1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Assigning Next Track to MX518 Mouse?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by OrbitzXT, Aug 30, 2008.

1. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    The keyboard I liked a lot died and I used to have buttons for both next and previous track...which was very nice for playing games. Now if I'm playing a game and the backstreet boys come on (That uh...my sister downloaded? Yes...that sounded believable, they won't make fun of me), I'd have to alt tab to change the song. I'm using a generic keyboard now, no extra buttons or anything on it, but I have my MX518 mouse from Logitech that has buttons on it I'm not using. Is there any software that would allow me to turn them into a command like next track?

I have the SetPoint software from Logitech but I don't see anything there that would allow me to.
  2. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I found a program called X-Mouse Button Control, which works but it only allows for 5 buttons to be changed...left and right click, clicking the mouse wheel and the two on the side. All of which I use a lot. My mouse has another 3 buttons near the middle that I'd like to be able to customize if anyone knows a better program?
  3. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the 3 in the middle ...2 are for the DPI selection on the fly. The other is to swap apps on desktop, not sure those are programable!
  4. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Yeah the DPI buttons aren't programmable. Guess it's time to get a fancier keyboard.:laugh:
  5. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    In Logitech's SetPoint software I can change what they do, only Next Track isn't in the list of programmable functions.
  6. PuMA

PuMA New Member

Thanks Received:
    is there a key-combo for next track in ur player? if so u can config the mouseĀ“s 2 buttons on the side for the key-combo.
  7. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I figured out how to get the two side buttons to be programmed, but I actually need those for more important things. Is there a way I can actually assign keys on the keyboard to do Next/Previous Track?
  8. Wshlist New Member

Thanks Received:
  9. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I downloaded it but I don't quite understand how to use it. I'd like to make maybe either some F keys as Next/Previous Track, or maybe make Page Up/Down as those two...or for example F5 & F6 as previous and next track, then F7 and F8 as volume up/down.