1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus DirectCU II TOP r9 280x artifacting

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by tuunade988, Apr 17, 2014.

1. tuunade988

Thanks Received:
    I only just got the card 2 days ago, been playing games like thief and battlefield 4. I managed to reduce the huge artifacting in battlefield 4 but every now and than i would see square artefacting like images. About an hour ago upon exiting battlefield 4, 2 square artifacting images appeared on my desktop

EDIT: i get those artifacting in thief and hitman absolution as well.. a simple alt + tab can fix it but it comes back again after a while

Attached Files:

2. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    rma

3. tuunade988

Thanks Received:
    Apparently other people with the exact same card has the exact same problems.. i really don't wanna RMA it and end up with a card with the same problem..

4. TC-man

TC-man

Thanks Received:
    Did you uninstall catalyst driver and use driver cleaning software such as Atiman Uninstaller before you install your new r9 280x? If you didn't then try uninstalling the card and use that cleaning software and install the driver for your new videocard again. See if the artifacts disappear. I have a HD 7850 and I didn't uninstall the Catalyst driver for my old HD 5850 before installing the HD 7850 card (the driver did already supports the HD 7800 series!) and I get similar artifacts like yours. But after using Atiman's Uninstaller the artifacts disappear and never come back for me. On the other hand if after using Atiman Uninstaller nothing changes then your 280x may be really defective, e.g. bad ram chips etc. etc..

Or the VGA cooler's heatsink somehow doesn't really touch the gpu (poor installation in the factory?), and cause the artifacts for you.

So if this is the case it's rma time.

5. THE_EGG

THE_EGG

Thanks Received:
    I have 2 Asus 280x TOPs and I notice I get small black square artifacts on the taskbar and the top border of a window after playing games for an hour or two. Restarting the computer fixes it for me but it concerns me that I'm not the only one :/

6. tuunade988

Thanks Received:
    you are definetly not the only one "THE EGG"... check out the asus forums..

7. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    I have the same problem when I'm folding @ 1123 MHz. If I reduce the clock to 1100 MHz it rarely happens.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  8. tuunade988

Thanks Received:
    Im assuming thats your core clock? mine's at 1070 on default...

9. THE_EGG

THE_EGG

Thanks Received:
    I find it happens if it is left at default, under or overclocked. Same goes for the memory clock too :( It doesn't bother me too much tbh though.

10. brunello

brunello

Thanks Received:
    I had the same GPU, I had some arctifacting in game, with the new BIOS everything works fine for me.

check on the ASUS website:
    I recommend to flash it in DOS

11. tuunade988

Thanks Received:
    You sure...what games do you play? And how long since you updated? I've already updated bios I think it reduced the artifacting but it eventually randomly comes back. Maybe not huge flickering and aetifacting, but the square pixelated artifacting still happens.. what does DOS mean exactly? I'm pretty sure I did it via windows method

12. brunello

brunello

Thanks Received:
    The game that gave me artifatcs were : Assetto Corsa, Max Payne 3 and Unigine Heaven

I don't remember when I had updated, I think when it came out.

Searching online I've found that the problem with the 280x DCUII is that Asus mess up with the vram settings, the original BIOS was (for the vram) :

1600MHz / 1.6V

The new BIOS is :

1600MHz / 1.5V

now Asus has released the 280x DCUII v2 and it has 1500MHz for the vram

try lower the memory frequency to 1500MHz

13. tuunade988

Thanks Received:
    Yeah i've done that it reduced my artifacting dramtacially but like i said i still get the square pixelated artifacts every now and than..it happens in battlefield 4 as well but a simple alt + tab fixes it. While playing the elder scrolls online and moving my character around i also notice the square artifacting every now and than. Plus HAVING to underclock a card just to get it to work... that sucks...

14. brunello

brunello

Thanks Received:
    yes, now I've underclock the memory and overclock the core

I modified the new BIOS with 1175/1500 @1200mV and everything is fine, I also removed the "boost"

I can't tell you about the games you play because I don't play BF4 or Thief or Hitman, what are the frequencies in idle?

these are the default:
    Capture6.PNG Capture7.PNG

as I've already said for me the only solution is to use the new BIOS (1.5v) in combination with underclock

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    boozzer says thanks.
  15. boozzer New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know this is horrible, horrible necroing of this thread, so sorry. but please, please, someone point me to a guide on how to edit bios and underclock my asus 280x. I am using msi afterburner to force 70% fan speed, 1000 max core and 1500 mem. but I still get artifact from time to time. bios is up to date according to asus gpu tweak. I have no idea how to check if my core v is 1.5 or 1.6. if I can keep the core at 1070 but lower the mem to 1500 n lower the volt to 1.5, maybe the artifacts would finally go away. I just want to try everything my self before rma. from what I read after some googling, asus would just run some stupid benchmarks and return the same card :(

16. brunello

brunello

Thanks Received:
    I had some bios modified by me for this gpu, if you want I can send it to you. You know how to flash?

I got rid of artifact with the settings I wrote in the previous post.

boozzer says thanks.
  17. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Same problems with a Gigabyte R9 280X Windforce from eBay which has default clocks of 1100/1500. I had to underclock the RAM from 1500 to 1400MHz and it's fine then, may try VBE7 at some point.

boozzer says thanks.
  18. boozzer New Member

Thanks Received:
    if you could send me the modified bios, it would be great. you are the entire reason I signed up to post bro! also, if you can point me to a guide on how to flash, it would be awesome. if it is simple enough, maybe you can list the steps here directly.

@Jstn7477 is VBE7 what I need to flash the bios? and yea, I also bought this card from ebay. didn't know about the artifact problem plaguing the asus cards after I bought it. all the reviews I have read never mentions them :( I would stick with hardwareswap on reddit in the future, more personal and maybe safer.

19. brunello

brunello

Thanks Received:
    VBE7 is for modifying the bios, for flashing the bios you need ATIflash, you must create a USB with the program I'll attach later (now I'm with my phone) and then I'll write you what to do

boozzer says thanks.
  20. boozzer New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey, no hurry, anytime you got time would be 100% fine. I got all weekend.

21. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    The ATIFlash non-Windows (DOS only) version: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2306/atiflash-4-17/

Making a bootable USB easily with Rufus (without using the HP tool and win98 files): http://www.howtogeek.com/136987/how-to-create-a-bootable-dos-usb-drive/

Flashing: http://www.overclock.net/t/640063/how-to-flash-ati-cards

I'd recommend using ATIFlash to backup the BIOS over GPU-Z, as GPU-Z seemed to have a problem with my R9 290's BIOS and I ended up bricking one of the two BIOSes, so I got a clean one off of the TPU database, booted off the second BIOS and flipped the switch to the first (bricked) BIOS before flashing.

ALSO, make sure you rename the BIOS to an 8 character name unless FreeDOS somehow isn't limited by this. Example: GBR9280X.ROM

boozzer says thanks.
  22. odemmah New Member

Thanks Received:
    the new bios that is on asus' webpage doesn't change the memory voltage to 1.5v....at least thats what some people say. and it cannot be changed....I hope thats not true and brunello is right about his statement because I wanna buy this card and hoping that there are solutions to get this card work properly.

23. boozzer New Member

Thanks Received:
    um, if you didn't buy it yet, choose a different one, asus 280x got super high rate of artifacts. not saying other brands doesn't but the chance of you getting one is a hell of alot lower. the matrix versions allows you to change mem voltages, it isn't locked. but why down clock when asus charged 50$ premium for the oc? the horror stories after I googled asus 280x artifact is crazy. some of them get back to back cards with the same problems. and remember, rma = you, the card owner pay for shipping both ways. if I had this info before I bought it, I am 100% sure I would have gone with another brand.

edit: typo

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  24. boozzer New Member

Thanks Received:
    need some help with rufus. step 2: Ensure the “Create a bootable disk using” checkbox is enabled and ensure FreeDOS is selected. (Rufus includes FreeDOS, so you won’t have to download anything else.)

I don't see any option to select freedos. the drop down box has iso image and DD image.

25. odemmah New Member

Thanks Received:
    what the???.....280 also has artifacts?.....but its both mem and clock speeds are really low dont know much about its mem voltage but I haven't heard anything bad about 280 till now. So you say I should stay away from asus then:(