1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS A8N-E Motherboard won't recognize PCI slots

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by mooken, Oct 21, 2006.

1. mooken New Member

Thanks Received:
    Trying to install M-Audio Audiophile 192 and wireless net PCI cards into my ASUS A8N-E motherboard (AMD Athlon 64 3500+, Win XP Pro SP2). I can't get the thing to recognize these cards in any of the three PCI slots.:mad: Thought the cards weren't seating correctly, so I removed the mobo & installed risers. Everything's seated correctly, latest version of bios & chipset drivers are installed, latest drivers for the AP 192 installed, yet I continue to get the error "Device cannot start (Code 10)". Plug n play doesn't pick it up.

BTW, I know the card's good. It works fine in my P-4 system. Can anyone out there help?:confused:

2. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    DOA mother board maybe

3. mooken New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's what I was afraid of

Thanks for the quick reply. That's what I was afraid of...hoping there was some little bios trick I hadn't tried.:cry:

4. jcdenton21

jcdenton21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    and another pci cards work fine??? (for example old pci vga)
    look into manual and find what slots are shared
    I think it´s irq problem
    try just one card in first pci slot(first unde pci-e x1)

5. mooken New Member

Thanks Received:
    Known-good cards don't work either

I'll try that, thanks. I've tried three known-good cards (audio, wireless lan, and ethernet) in all three slots, nothing. (all three work in my P-4 sytem.

6. jcdenton21

jcdenton21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    what have you done with your MoBo?
    ist there something burnt?
    can you see cards in windows but with code 10?
    did you try older drivers?

7. mooken New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is the first I've tried to install PCI cards on this mobo. No other modifications. Originally the cards wouldn't seat correctly, so I installed spacers under the mobo to solve that problem. Windows still won't pick anything up. I used the device install wizard which still wouldn't recognize the card presence. Told it which card I had (M-Audio Audiophile 192), drivers installed, but it keeps saying the device won't start (Code 10). I've tried every driver available from the oldest to the newest. Same results with Linksys wireless lan card and ethernet cards. Can't see or smell anything burnt, system works well otherwise.

8. jcdenton21

jcdenton21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    and what else do you have in your case
    try to disable everything you don´t need (soun,lan, USB, sata ports, ide ports,...)
    ask your friend to lend you another pci cards
    I think it is bios/irq problem or board is dying
    unplug everything you do´t need
    write your configuration everything with psu
    so in device manager you see it like unknown device or sound card with code 10?
    I think it is not board problem but windows
    If you have another small hdd, connect it and install there just win xp sp2 pro and drivers
    it might work

9. Agility

Agility

Thanks Received:
    How long have you bought your motherboard? You could probably check for software problems first. Sometimes windows does really fk things up by consistantly not recongizing files. And like what jcdenton21 said, i would install another XP on a HDD and update it to sp2. Then try and see if the PCI works on the newly installed XP. If it doesn't you probably have a defected motherboard.

10. mooken New Member

Thanks Received:
    DaMulta was right...bad mobo was the problem. I bought a new one & it works. Turns out the pendejo who installed the original mobo (not me!) didn't use offsets. Board was in direct contact with the case which must've shorted out the PCI slots.

New board picks up AP192 sound card and wireless lan card. Now I just have to figure out the blasted configuration to get SOUND to come out the speakers.

Thanks all for your help. Never been on a forum like this before, but now I know where to go for answers!

11. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    .....possibly. have you checked for an option in the bios telling it you have a plug n play OS installed?