1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS accepted my RMA, chances of success?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by xvi, Feb 27, 2011.

1. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    [Update] ASUS accepted my RMA, replaced a 2.5 year old 4870.

Well, I bought a 4870 here on the TPU forums and it's given up the ghost. The fan controller died (but not the fan) a week before it started going crazy with artifacts/crashes and it's sat on my desk for about a month until I finally got the thought to look and see if it was still under warranty.

"Naaaah. This thing is two generations old now." but I logged on to ASUS's website and looked it up. Three year warranty and according to the serial number on the card, I have 6 months left on my warranty. Aweeeeesome!

I request a RMA and a couple days later, they accept! I had replaced the dead fan with a generic 80mm fan and had lost two of the four screws that hold the stock fan down. I have replaced the fan for the RMA using the two screws I had left.

So, anyone else have experience with ASUS's RMA service? I've heard good things about their service department, but do you think they'd reject it due to two screws?

Update: On March 24, I received my replacement 4870. Oddly, they did not notify me that my card was received, accepted or that a replacement had been set out. Details on page 2.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    Dunno but I`m guessing they won`t. Good luck tho` !

3. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I hope youre not expecting a 4870 back. they will most likely not bother to fix it and just send you out a 5770 instead since the 4870 is old and they probably dont have that many floating around anymore

4. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    I have heard mixed results with Asus RMA department. I have heard some say they wont go with anyone else... but other say they have RMA'd with asus in the past and have taken months to get it back to them.

But since they are considered to be one of the better companies out there.... I would guess you are fairly safe. They have to be popular for a reason right???

5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The two screws might definitely throw up a red flag. Though they might just glance right past them if your lucky.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. Aceman.au

Aceman.au

Thanks Received:
    Ha in this world. COompanies will do anything to save money. I doubt he'll get a new card back. Warranty has been killed.

7. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I would've went down to the hardware store and picked up some similar screws for $.10 before sending the card in. Rather not give any company the chance to void my warranty over something so trivial.

I couldnt tell from your post if you sent it already or not, but if you haven't- replace the screws.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    ASUS have a freaking awesome RMA service. Call centre for the UK is based in the Netherlands where they're better at English than I am, they're pleasant and it's incredibly easy to sort out. Recently I've had to RMA 3 ASUS laptops out of hundreds and the process has crapped all over Acer, HP Lenovo & even Samsung.

As we're a Toshiba repair centre I do all the warranty work myself.

qubit says thanks.
  9. Spectrum

Spectrum New Member

Thanks Received:
    that's what i wanted to say.

10. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Dam i have some spare screws that would of fit lol.. GL with the RMA though.

11. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Should have RMA-ed it when the fan first died. I think by replacing the fan yourself, you've voided the warranty.

12. Icewind31 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Recently RMA'ed a 4850 and they still had a ton of those in stock to replace for me. They might not have specialty ones (the original 4850 I had was a ROG version), but the normal versions they would. I wished they woulda sent me a 5770 since i had a ROG lol... but they wouldn't budge.

13. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    thats terrible. IMO you should have been given a choice (or at least a better replacement card) because you did pay for an ROG version of course. so they took your expensive RoG and gave you a standard card back? thats not right.

in the last year or so Asus have been talking out of their arse about how RoG hardwares will get a better/faster service when it comes to RMA's. I suppose Asus forgot about that.

you should have asked if you could get some credit for the card instead of being downgraded to the original card.

14. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I've received a few asus products with missing screws. Even saw one person who got a P6X58D that had no screws holding the sinks in. Perhaps if this is a long running issue they'll think maybe they shipped it without them.

15. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    I think it will be country specific in regards to the quality of repair as ASUS use third party companies to do the work/replacing. "ASUS" have gone out of their way with the repairs they've done for us recently.

16. ckoons1

Thanks Received:
    asus rma is the best in my opinion as long as there is no physical damage

17. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    The screws look pretty unique, but I'll give the hardware store a shot before I send the card out.

From what I've heard, I thought the manufacturers generally don't care about aftermarket cooling too much. I've tried to make the point that I tried to keep it cool rather than let it heat up to 110c and throttle itself. I thought it would be better to remove the fan from the heatsink and zip-tie on one of equal or greater size.

In the RMA request, I did describe my problem to be:
    ..and yes, the GPU was cool (45c-ish) when it was spitting out artifacts.

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Spectrum

Spectrum New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm thinking it's not just the fan controller that's died... maybe the GPU itself has buggered up too?
    (Sorry if this assumption makes no sense what-so-ever, I've been up for 30 odd hours)

19. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    Sure enough, they had the right flat-headed screws. Oddly enough, they didn't have normal case screws. Anyways, it was 22 cents towards making my RMA more likely to succeed. All I need now is a good box to ship it in.

No worries. I've been up for about 23 hours today. I understand and agree. It looks to me like there was some underlying cause that affected the fan controller first, then as it got worse, caused the GPU itself to malfunction (which is why I checked the heatsink on the voltage regulators).

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    they will probably take they have RMA'd a good bunch of boards i smoked on DICE

21. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    i'm betting you will get back another 4870 or even a 4890

22. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    doubt it last VGA RMA i did they sent my a 9800GT ECO for my 8800GTS 512mb. i would bet he gets a 5770 or 6770

23. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    Lack of crossfire would be sad, but I think I could cope. :D

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    if the send the card back tell them the other card wont xfire with it and see if they will swap the card for another 5770.

25. Spectrum

Spectrum New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm thinking that perhaps the gpu overheated once the fan controller died, and then that's caused the gpu to go bad