1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS GeForce GTX 590 3072 MB

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by W1zzard, Mar 22, 2011.

1. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i dont think it's completely broken as in "it doesnt work at all". but apparently i managed to create a case where it didnt do what it was supposed to

2. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Just fess up dude - you touched it inappropriately and it didn't like it. You made it cry sparks.

You technophiles make me sick......

3. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    the 24 sided dice that i roll to get my review data fell on the card and caused a short circuit

N3M3515, yogurt_21, wolf and 6 others say thanks.
  4. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    And what did you get from the roll? :p

5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Nvidia and Charlie Sheen hooked up to bring firey death!

6. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Great Review W1zz. Makes me think twice about seeing that card in my system.

@cadaveca... Man, Mailman would love to have some more pron.. Seeing you or Rockz mug on youtube.. :roll:

cadaveca says thanks.
  7. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Icosikaitetragon eh?

I sense an old roleplayer in the mist.

Next time you try frying a +100 Attack GFX card, make sure you're wearing +100 Flame resistant rabbit hide boots.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  8. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't "Attack" only deal with melee and not element-based attacks? :p

9. alexsubri

alexsubri New Member

Thanks Received:
    you mean rick rolled?
    [​IMG]

10. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Not such a bad card....

After reading quite a lot of reviews i think folk should take stock of what is actually a really good achievement. Given a year ago, a 512 core single Fermi was a laughable myth (even by me!). To see it now as a dual card performing with (on majority of reviews) a much quieter noise level than AMD's 6990 and for all intents and purposes tying with it for performance whilst being smaller form too, is quite exceptional.

We laughed at the dust buster of the early GTX 480 but seem to forgive the 6990. Why? The 590 consistently across reviews is far quieter than the 6990 which makes it a more tolerable stock card to use.

Yes it's not as good as GTX 580 sli but it's clocked much lower to make it acceptable to industry standards (though just). There are plenty of reviews with overclocked cards (not overvolted) with performance being far better.

For a card as big and as noisy as the 6990, you'd want it to destroy the 590. It doesn't. Likewise, a card smaller and so much quieter, you'd expect to be puny in comparison, it's not.

If you consider the 6990 to be a great card then you have to acknowledge the heavily underclocked GF110's that is the 590 is also a great card. End of.

MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  11. mtosev

mtosev New Member

Thanks Received:
    cool. the SLi *boom* will be interesting to see:laugh: PLZ record the cards while testing. I wanna see them go *BOOOOOOOM*:D

12. DanTheMan

Thanks Received:
    W1zzard, don't change a thing on how you do your reviews. You do all TPU members a great service with your thorough reviews. The same fiasco happened when you reviewed the 480 card and it brought about you questioning yourself and the "April Fools joke about you leaving". Everyone normally is biased one way or the other. I am normally AN AMD fanboy, but I do read the reviews on the competition just to see if I am still getting a good setup for a fair price. Do not let "HARDCORE" fanboys piss you off this time. It's getting too close to April Fools for that.

All in all YOU ROCK W1ZZARD!! :rockout:

13. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    Good one :laugh: :toast:

14. alexsubri

alexsubri New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

15. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    I'm not, i could careless about the companies, i just want performance(within my price range).:)

Fanboys need to die. lol

tigger says thanks.
  16. DanTheMan

Thanks Received:
    Just cause I'd admit that I prefer AMD, don't think that I've have not tried NV. I've had Nvidia Chipset MB, NV video cards, it's just they normally gave me a lot of trouble so I prefer to stick with what works best for ME.

17. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Right, i have no issues with someone being a fan of particular products, if it works best for you and it's within your price range then go for it.

What works best for me is always looking at price and performance gain out of it .(though i am starting to lean towards AMD more since im poor lol.)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  18. VulkanBros

VulkanBros

Thanks Received:
    Quote from Nvidia forums:
    Posted Yesterday, 08:51 PM
    In the web release driver of GeForce GTX 590, we have added some important enhancements to our overcurrent protection for overclocking. We recommend anyone doing overclocking or running stress apps to always use the latest web driver to get the fullest protection for your hardware. Please note that overcurrent protection does not eliminate the risks of overclocking, and hardware damage is possible, particularly when overvoltaging. We recommend anyone using the GTX 590 board with the reference aircooler stick with the default voltage while overclocking, and avoid working around overcurrent protection mechanisms for stress applications. This will help maintain GTX 590's great combination of acoustics, performance, and reliability. NVIDIA has worked with several watercooling companies to develop waterblocks for GTX 590, and these solutions will help provide additional margin for overclocking, but even in this case we recommend enthusiasts stay within 12.5-25mV of the default voltage in order to minimize risk.

These are guidelines only - any overclocking/overvoltaging can void your manufacturer's product warranty.

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    this thread is getting epic, a couple of popped cards and ppl go craaaaaazy. not to discount that a popped card is serious, and highlights the risk of overclocking a delicate card like this.

if you buy one just dont get overzealous :)

20. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I think W1zz was to kind giving this card a 7.0. The damn thing blew up! I mean really WTF does someone have to do to get a low score on TPU? lol

Awesome review W1zz! No doubt. Just wish you were more brutal with the scores.

Dude W1zz was not "overzealous" with the voltage bump. It was mild. This card sucks and thats the bottom line.

I would agree with you if the card didnt blow the fuck up.

21. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    I have to agree completely with you. Way to tell it straight! :D:rockout:

22. wolf

Thanks Received:
    Im sorry but I flat out disagree with that, with a stock voltage around 940mv, 1200mv is a LOT. my GTX460 stock voltage is 975mv and pumping 1087mv thru it is a lot to me.

nice opinion youve got there tho.

23. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Its not an opinion. Its fact. This card was rushed out the door to beat ATI. In the process they cut corners and BOOM went the dynamite. It has a fundamental flaw in the design. Remember W1zz blown card is not an isolated incident. You just have to accept the green team dropped the ball. They didnt even ship it with the right drivers. End of story.

24. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

why didnt the powercolor card blow up at 1.45 v ?!

yogurt_21 says thanks.
  25. wolf

Thanks Received:
    thats what you think and Im not trying to change your mind, but I havent heard of one dying at stock clocks, it trades blows with the 6990 very well, admittedly slightly slower on average, but while being shorter and quieter.

obviously we have different definitions of what makes a gfx card fail or not.