1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Crosshair V Formula - 2nd Slot stuck at @x1! No 3-way SLI!

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Heatshiver, May 6, 2013.

1. Heatshiver New Member

Thanks Received:
    I finally got a 3rd GTX 480 for 3-way SLI on my Crosshair V Formula. For some reason I just couldn't get 3-way SLI to show up on NVIDIA Settings. The third card (2nd slot) wants to be dedicated to just Physx...

I tested all the video cards separately and in 2-way SLI, each successfully. I even did some repasting to get better temps to no avail. My PSU is more than sufficient, and I am running Windows 7 x64.

I finally checked out GPU-Z and saw that the second slot was running at @x1! I read a few threads where this problem has occurred for others, and found a list of solutions to try that did not work.

My last attempt will be to try HyperSLI just to see if it does anything at all (with a Restore Point ready).

Any ideas or suggestions? I have sent a technical support email to ASUS, but have not heard back from them...

2. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    I know with my ASUS P6X58 premium that there is a setting in the BIOS's "North Bridge" page that allows you to select "x16/x1" or "x8/x8". Have you checked that?

3. Cheeseball

Thanks Received:
    Weird, the 16x slots are supposedly x16/x8/x8/x4.

4. Heatshiver New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the reply. I had checked this before but just did a more thorough search, including checking any and all available advanced options. Unfortunately nothing comes close to that option... Would there be a different name it could be under?

Again, thanks for the help.

5. 1freedude

1freedude

Thanks Received:
    BIOS update in order?

6. Heatshiver New Member

Thanks Received:
    The BIOS is up-to-date. I have never had any problems with this board, but this one is realy getting to me!

I am going to try to put a single card back into the 2nd slot and see what GPU-Z reads. Will report back after.

7. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    slots on that board as as follows
    #1 x16
    #2 X8
    #3 x8
    #4 x4/x1 (if both the 8x slots are populated it drops to x1 else its x4
    if you want 16x8x8 you can NOT use slot 4 at all it doesn't have enough lanes
    if the above is true then either the card or the slot is damaged