1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus gtx 690 or is it?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by maddogmorag, Jul 14, 2013.

1. maddogmorag New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi. I recently purchased a Asus GTX 690 with my new system. However I became suspicious a few days later when I realised that the driver disk and some of the cables that were still in their packaging had Galaxy written all over them. I did not get the box the Videos card came in. Is this a Galaxy card and not an Asus? In GPU Z the sub vendor is listed as ASUS but I thought could the store that built my system use a Galaxy card and flash the Bios with Asus Bios? Is there any way of finding out if the Bios has been flashed and if it was what was it before? Any help would ne appreciated.

2. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Your best bet is to check the serial number sticker and other stickers behind the card.

Also were the card and the system purchased from a store? They just might have given you the wrong box.

3. maddogmorag New Member

Thanks Received:
    The whole system was purchased from a store. I did not get the box for the video card. That is why I am suspicious. I will check the serial numbers however I am not sure how to relate them back to Asus or Galaxy. Maybe I might google the serials.

4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    If it is the ASUS card it should have a sticker with the model number "GTX690-4GD5" somewhere on it. AFAIK, ASUS is the only manufacturer to use this model for their GTX690(Galaxy definitely didn't), and I believe the sticker should be white in color.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  5. ruff0r

ruff0r

Thanks Received:
    if you can provide us with pictures as well it sounds so far like you got tricked

6. maddogmorag New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have found that sticker on the card and it reads like you said. So maybe this is a Asus after all and they have given me the wrong disk and components. I will call the store today. I have attached a picture of the card. Is there any way of telling wether they have flashed the bios on this card?

Attached Files:

7. ruff0r

ruff0r

Thanks Received:
    That looks like a Dual GPU card and even like a 690gtx. And yes they could have flashed the Card a Asus bios....but what is the point of it? to charge more money?

8. maddogmorag New Member

Thanks Received:
    The only reason I was curious is that I requested an asus card and had been invoiced for an asus card but all the documentation I received with the system is from galaxy except for the gpu tweak disk. Makes me wonder why I received the galaxy parts and disk.

Attached Files:

9. ruff0r

ruff0r

Thanks Received:
    Maybe and i say Maybe! .... a return card from some other costumer...or a retail OEM card without any accessories and they have to give you some what you would need.

10. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    asus cards usually have asus written all over them.

every asus card ive seen has their name on it, theyre proud to write it on the cards lol

im doing some research and maybe just maybe theyve done this due to the price bracket asus has. but why make it blantent with galaxy disks lol

not sure.... check the chokes they have the lil choke sig asus have. google hasnt shown anything

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  11. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    That card definitely looks like asus, if they are telling you it is a galaxy card then they have deceived you whether the Asus card is better or not. This would be a no no for a company in the uk. I would definitely pull them up on it, if only to find out why.

12. PHaS3

PHaS3

Thanks Received:
    I agree, the card definately looks like an Asus card. IMHO the company probably had an Asus card on hand without the correct accessories and supplied equivalents from another manufacturer...

My thinking would be, though, if the card is working fine, and you have the correct and working accessories (albeit in the Galaxy packaging), then you have nothing to worry about.

I would contact the company and ask why you received the Galaxy accessories, and confirm that any warranty will be honored as appropriate for an Asus card in case of any issues you may have in future.

Beyond that, I wouldn't worry if the card works as it is meant to (which appears to be the case since you haven't mentioned any issues with the card itself).

13. uuuaaaaaa

Thanks Received:
    I am pretty sure this is an Asus card. Look at the SLI finger, it says Asus right above it.