1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus GTX 780 DC II OC 3072 MB

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by W1zzard, Jun 12, 2013.

1. buggalugs

buggalugs

Thanks Received:
    Its just the default fan profile!! You can change it to whatever you want, you can make it 100% silent if you want to optimise for low noise.

Maybe Asus have optimised for cooling performance. Wizzards load test shows the card running 67 degrees. Even with overclocking, it stays about the same at 68 degrees so there is plenty of head room to adjust the fan speed down before you hit the 80 degree throttling point.

2. Warrgarbl

Warrgarbl

Thanks Received:
    I have to admit that I have never looked at any GPU-related software. I prefer to have as little background processes and programs running as possible, but I will look into that, thanks.

Good point with the Gigabyte cards. Thanks for that, too.

3. Lagittaja

Thanks Received:
    Just use MSI Afterburner or something equilevant.
    If you're really that concerned about background resources being drained you can change Afterburner's fan speed update period and hardware polling period.
    But if you're looking at a GPU like this, then I'd assume you have a modern processor as well :roll:
    P.S. I've got AB running in the background, mem usage less than four megabytes..

4. Warrgarbl

Warrgarbl

Thanks Received:
    Well, I have a modern processor, yes, but I suppose it is an old habit to minimize the number of programs and processes that autostart ;)

I'll have a look at it when I get home.

5. Abzug86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I somehow could'nt figure out why w1zzard stated that he's disappointed with the noise level of the card. Especially compared with the Windforce 3X.

Gigabyte's Windforce might be 3db quieter in idle, but thats pointless anyway since both card are nearly unaudible in idle anyway. Under load then, the Asus is 2db quieter while being 5°C cooler (which is quite a bit). Even under full OC - that is higher on the Asus' then on the Gigabyte - it's 6°C cooler.

So all in all some easy win in terms of the cooling solution - why then dissapointment the for the Asus, but not for the Gigabyte? Any idea? :confused:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  6. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Probably because ASUS cooler is so capable it had the chance to run a couple of degrees hotter while blowing out of the water other AIB's offerings with lower than reference dB figures :)

7. Abzug86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats why it has a factory-utility to set up a fan curve.... don't see the point in complaining about that if its just a 3-click-action to change it.

8. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    You make it sound easy, and it is, for the minority of us that bother tweaking things.

w1zzard also has to take into perspective the plug and play aspect of what he reviews, there are many people that just install the card, or make someone install it for them and just play.

9. Adamar New Member

Thanks Received:
    The previous generation of DCUII (on the 670, 660ti et al, but not the 680) was noted as being immensely quiet (less than 30dB on the TPU tests under load), so that the revision is that much noisier is bound to be a disappointment.

10. BorisDG

BorisDG

Thanks Received:
    I have a simple question. Which of these are better? The first one with the bigger cooling surface or the right one and why? :)

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      47.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.PNG
      2.PNG
      File size:
      55.1 KB
      Views:
  11. haswrong

Thanks Received:
    hmm only 8+6 pci-e power

i wonder what will be the next asus matrix brand..

12. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    These are the only non reference coolers that seem to be worth a damn, and about the noise, if you want true quiet why dont WC?

13. cowie

Thanks Received:
    Seems to be same as the 680DCII controler but a rebrand maybe? since the layout is identical just comparing :)
    looking at the board closely in the power area if like 680dcii it should be able to deliver up to 1.599v(if the gk110 can take it) under subzero and up to 1.35v with stock cooling....
    well at least thats my limit :D

14. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    So was it truly buzz free?

15. Yohannas New Member

Thanks Received:
    How long do you guys think it'll take til we can buy this? I'm about to build a pc, have all the other components... Just waiting for this!

16. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Just noticed the fan update. Now that it goes over 70c does it throttle and lose performance?

17. Xaser04

Xaser04

Thanks Received:
    Turn down a few settings and it is very playable.

At 3600x1920, High Settings (VH Textures) & Medium shadows my setup* is able to pull nearly 50FPS (49.7) average (34FPS min).

*i7 3770K @ 4.4Ghz / GTX780 @ 1189/7000

The 780 really does stretch its legs at higher resolutions.