1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus 670 vs Asus 670 top

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by AT49ers, Sep 13, 2012.

1. AT49ers New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was wondering what the difference between the 670 top edition and asus's regular 670 was because i wanted to buy it on newegg (free borderlands 2 with anything over 660 ti) but the top edition has been discontinued. Is the top worth me not getting boarderlands 2? Thanks:):):)

2. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Higher binning on the GPU chip and higher factory clock settings. TOPs can also usually be OCed a bit higher, but mileage varies on anything IC.

The Giga 660 Ti can be had for $285 w/ MIR thru Sept and it includes Borderlands 2.

Amazon still lists the 670 TOP, though is waiting to get more in. Newegg is quick to discontinue items they have trouble getting large quantities of. It's simply an overhead decision to avoid lots of orders they can't fill and streamlines their database.

The question is, do you REALLY want to spend 50% more for a 670 TOP, and wait to get it, for only 10% better performance? $430 is a lot to spend when you only get marginally better performance.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  3. Black Mesa New Member

Thanks Received:
    Get the cheaper one for you will gain hardly a frame per second on the top model.

4. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    No need for top. Asus stock will easilly OC to Tops specs.

5. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Well, though I do agree to an extent that it's a waste of money, in all fairness, people buy the TOP to OC the hell out of them, so saying the base model clocks to it's speed is kinda missing the point.

6. punani

punani

Thanks Received:
    This^^

I got the non-TOP version and clocking to TOP specs was no problemo. :cool:

7. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    That's expected, not a revelation. The real test is in putting a TOP against a non TOP model and seeing which hits a ceiling first. There the TOP will typically come out ahead, and THAT is what you pay that premium for.

Again, people don't buy the best binned chips to run them stock, they buy them to OC heavily, and most TOPs would make a base model run crying to mommy once both are pushed hard. Just sayin.

8. newlife

newlife New Member

Thanks Received:
    I used to have a asus hd 4890 top a while ago and it couldnt be beaten with overclocking by any other 4890 at the tme