1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

assembling the 3820 rig

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by moocow0463, May 11, 2012.

1. moocow0463

Thanks Received:
    so i finally got all my parts here for the i7 3820. which include asus p9x79 mobo 8gb of rip jaw ram and the silver arrow cooler. however since the silver arrow cooler is GIGANTIC it hits one of the 4 ram sticks in the first dimm. the motherboard has 8 dimms for ram im only using 4. pairing all the odd slots (2 on each side of the proccessor) but the push fan hits...even without ram in the slots it covers 3 dimms. what should i do...would it be acceptable to move all the ram into the dimms on the other side of the cooler??

edit:

heres my board
    [​IMG]
    heres my heatsink turned sidways intaking from the bottom exhaust out the top seems to fit
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  2. BraveSoul

Thanks Received:
    put 2 sticks on each side ?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. moocow0463

Thanks Received:
    thats how i have it, (preffered setup according to asus) and it hits one of the 2 sticks on the front of the board....i just turned the cooler sidways intaking from the bottom exhausting out the top and that actually seems to fit...it covers up pci-e 1 but i have 2 other 16x pci-e slots i dont really need the first one..pics in first post now

all my ram is in the light blue slots, the fan hits the ram in the first blue slot on the right side.
  4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    use it as a pull/pull. set one fan in the middle and one on the back, assuming you don't have a similar clearance issue.
  5. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I have the same CPU and motherboard, putting all 4 sticks on the same side will only give you dual channel. You won't be disappointed by this combo. I got a Zalman CNPS9900 MAX because I wanted to make sure i could populate all 8 slots with tall memory, even if I'm only running 4 now, that will eventually change way down the road, I'm sure.
  6. moocow0463

Thanks Received:
    it would be the same issue

alright ill run my fan with push/pull exhausting out the top of my case. i have the haf 932 so the case has good air flow from all directions it shouldnt be an issue then ill get to run all my ram. with just dual channel ram i wouldnt be able to do the things this rig needs to do. in the future if i need more ram ill run some low profile ram or change coolers