1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus crosshair v formula club

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by skellattarr, Aug 12, 2012.

1. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    It could be defective hardware.

2. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    thats what i think but i don't want to send in the mobo i rather just live with it

3. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    i just got the Rosewill Black hawk Ultra gaming case today could not wait for it to go on sale i paid 189.99 for it. worked on my system all day just got it up and going. this is a huge case but very nice. im so tired im going to sleep good tonight

4. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    For the price there is nothing close to it in quality. If you want the ultimate in cases you have to pay close to$400 and that is an amount I can not ever justify to myself.

5. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    do you have a fan mounted behind the mobo socket if so which direction do you have it blowing and does it even make a difference?

os2wiz says thanks.
  6. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    I was also thinking of doing this, with an old laptop blower-style fan i have lying around. Could post some results if you guys want.

Edit: didnt inspect your case's layout: I suppose my results wont matter!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  7. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:

Good question. I put a Noctua 120mm fan there about 2 months ago. First I had it on exhaust. I didn't notice much improvement so I reversed it to intake air and blow it around CPU. It helped a little. I then bought one of those Antec spot fans that screws into a motherboard screw hole and has a flexible neck so that you can direct the flow in any direction you chose. I have the flow directed at the rear collection of vrms behind the CPU. The temperature for the vrms dropped about 6 degrees Celsius. Practically speaking it hasn't helped my over clock. My CPU is a batch 1236 and probably came from the edge of the wafer so it has poor voltage characteristics, The VID is 1.325 volts, but once you go above 4.55 GHZ the voltage requirements are on a sharply rising hyperbolic curve. The temps even with H100 cooling on the cores hit 67 Celsius if I hit around 4.75 GHZ over clock under full load with OCCT or IBT AVX. I am going for a H320 Swiftech water cooler with copper-brass radiator 360mm when it is released in another 5 to 6 weeks. That should lower my temps about 5 to 6 degrees Celsius.

8. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    it sounds like putting a fan there doesn't make that much of a diference so I'm not even going to bother putting one there. having it blow in would cause dust build up in a sensitive area.

9. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    well i decided to do some more cable management on my cables when i was done i hooked the system back up and started it and got no video. i worked on it for two hours just to find one of the pci-e power lines came off the psu. lol if i would of only seen that in the first place it would have saved me a lot of time:banghead:

10. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:

Things like that happen to me all the time. Now when I have any major work in my PC like motherboard change or changing water cooling, I dig into my pocket and pay a guy I know who does it professionally. I am getting a little too old to spend hours on a project.

11. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    we should start a rosewill blackhawk ultra case club thread

12. GamerGuy

Thanks Received:
    I've swapped out my CHVF from a Tt Commander MS-II to a Corsair Obsidian 650D, it's so much roomier than the MS-II. The supplied 2x 200mm (front and top) and rear 120mm fans are pretty quiet. I have swapped the stock 120mm rear fan with a Silverstone blue LED fan for a little.....bling? The pic has a NZXT fan that I was trying out before getting the Silverstone fan. I am considering a H60 AIO WC system for this setup....
    [​IMG]

13. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    nice set up. when you get your water cooler put in show us some pics

14. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    here is a pic of the outside of my case
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  15. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    If you plan to overclock a Vishera CPU , specifically an FX-8350 the H60 will be woefully inadequate. I had one in my system and had to swap it out for an H100 that is still inadequate if you want a 5 GHZ over clock.

16. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    yep a custom water loop will be better

17. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Warranty sucks, but I would consider it. You should have a 3 year on that Crosshair V Formula. The only issue I have with sending my board out if I had an issue with it is 1) ripping all my hardware apart :eek: and 2) paying expensive S&H costs to send to ASUS unless you have a authorized ASUS dealer in your area. :)
    WOW is that your Crosshair V? That looks tiny in a massive case lol, NICE...:D

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  18. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    i think that all the usb 3 connections are dead on one side because only three show up in devise manager when there should be six but im just going to live with it. rmaing the board would only get me a board that some one else has sent in with a different problem. one time i had to rma the crosshair ii board and i had to rma it 4 times before i got one that worked.
    ok i just tested the back ones with a usb stick and they all work so its just the front header that don't work on one side.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  19. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    Well guys I just had to replace my Crosshair V board due to leak damage from my Corsair h100. It happened when I reversed the fans to get inflow of outside air instead of exhaust. Obviously the screws are manufactured a bit longer than they should be or Corsair could have installed a small bracket on the radiator in line with the screw holes on the fan so they would not penetrate. Fortunately the cpu still works as well as my HD Radeon 7950. Got the Formula Z. Now that I am back up Microsoft is trying to extort me to reactivate windows 7 and * partitions for a fee??? I called an 800 mumber and I got some company in India that Microsoft contracts to. They wanted $79 to activate I told them to drop dead. Just because of a motherboard change under these circumstances my windows license should NOT be invalidated. If anyone knows a number to call where I can get this resolved please help me. I ahad bought another cpu in case the old one did not work. So I'll have to resell it on Ebay. Micro Center where I bought it is too far a way to bother returning it. Besides it was a combo deal. Got the Croosshairs for 199.99 with the cpu, a real bargain. So I guess I'll sell the new FX 8350 on Ebay.

Bought a Thernaltake fan cooler for $65 until I can purchase the Swiftech H320 a 360mm radiator with the rest of the H220 hardware. Soo i am running at 4.52 GHZ instead of my old 4.68 GHZ. Will Corsair honor their warranty or blame me for the mishap which in fact is a case of poor industrial design??? They would have to pay for the motherboards as well as the H100 if they honor it.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  20. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    sorry to hear about that if you try to activate windows threw the os it should give you a number to call then just go threw there automated phone system and say one when it ask you how many pc's its installed on. make sure you stay in the automated phone system don't get a person on the line they are assholes most of the time.

21. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
  22. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    d1nky says thanks.
  23. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    please post pics and tell us how it performs, its my favourite card atm.

may even be my next card purchase depending on the competition.

skellattarr says thanks.
  24. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    will do. cant wait its going to be awesome i like the ten phase power design

25. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    I have 2 Sappphire Radeon H 7950's in Crossfire. Framerates on all my games are way up there.

Super XP and d1nky say thanks.