• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus Crosshair V Faulty BIOS Chip

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
"Important News For ASUS Crosshair V Formula Motherboard Owners

I have contacted ASUS pertaining to the CPU/NB LLC problem and it turns out that it is not the bios. It turn out the bios chip is faulty. He asked me when I got my board and I thought this was kind of weird so I asked him why he needed to know after I told him.

It turns out that Crosshair V Formula Motherboards that were purchased before a certain date have a faulty bios chip on them that is affected by the FX processors. He did not tell me any details but they are sending me a new bios chip that has been fixed for FX cpu's.

I am a little disappointed that I was not notified or contacted about this seeing that they know that I have this board with a 8120. He did not tell me the date of which the boards started being fitted with this fixed bios chip but if you have an FX processor with this board then I would recommend contacting them and requesting a fixed bios chip for the Bulldozer cpu. Hell, I would even do it if I didnt have a FX cpu. He did say that the boards that were sent out before a certain time had a faulty bios chip that was affected by the FX chips. Not exactly, but something right along those lines. If you have this board I would recommend calling them and asking about this cause you might not be getting the most performance out of your board and chip because of this. He did specify that it is with the Bulldozer chip but he did not exclude and chips. So I would call and find out if your board is eligible for a new bios chip. I purchased my board in october. I had to tell him that and the serial number to, i guess, see if my board was one of the ones sent out with a faulty bios chip. It turns out that it is and he said the new bios chip fixed for the FX chips will be delivered to me within a week. Nice customer service I might add. I dont know how or if this is going to increase performance or stability or anything like that and I will be sure to let you guys know once I install it.

So, IMO if you have a Crosshair V Formula mobo, then I recommend that you call ASUS (U.S. Toll Free - 1-812-282-2787) and find out if your board needs a new bios chip.

I am glad that I found this out. I dont know if the faulty one was damaging anything or decreasing the performance of my chip or affecting stability or what but a faulty bios chip needs to be replaced.

OP, I think you should post this on the first thread for other Crosshair V owners to see.

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to ask.

Hope I could help you guys and I will notify everyone, once I install my the new bios chip, if there are any performance or stability changes with it."
Source
Source

I just called and ordered mine, free.

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
I just contacted ASUS and waiting for a response via e-mail. The 4 digit number beside my 24pin power connector is 0503.

herculesx

Maybe the cause of my problems? I Have a Crosshair V and an FX-8150 that has been giving me problems. The last 4 digits next to 24 p power are 0705.I emailed ASUS ,no reply yet.