleyes:

Again, if you don't have problems and are using a DX10.1 video card there is no reason to download or accept downloads to update the game to remove it at this time. Unless there some serious issue that hampers you from playing the game as intended.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  15. d_originaldappa

d_originaldappa New Member

Thanks Received:
    Gamers and Vista.

This may stray from the topic a little. Whay do gamers fear vista so much? I have vista and yes there are a lot of problems, but I still use it along with xp. I mean xbox owners ditched their xbox and bought a whole new console to play next gen games, why do PC gamers want to stay with their same old hardware?

Yes games run better in XP, if you built up your PC well enough this would only be a slight problem. Besides, directx 10 is the future for gaming why don't we embrace it? If XP gamers want to stay i the past, why do they complain so much. It's annoying.
  16. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    It's not fear, it's preference. The real question is, "Why should players buy another OS when they can play the same game in XP?" There was a time were you had to buy a new OS because we went through a transition from dos base to NT based and the benefits were very obvious. Since the release of Vista there have been no tangible benefits to date except for DX10.1 which improved AA in deferred shader games. Which we have yet to see in volume yet. As far as DX10 based games there isn't any compelling reason to buy a new OS just for a few graphical changes. That's asking a lot from a gamer.

As far as Xbox to Xbox360 is concerned you cannot play 360 games on a xbox and it's not "just because" but do to technical merit. Also, the improvements and benefits (better games, marketplace, watching movies in HD, d/l'ing demos, etc) found on a 360 outweighed any other option the original xbox offered making it a hit. These are tangible benefits over the xbox that appeal to a lot of people. The tangible benefits going from XP to Vista just aren't there. Compound that with the higher system requirements and lower frame rates and you have a recipe for disaster.

From what I read around the net Vista was never really meant to be. Because Vienna wasn't ready they came up with an alternative which was called Longhorn (which later became Vista without many features totted in Vienna). Unless Win7 is Fuji it should be nothing like Vista but time will tell. In a sense asking people why they refuse to buy another OS such as Vista IMO is like asking why people don't use more embroidered paper. It maybe what you like because it looks pretty and it's different. But others simply prefer just copy paper instead because of the many uses they have for it. I have tried to answer this as best I can but if you want to go further you can create a new thread. I don't want this thread derailed, thanks :toast:
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  17. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Looks good enough in DX9 i think... As for crashes i get them but thats due to the copyright program trying to shut down my firewall. O yeah it's for ever sending info over the net every 3-10 seconds ( Well trys too. ).

Glad to say it's a good port to the PC. Well after finally getting used to the movement.

EDIT: Well ya gotta expent it run better anyways 1/3 of the dam pictures missing lol..
  18. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    Can you block it with XP's firewall?
  19. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    Here are more reviews found:
    PC Games Hardware, English translation added
    PCZilla

So far all say the same thing, DX10.1 is an improvement over DX10.
  20. MikeJeng

MikeJeng New Member

Thanks Received:
    HOLY SNAP IT'S ALL TRUE.

I have assassins creed for Pc.

It crashes every 1.5Hrs. Luckily, it saves everything.
  21. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Here's pic what i am on about. It try's to kill it and fails to do so as you can see. If this message pops up i have to quit the game and run it again till this message don't pop up( normally the second try ). And i can completely block it from the internet as long as i do that.
    [​IMG]

I do not and never used XP or any of MS's firewalls as they are not up to my liking. How would you know if it had not turned the MS firewall off ?. I am guessing but i think it turns the MS firewall off when the game is ran.

EDIT: As long as i did what i said in this post the game has NEVER crashed on me and played it waaaaaay more than 1.5 hours lol...
  22. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    As you can see the blocks here. The drmstub-am.txt which i think going by name is DRM...
    [​IMG]
  23. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    Ok thanks for the info. What program are you using then?
  24. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Outpost Firewall Pro 4.0. Outpost Firewall Pro 2008 is the newer version but needs a load of work done to it till i see it as good as.
    http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/download.php
    EastCoasthandle says thanks.
  25. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    Great thanks a bunch. This will come in handy when they attempt to update this patch. Some believe it will be a "forced" update. I don't know how true that is though. I take it that Zone Alarm Pro is just as good?